The FastDay Forum

Forum News & Announcements

134 posts Page 8 of 9
Previous 1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
This is by far the best 5:2 forum around thanks to all of Moogie's hard work and the wonderful participants.
As a biologist I particularly love the nerdy section.
TML13 wrote: Since I have participated in another forum for many years (travel one) I know for a fact that the most important thing is that everyone here understands the purpose of why we are all here.
Not to just get support but also to offer it.
Many people participate in forums in order to get what THEY want and that's it. I don't how how Moogie managed to gather all this wonderful people in this wonderful place but this is the main reason for its success. The willing to help others...

That's not my doing, it's this way of life.
I think it really strikes a chord with a certain type of person - the type who have struggled with their weight and diets for so long, but love food. To find a way of life like this is exciting and makes us all want to spread the good news far and wide, helping folks as best we can!
You're too modest Moogie!
I have no real axe to grind-Dr M is entitled to do as he pleases, but he does use his site to promote his own stuff so you could argue that his is an advertising site!
http://thefastdiet.co.uk/commenting-guidelines/
Ah, so that's why they've been removing links to and references to this site. New guidelines say 'No advertising or blatant promotion of other sites'. Funny how they've not removed links to other people's blogs etc, even if they have ads on them. I'm not trying to 'promote' this site when I link here, just trying to provide people with more info without having to type everything out every time, and giving them somewhere they can go to find out more. It's not like the official forum is online yet :(
So I'm feeling a bit hurt that he encouraged me to start this place and now shuns it despite all the good we do. The spiteful part of me says I should ban people from linking to the official site, but what good would that do anyone when we want to help people find the info and support they need? It just seems a bit rude. Bet they get more traffic from our links than the other way around!
Sorry just needed to vent.
Never mind Moogie. We all know where the real support / info is, and if they've any sense, other people will recognise that when they look around. As an information professional of many years I can see how the internet has altered so much how people access and use information from how it was done years ago. People who put restrictions on it, it's just like sticking your finger in a dyke ... Just carry on with the way you,ve been doing things here, and leave them to it :-D ;-)
(((((Moogie)))))

Your feelings are perfectly understandable.

Dr M should have at least had the good grace to write a personal letter to you before anything even became public knowledge. Manners cost nothing.
I think Moogie , that we are taking a very grown up approach to this and will benefit. Much as we might want to sulk and throw the toys out of the pram
Does that sound sanctimonious? :)
Aw Moogie, don't even pay another thought to it. This is a fantastic site and yes, the members here are amazing, but YOU started this forum and gave us the opportunity to get together in one place. We know you don't seek praise but in my eyes you're a little :star:.The official site can't be as good as this, because we have you and a fab team of mods :wink: Jo x
I am new to 5:2 and upon searching Google for information about 5:2 I found this forum to be friendly and informative, hence I am here and plan to stay here as it has a "family" feel to it. I have looked at the official 5:2 site but was put off by it straightaway and yes I am thankful for Dr M's book and to Horizon - but they are just the beginning; this forum is part of the journey and it takes information and experiences of others to help support us all along our individual journeys. Thanks to Moogie and all the mods for keeping this a happy and informative supportive place to visit, share, cry, laugh and learn.
Moogie wrote: So I'm feeling a bit hurt that he encouraged me to start this place and now shuns it despite all the good we do. The spiteful part of me says I should ban people from linking to the official site, but what good would that do anyone when we want to help people find the info and support they need? It just seems a bit rude. Bet they get more traffic from our links than the other way around!
Sorry just needed to vent.

The whole point of the WWW is to hyperlink left right and centre to promote easy access to information and entertainment, surely. A policy to restrict links seems counter the whole ethos of the internet so I don't know why they've gone that way - perhaps a "commercial adviser" suggested it to them.

ETA - Dr M would do well to remember that our "TV tax" paid for his original documentary so he owes more to the British public than his behaviour suggests.
Well, judging from the weak advice given by MS on the mumsnet webchat for people asking about e.g. not losing weight, I think that those who go to the new forum for advice will soon be looking for more info and will end up here! At the moment the official website is not really offering much help, with similarly vague advice, so unless the new forum works really hard it will not gain much market share. And as I've said before, I think there will be enough 'customers' out there for everyone.

However, Moogie, I agree about feeling a bit disgruntled about MM's apparent attitude after he encouraged you to set this forum up. I wonder if it would be worth emailing him? You might shame him into at least giving us a webchat or something!
I think the great thing about this forum is that it is established now, and there are a lot of older, experienced members who participate. The nerdy section is particularly valuable and I'm not sure that Dr M's forum will be able to compete with this one on that!
There is a really nice atmosphere on this forum and I'll be staying here. Not enough time for other forums and I can't imagine any other being as informative or helpful as this one.
A webchat would be a great coup, no harm in asking especially as Dr M was picking your brains recently Moogie!
Moogie, I wouldn't unduly worry about any other site, this forum has a good following and has already become well established!
No doubt someone from other sites will be watching this forum with interest and copying a few things, but that's the way of the world unfortunately.

This forum is very sociable and well moderated, which is a massive positive bonus, I wonder how long other 'unmoderated' forums will be able to keep trolls spammers and other such idiots away :?:

Keep it going gang :like:
My guess is MM is a victim of his success, he claims in the book
Dr Mosley wrote: Instead I decided to create and test my own, modified version, Five days a week, I would eat normally; on the remaining two I would eat a quarter of my usual calorie intake (i.e. 600 calories).

I was surprised when I read this and other information, because I thought the concept of 5:2 had been around a long time. Is he really the creator of the diet?

Have I misunderstood - I thought he was the populoriser.

Should this be a separate thread?
Previous 1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
134 posts Page 8 of 9