The FastDay Forum

Forum News & Announcements

134 posts Page 9 of 9
Previous 1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
Intermittent fasting has been around for quite some time, but the 5:2 method was Dr M's personally developed regime for his documentary.
Brad Pilon developed his method of fast for 24 hours once or twice a week a long time before DrM came along. The difference between the two is very small, particularly if you only have one meal on a fast day when the only difference is just the calories in the one meal.
Thanks for your help Moogie and carorees. I think Dr. M's motives become clearer.

We all follow our own version of 5:2 - I know I do!

I am glad the system is up.
Putting life into perspective if we are all happy on this forum it doesn't matter what anyone else does. Life is too short to waste time on Dr M and his short comings
Moogie I think there will come a day (very soon) where you are thanking your lucky stars that you have your independent forum. If you were too closely affiliated to the book etc I think you would have a lot of restrictions placed on you as it could appear that people were giving advice on behalf of Dr M and I'm sure his lawyers are telling him this sort of thing. This forum is great and you have a lot of loyal subjects Queen Moogie. Independence is best :like: Well done for starting it and many thanks
Moogie wrote: http://thefastdiet.co.uk/commenting-guidelines/
Ah, so that's why they've been removing links to and references to this site. New guidelines say 'No advertising or blatant promotion of other sites'. Funny how they've not removed links to other people's blogs etc, even if they have ads on them. I'm not trying to 'promote' this site when I link here, just trying to provide people with more info without having to type everything out every time, and giving them somewhere they can go to find out more. It's not like the official forum is online yet :(
So I'm feeling a bit hurt that he encouraged me to start this place and now shuns it despite all the good we do. The spiteful part of me says I should ban people from linking to the official site, but what good would that do anyone when we want to help people find the info and support they need? It just seems a bit rude. Bet they get more traffic from our links than the other way around!
Sorry just needed to vent.

I don't want to sound bitter but I didn't get any information from the official website. THANK GOD I found this forum, or I'd be lost in the narrow streets of 5:2.
If they are so ungrateful, why send people their way??? :confused:
I've been here since late January and am on line most days.... I've learned an awful lot from shared experiences - not something I can get from the official site - I haven't been back there much at all.....

It's thanks to this site that I am about to start week 16.... And have mostly found answers to questions and support when I need it

And the part time calorie restriction of 5:2 isn't exclusive to MM - as per other posts there area whole host of others who have advocated varying approaches to IF
And even diets rather than fasts - a few years back I used a 3 day diet that worked on 3 days at 1000 ish calories and 4 days of eating normally....

Plus we are all working out our own variations of what works for us as individuals.... Be that 500 calls as one or more meals, liquids only/ complete fast, back to back days or separate etc....

So I am here to stay, to carry on sharing experiences, learning and giving and getting support !!!

Thanks Moogie et al
Moogie wrote: http://thefastdiet.co.uk/commenting-guidelines/
Ah, so that's why they've been removing links to and references to this site. New guidelines say 'No advertising or blatant promotion of other sites'. Funny how they've not removed links to other people's blogs etc, even if they have ads on them. I'm not trying to 'promote' this site when I link here, just trying to provide people with more info without having to type everything out every time, and giving them somewhere they can go to find out more. It's not like the official forum is online yet :(
So I'm feeling a bit hurt that he encouraged me to start this place and now shuns it despite all the good we do. The spiteful part of me says I should ban people from linking to the official site, but what good would that do anyone when we want to help people find the info and support they need? It just seems a bit rude. Bet they get more traffic from our links than the other way around!
Sorry just needed to vent.

I wouldn't take it too personally, Moogie. If I had to guess it has more to do with liability than with profiteering. A medical doctor using their 'Md' to sell books or whatnot will not feel as free as, say, PhilT or Carorees to openly discuss topics that can be interpreted as medical advice that causes someone to starve themselves and then they sue Dr M's pants off. Even MM saying something nice about this site could be held against him.

Here in the states doctors walk around near-petrified of how their casual conversations might be interpreted by really stupid (and litigious) people. :smile:
Just want to say what a marvellous support this forum is. Into my 3rd week now and on fast days, if I feel I'm weakending and want something extra to eat I just come on here - wonderful! after 10 minutes have lost interest in food! I shall certainly stay here. Its a life line.
carorees wrote: However, Moogie, I agree about feeling a bit disgruntled about MM's apparent attitude after he encouraged you to set this forum up. I wonder if it would be worth emailing him? You might shame him into at least giving us a webchat or something!

Personally, I'm not sure that would be all that interesting. I do not mean to discount the impact he has had with his documentary and PR of this way of eating. Obviously it has put a lot of people (including me) on the right path to achievable weight loss and better health. Possibly even more benefits such as a healthier/relaxed attitude towards food. That I am very grateful for!

However, I find the collective (colour me Borg) knowledge, experience, advice, support and discussion on this forum to be extremely interesting and valuable. (And of course I enjoy the tracker and stats!) It works synergistically and enables people to adapt this concept (which MM popularized, but did not invent) to their individual needs. I seriously doubt that MM has comparable knowledge. I even doubt that he has read as many scientific articles as our beloved assorted nerds have unearthed, digested, discussed and explained. So what do you expect from him?

There is no other internet forum that I am a member of (or even follow) - but here, resistance was futile and I have been assimilated. Coffecat now wandering off to the cinema to watch Star Trek into Darkness :-D

The 5:2 fast diet forum - a non-prophet organization
Ok, my first post on the site, I think anywhere. Your site is the reason I started this diet in early March. I read the book, searched for more information (which was a little tough) and then I found your site. I just wanted to hear from others what really happened to them, so I had a realistic idea of how it might work for me. Your information and comments convienced me to try it. I decided to give it 3 weeks and see what happened. I was hppy with the results so kept going and wow! Just hit my first goal today! Fifteen pounds down.
@coffecat: hopefully with 5:2 we will all 'live long and prosper'!
Welcome to the Forums, CDbridge!
Many Thanks Moogie you & Caroline make this site what it is today.
Joined the other at same time as this + Nothing has changed (on theirs) still got Xmas topics on. So I'm going nowhere at all. Sue
Previous 1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
134 posts Page 9 of 9