The FastDay Forum

Not losing weight?

Help us to help you! Please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!
Remember, we're not here to judge, we're here to help.

74 posts Page 1 of 5
Anyone NOT losing any weight ?
22 Jan 2013, 06:39
Hi Folks

I just wondered if there are any of you out there that are NOT losing any weight.

I have been doing a 5:2 for the last 2 weeks and have lost nothing. I don't know if it is because I don't have that much to loose. I was hoping just to trim down 3/4 of a stone. So far there have been no changes.

I have been sticking to a 500 cal or lower on my fast days, drinking plenty and I usually walk between 10 - 12 miles every week, even if I am fasting or not.

I see lots of people losing 3-4 lbs every week and I expected to loose some lbs.

One thing I have noticed is that on non fasting days I have smaller portions. So I am hoping that in itself will help me loose something. Albeit at a slower rate than anyone else.

So, is there anyone else out there experiencing the same thing? I would hate to think I was the only one on here not losing anything.

Thanks folks

Selmoon :P
Hi Selmoon

That must be so frustrating and discouraging when you are trying so hard. :(

I suspect not eating enough on non-fast days could be a problem?

But I will be interested to see what other more knowledgable posters think.

I'm sure you will be getting all the other unseen benefits.

All the best :)
Jo
Have you measured yourself? It is quite possible that you have lost inches rather than pounds??
Yes, some people have found they don't lose weight immediately or that after an initial weight loss they have a pause and then start losing again.

Jo may be right about not eating enough on feast days if you are cutting down a lot, or, if as you say you don't have much to lose, it could take longer.

Have you increased your exercise? You may be exchanging fat for muscle.

There are changes in the amount of water your body carries as well so you could be gaining water.

As Jupiter says, you should also try measuring your waist...it is a better guide to the amount of weight lost.

Don't lose heart!
That's interesting about weight loss going up and down, Caroline.

I'm a bit confused myself. :)

I lost 4 pounds last week after two fasts but after three non-fast days (not going crazy at all, just quite standard) I noticed I put most of that weight back on. After a third fast yesterday, I went down a pound, but still a bit up on last week.

So very much up and down. Due to water changes maybe?

I imagine looking at weight loss/gain over a month might be more useful?
Probably the longer the better...but who can resist the temptation to jump on the scales?
I have been following 5: since the start of Jan. I have about a stone to lose and didn't see a shift in the scales until today. Can't explain why. It's maybe because I haven't been out running in the snow to stopping gaining muscle.
That's interesting Echo - hope that gives Selmoon some encouragement?

Ha! Caroline I weigh most days which is probably a bad habit! :D
Not that I am a dietician expert, but I believe your experience is unsurprising.

Reason being, ( from my reading of the posts here ) most of us are quite a few stones
overweight, and it is a commonplace of dieting experience that a very overweight person
who starts serious dieting does lose quite a bit at the start quite quickly and noticeably.......... then after the first couple of stone have come off s/he experiences
a plateau, whereby no matter what s/he does the weight seems to stick.

This certainly happened to me five years ago when I did my first ever serious attempt
at losing weight ( by giving up all alcohol in my case ) - i stuck at around 15 stone ( down from 17 and a half ) - in fact
i stuck for so long I got depressed and gave up the diet ( I know - not sensible, but
human maybe ).

Anyway, my point is, be glad you Thinny ! you don't have that much to lose : maybe you are sort of already at the 'plateau' stage and it is going to take longer for you to notice weight
loss.

If you can, i would resist the temptation to look at the scales for maybe 6 weeks.
[ give the scales to Oxfam and treat yourself to some new ones from Tesco in 6 weeks time ? ]
If there is still zero weight loss ( which would be very surprising ) you maybe could take advice from a doctor / dietician ( i think all surgeries have nurse practitioners now who do that kind of work ) .
But stick it out for six weeks and report back on your findings !
Some of us need the inspiration. :)
Riv - that sounds like really sensible advice.

I'm going to review my progress after 4 weeks (peeking in between allowed but not necessarily helpful! :D )
FastJo ?

[ or Speedy Gonzales ? ]

If you have lost 4 lbs in less than 3 weeks - then you are
actually an example of the phenomenon I mentioned.

[Incidentally, I think it would be much more informative - for that
reason - if the template thing here provided for posters to state
not only what weight they have lost, but also what they were in the first
place; ditto waist size. ].

For what it's worth I just defied my own advice [ my scales are
about 15 years old and too far gone to give to Oxfam ! ]
and it appears that
one week after my two day fasting ( and one day through the second fast ) I am either the same weight or maybe even
a pound heavier [ scales seem to say 17 st one pound today
:( ]

But I will try and stick with it for at least another month.
Hi Jo, Riv, Echo, Carorees and Jupiter (hopefully I haven't missed any of you out)

Thanks for your messages of encouragement, I really appreciate it.

I have measured my waistline and it is still the same. I reckon it is because I don't have that much to lose that it is taking longer. Because of what everyone else was experiencing I just felt a wee bitty left out..... :lol: As for not eating enough on fast days, I don't even count the calories then, and I have been known to partake in a couple of ales and glasses of wine at the weekend as usual. One thing I have noticed is that I am not having such large portions as before.

It is a good idea that I throw the scales away for a while, but I think others in the house would not approve. I may just go with how my clothes feel on me for a while and then weigh myself in a month or so.

Thanks guys, I will certainly keep you posted.

Keep up the good work.

Selmoon
Hi All

Don't know about Speedy Gonzales, Riv! I lost 4 pounds after the first two fasts but most went back on after the weekend so don't know where that leaves me! Confused, certainly! :? Hopeful? That too!

Selmoon, maybe you will suddenly see a drop some time soon? Perhaps when you are least suspecting it? :o

Funnily enough, my clothes feel a bit looser today even though the scales don't show much.

Let's just keep at it and hope for the best!

Let us know what happens Selmoon :)
I have done 5 fast days and stuck rigidly to diet but have not lost any weight.I am trying to be positive but...I onlt want to lose 4 kg and would not be a big eater, no white bread,lots of veg, little red meat. I swim 2 to 3 miles a week and walk briskly at least twice a week. In Spring it will be about 5 times a week. My calorie intake on non fast days is only about 1,200 unless I drink wine at night but that is usually on Fri and Sat. On weight watchers I have lost weight. Any tips?
flower wrote: I have done 5 fast days and stuck rigidly to diet but have not lost any weight.I am trying to be positive but...I onlt want to lose 4 kg and would not be a big eater, no white bread,lots of veg, little red meat. I swim 2 to 3 miles a week and walk briskly at least twice a week. In Spring it will be about 5 times a week. My calorie intake on non fast days is only about 1,200 unless I drink wine at night but that is usually on Fri and Sat. On weight watchers I have lost weight. Any tips?

I would think the calorie restriction on your feed days coupled with your 2 500 cal days is causing your body to go into starvation mode. Try eating a bit more on your feed days - sounds crazy I know, but it has worked for quite a few folks :)

As for Weight Watchers, have a look in the resources section and watch 'The Men Who Made Us Fat' if you have the time to. It's a real eye opener about 'low fat' foods and why they're bad for us - and yet it's the sort of stuff WW/SW encourage people to live on!
74 posts Page 1 of 5