The FastDay Forum

Fastonbury Glamping Grounds

229 posts Page 6 of 16
Previous 1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 16 Next
@carieoates. Shall we rename this the Soberista's Tent then?
Well, @Lizbean, @rawkaren and @carieoates (my inspiration peeps for this month), I have been doing unbelievably well :victory:

Going alcohol-free has been remarkably easy. My usual drinking buddy is very supportive and not drinking either when I am at her place. 8 more days to go including today. I am more concerned about what moderation is going to look like. My problem has always been stopping once I start, especially if it is a particularly delicious wine.

The ultra-low carb program has been very effective and I have lost 7 pounds so far, in 2 weeks :shock: . Don't know how much is related to the no-alcohol rule as I have definitely not replaced booze with sugary drinks because of the low carb thing. It is starting to get on my nerves though and will definitely not continue. Never thought I would get tired of steak (confirmed meat-etarian). I am not following it strictly (supplements, exercise and carb re-feeds not according to author's plan). I am getting close to my Christmas goal although I may blow up slightly once I stop this regimen and that's OK. I will likely continue 5:2 with a side of moderate low carb. Given my success many years ago with Atkins and current success, I now know I am carb sensitive and really have to watch/avoid sugar, flour, "the white things",etc.

I think I am very close to ready to start maintenance. I am so pleased and amazed with where I am today and feel I have the tools to stay here. My ultimate goal is only a kilo away and if I don't get there, it's OK. I am at a normal, healthy weight now and feel great. Couldn't have got here without all of you. :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
hi @Judithn that's a great post! Fabulous news - 7lbs in two weeks slashing your plateau to bits is some result, go you. I'm guessing your success is a mixture of alcohol free and lowering other carbs too.
Bring on maintenance as you say. I'm sucking up your euphoria for the week ahead, so thanks very much :heart:
@judithn You rock! Great going for you. Fantastic. Well done :victory: :victory: :victory:
Oh forgot to say@Judithn one of my dearest friends lives in Ottawa, as do long time work friends - I'd love to make it over next summer if I can ..... another good reason for us to keep on 52 track - have you had a Ottawa meet up? :heart:
@judithn, well done that woman.
Yes @rawkaren, that's what I was thinking,
Wow what a great set of achievements all round.
Re: The Soberista's Tent
29 Dec 2014, 09:32
Tent renaming ceremony is taking place........The Soberista's tent.

I'm dry for January. My first ever, and inspired to do it by the ease of "Sober for October",

Who's in then?.........
No alcohol during January? Can we start on the 2nd? Only I usually have a glass of wine on New Year's Day. Otherwise I could avoid alcohol until June...then my sister and her family are arriving from Canada...I'll need a few drinks then, as will my sister :wink:
Bean :bugeyes:
Hmm I was just wondering. What if somebody was to avoid alcohol EVERY month? We could see if we can keep this going all year around. Obviously, I'm not saying we should all be sober for 12 months...crazy huh! No, instead this month @Carieoates has taken the lead and many shall follow. Next month, somebody else and others will follow. A bit like taking the banton.
I will certainly be joining the January soberistas...and then maybe I'll take the lead for March (too many birthdays in Feb!)
Bean :confused:
nursebean wrote: No alcohol during January? Can we start on the 2nd? Only I usually have a glass of wine on New Year's Day. Otherwise I could avoid alcohol until June...then my sister and her family are arriving from Canada...I'll need a few drinks then, as will my sister :wink:

Yes @nursebean, 2nd of January is allowed.
Re: Soberista's Tent.
29 Dec 2014, 12:10
Hi, I've signed up for Dry January, so will be joining you, hoping to shift a few extra pounds, and in the long term get out of the habit of drinking 3-4 nights per week. Hopefully I can get a few extra gym/swimming sessions in as well!
29 Dec 2014, 13:35
@Carieoates my dry December ended wet on six days :wink: two Xmas lunches, Christmas eve and day and Boxing day and then of course we have new years eve. Considering the time of year I'm pretty pleased with that - 25 days out of 31. Count me in for team January please. @Nursebean loving your new avatar.
As I went away at Christmas there is no alcohol in the house, so that is sorted. Is anyone else's home alcohol free?
29 Dec 2014, 13:43
For some having booze in the house is a temptation itself. But if I'm doing it I'm doing it, unfortunately my alcohol tolerance has jumped back up a few notches. It's not as bad (high) as it was though. The test will be for the hubs, if he can ignore the delights of a nightly drink after work. I will get loads of sainsburys alco free fizz in for him, and Beecks blue alco free lager.
I didn't drink on Boxing Day, opted to drive instead,
29 Dec 2014, 15:48
I'm in. I have cut down quite a bit this year. Partly because Californian wine is so expensive where I live and also because there is no fun drinking on my own. I also found out this year when I had my mammo that I have very dense breast tissue and the advice is to restrict alcohol. There is a hypothesis that those with dense breast tissue are more susceptible to cancer. Whether this is true or whether it is just harder to detect I don't know but it frightened me. Maybe the doc's on here can elaborate.

I did drink Xmas Eve, Day and Boxing Day and felt crap afterward so I am going to try and spend as much of 2015 sober.
Glad this tent is here. I don't want to appear to be the boring old f***. Thanks @carieoates for the re-naming!

@nursebean Great avatar!
29 Dec 2014, 17:17
I was just thinking (I know, it does happen occasionally) and I know I can give up alcohol easily and chocolate? Well I blew that one out of the water...but cheese? Now that's another matter entirely. I don't think I could go a whole month without cheese...or even 2 days for that matter
Previous 1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 16 Next
229 posts Page 6 of 16