The FastDay Forum

Fastonbury Glamping Grounds

964 posts Page 62 of 65
Previous 1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65 Next
Re: Fashionista Tent
26 Apr 2015, 22:09
First time in the Fashionista Tent. Hello all. Last Friday was the 2nd anniversary of the collapse of Rana Plaza, the Bangladesh clothing factory where 1133 people died. An organisation called Baptist World Aid published a Ethical Fashion Guide which graded clothing companies according to their ethical standards. I was sickened to learn that the company where I buy my clothes, almost exclusively, Sportscraft, was ranked as D-. I am now on a campaign to get them to lift their game. Last Friday, to mark the day, I joined a Global action. My action was to hand out copies of the Ethical Fashion Guide outside shops in Launceston. It was quite challenging because I wasn't in my own town and i spent all Thursday rushing around telling unions, churches etc about the event. I may as well not have bothered as no one else showed up. I did make it into the paper though and a mate from Devonport came. We handed out 100 Ethical Guides. We started at Cotton On. I think that is an international company. Last time an Ethical Fashion Guide was published they were down the bottom and the campaign targeted them. Since then they have demonstrated what can be done and have improved so that they are now A-, which is the top, the A and A+ companies are all 'Fair Trade' companies. So well done Cotton On. I went in and bought 2 pairs of tracky dacks, one for me and one for the OH.
Any way, the point is, I have to continue now to activate against Sportscaft. I feel broken hearted that a clothing company with whom I had a love affair has turned out to be ugly. I feel betrayed and disgusted. I have written a letter which I will deliver by hand as well as by email and by post. I can also write reviews on their on line shop website. 'I love these pants but wearing them leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth because I know that the cotton was produced in 19th Century cotton mill conditions where workers' health is damaged by making them.'
Sorry to be heavy in a light hearted tent. I just feel so dreadful that I personally have un knowingly supported an unethical company. I had to share it here.
And here is a link to the Fashion Guide: www.behindthebarcode.org.au
27 Apr 2015, 04:43
Dear @Sallyo,
Thankyou for your post. It is good to be reminded of the implications of one's choices. We spend a lot of time wearing ethical blinkers.
Bracken
18 May 2015, 02:29
So… I really really love yellow clothing, but I can't wear it because I don't like the way it looks against my skin. I found the perfect solution:
rsz_photo_on_5-18-15_at_841_am.jpg
rsz_photo_on_5-18-15_at_841_am.jpg (19.57 KiB) Viewed 836 times
18 May 2015, 03:26
You had someone else wear it for you??

:confused:
18 May 2015, 03:33
haha. no, that's me. The solution is that the white trim keeps the yellow from being directly next to my skin. I can't begin to tell you how happy this dress is making me. (which is a bit bizarre, I realize, but I've been pretty down lately so I'll take what I can get)
18 May 2015, 03:52
Dear @MaryAnn, both you and the dress look lovely! :) bright and summery. :) I understand totally how pleased you must feel. :like: :like:
18 May 2015, 06:28
@MaryAnn you look great and so does the dress. :like: Which reminds me of a spring shift dress I saw recently in Hobbs, white at the top ............
http://www.hobbs.co.uk/product/display?productID=0115-5428-9094L00&productvarid=0115-5428-9094L00-CHAMOMILE%20MULTI-8&refpage=dresses
18 May 2015, 06:34
oh, pretty!
18 May 2015, 13:30
MaryAnn you look so fresh and trim in your dress!
I' m glad its given you a lift,sorry youve been a bit down x x
18 May 2015, 15:09
IWOOT. It looks fantastic and your smile says it all.
19 May 2015, 10:26
YAY! Gorgeous. Yellow is my favourite and it looks great on you.
25 May 2015, 00:32
Sallyo wrote: First time in the Fashionista Tent. Hello all. Last Friday was the 2nd anniversary of the collapse of Rana Plaza, the Bangladesh clothing factory where 1133 people died. An organisation called Baptist World Aid published a Ethical Fashion Guide which graded clothing companies according to their ethical standards
Sorry to be heavy in a light hearted tent. I just feel so dreadful that I personally have un knowingly supported an unethical company. I had to share it here.
And here is a link to the Fashion Guide: http://www.behindthebarcode.org.au

I may be a little late, but thanks hugely for posting this. I've been wanting to find something just like this - it's not always easy to know when buying clothes, and this is really going to help, especially since I'm looking to add a few things to my wardrobe.
01 Jun 2015, 02:52
That guide seemed like such a good idea that I emailed them asking about a US equivalent, and they rather promptly replied. So, we Americans can look at:
http://www.free2work.org/
EDIT: This is an EXTREMELY comprehensive site, as well as being very easy to navigate - everyone should take a look at it. It seems to endeavor to be international in scope.
03 Jun 2015, 07:43
@sallyo, @wendyjane. 'The True Cost' the movie about who truly pays in the fashion world is now out http://truecostmovie.com/.
I love fashion but it is now the second most polluting industry in the world and I buy alot less than I used to and only buy quality so it stands the test of time.
03 Jun 2015, 08:26
Yes, @rawkaren, I bought this movie on line before it was released and am considering how to spread the message more widely. I have become super aware of the ethical status of clothing companies.
Previous 1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65 Next
964 posts Page 62 of 65