The FastDay Forum

Fastonbury Glamping Grounds

172 posts Page 9 of 12
Previous 1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 Next
Hi @barbaritaI thought Theory of Everything was very touching..and Eddie Redmayne played Stephen so well i had to keep reminding myself it WASNT Stephen. I heard Stephen's wife on radio 4 saying her part was played very well too. My only criticism is it was a bit draining..i felt like a wrung out dishcloth by the end!
Not going to see Exodus,will probably go to see Wild next and / or Whiplash! X
I have just seen "The Imitation Game" and "Mr Turner" and recommend both highly.

Although I knew of Bletchley Park (I think my aunt may have works there!) and enjoyed the recent TV series based there, I had not heard of Alan Turing until publicity for the film. Although there are some historical inaccuracies, no doubt to increase the dramatic effect a little, I don't think this matters. I found the film engrossing and moving.

And the cinematography in "Mr Turner" is superb. As is the realism (I think, not that I would know!). I loved that all the cast looked like "normal" people, no-one with movie-star good looks, and that houses and streets looked dirty or appropriate to the location.

And the cast in both films was excellent - in particular both Benedict Cumberbatch and Timothy Spall, who are consistently wonderful in anything I have seen them in.

NB I look forward to seeing "The Theory of Everything" when it reaches our local cinema. I also think Eddie Redmayne is excellent in everything!!
@Sassy1i agree..Mr Turner is a brilliant film,i found it fascinating, loads of detail and great characters
Have yet to see Imitation Game x
Not sure what my preferred genre is but I binge watched Edge of Tomorrow, The Equaliser and Captain America - The Winter Soldier on a recent flight. :)
Oh I'm missing out on all these films. Didn't have time in December because of my shop! I don't think Exodus is supposed to be that good. I'd like to see Theory of Everything, Imitation Game plus I'm looking forward to a second showing of The Babadook". It's supposed to be really good (unusual for modern horrors) but when it came out it disappeared again within minutes :confused:
Right, I'm back! Just wanted to share the news that I am off to the cinema tomorrow. Yep, first film of the year. I'm going to see Whiplash, which has gleaned loads of great reviews. None more important than from the number one film critic, Mark Kermode. He loved it and has said that J K Simmons will win Best Supporting Actor. I am REALLY looking forward to it now. Here's a little taster:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d_jQycdQGo

Sounds good! I hadn't heard of it, but will look out for it now. :)

I saw "Into the Woods" yesterday and enjoyed it. I AM a bit of a fan of musicals tho. :) Anyone who liked Frozen should like this - btw I was amazed how both my sons loved Frozen (I may have mentioned this in an earlier post). I think ITW is superior to Frozen.

I want to see the Aussie film Paper Planes next. :)
Hi @Sassy1 i quite enjoy a musical too at times!
I havent heard of ITW nor of Paper Planes..will keep an eye open for them x
Hmm @Sassy1 I'm not sure whether to see "Into the Woods" or not. I'm not REALLY a musical person (although I do love Mary Poppins...and Moulin Rouge :confused: )
Anyway, I've just got back from seeing "Whiplash" and I am buzzing! By the end of the film I was exhausted...but in a good way! This is a tremendous film...J K Simmons is the best. If you like Jazz you'll love this film; if you DON'T like Jazz...you'll LOVE this film!! Its a win win situation :wink:
Whiplash has certainly had lots of rave reviews, @Nursebean, which encourages me to see it too - I checked and it is on at the local cinema, though it's down to one session a day.

@CandiceMarie, ITW is a Sondheim musical which cleverly intertwines 4 fairy tales with a twist. Music is impressive, a la Sondheim of course, and story is clever. Meryl Streep is up for another Oscar for her role as the witch. Not sure that it is the sort of role that deserves an Academy Award, but I must admit that - even no doubt with digital assistance - her voice has come on a long way since Mamma Mia. James Corden has the lead role, and he manages the singing fine. :)

Paper Planes has won all sorts of awards over here, but may not have had much international attention. It is about a boy who decides he wants to enter an international competition for throwing paper planes. I don't know much more about it, but have seen the shorts and it looks like a nice film. I do like to see Aussie films if they are not too weird/ violent.

Btw I think I am the only person who got so bored with Moulin Rouge that I didn't watch it to the end!! I am not a great fan of Nicole Kidman, though admit she has done some good work. And of course I love Mary Poppins, :)
Thanks @Sassy1 for filling me in x
I didnt get far with Moulin Rouge either x
Oh I'm sorry to hear you didn't like Moulin Rouge. I'm a big Jim Broadbent fan and thought he was his usual highly entertaining self. One of the highlights of my life was when my sister treated me to a theatre trip but wouldn't tell me who or what it was. Imagine my surprise when the curtains flew back and Jim Broadbent appeared. He starred in "Theatre of Blood". He was just awesome. Love him!
Anyway, I liked the music to Moulin Rouge so much, I bought the soundtrack...it's one of my favourites! Ewan McGregor has a voice...who knew?!!
Ooh yes @nursebean..deffo a big Broadbent fan..in everything except MR! X
Hehehe! Long time since i had any bubbly gum!

Can't remember the last time I had bubble gum...or pizza for that matter! Image
Mmmmm pizza........

I watched The Butler the other day, loved it and would recommend it with a bowl of popcorn. Salt n sweet being my fave choice.
Also watched one of my faves the other night Pans Labyrinth ,unless you are fluent in Spanish you'll need to pay attention as its subtitled. I know a lot of people don't do subtitled films and it's rather brutal in places but it's worth it just for the fantasy figures.
Previous 1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 Next
172 posts Page 9 of 12