The FastDay Forum

Not losing weight?

Help us to help you! Please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!
Remember, we're not here to judge, we're here to help.

65 posts Page 4 of 5
Re: Anyone PUT ON weight?
09 Feb 2013, 13:16
Hairy Dieters book is good. I collect cook books but don't always cook from them but I've made stuff out of this one.
09 Feb 2013, 13:19
I've got the Hairy Dieters book too. The recipes I've tried have been good.

I put weight on the first week (only a tiny amount but still a gain) so I've changed my fast days from 1 and 3 to 1 and 5 to see if that makes any difference.
09 Feb 2013, 13:35
I've put on weight, so I'm counting up the calories for the last week, and I had nearly 3000 yesterday ! That may explain things !
09 Feb 2013, 13:41
Hi, I put on a pound last week (week 4) which was disappointing, but weighed in this morning 3 pounds lighter, 10 1b over all in 5 weeks, hooray! I find it best to weigh once a week at the same time.
18 Feb 2013, 17:24
I've also gained weight. My first fast day was 28th Jan (fast Mon & Thurs) since then I have gained 4.5lb. I used to have an underactive thyroid and so haven't taken thyroxine for years but sometimes wonder if it rears its head sometimes. I was hoping this would kick start my motabolism, so the gain is a disappointment. For the first week I ate what I wanted on the non-fast days but since then try to keep to the 1700 cals I need to lose weight. I'm on my feet at work all day so I'm pretty active, I hate exercise but am considering going for a brisk walk when I get home from work each day. I don't find fasting difficult because if I don't eat I don't think about food, so I have one meal in the evening fish and veg and just tea and coffee during the day with skimmed milk which I count as 110 cals. Would be very grateful if anyone can suggest anything or tell me if I'm doing anything wrong
18 Feb 2013, 17:46
There is a thread on fasting and thyroid problems. Can I direct you there? viewtopic.php?f=10&t=710
18 Feb 2013, 22:09
My weight is certainly not falling off me and this week I have lost a quarter of a pound with 2 days fasting and 5 eating normally but also sensibly so well under 2000 cals each day...I really dont know why I'm not as thin as a rake but I do feel good and have lost 5 inches of my waist in 5 weeks..so..I am going to keep going as I feel good and I do believe that this is the only "diet" I will ever stick to as it just makes so much sense...so stay with it JanPez and see what happens ok?
18 Feb 2013, 22:19
5 inches in 5 weeks?!! Ignore the scales, this is the important measurement!

Fantastic!
18 Feb 2013, 23:06
Hmmm...I started this thread a while back.

Am keeping a low profile due to being off diet for ten days and regaining the 3.5 pounds lost over four weeks plus one pound.

Not the greatest advert for 5:2, am I? :lol:
18 Feb 2013, 23:59
Yes, you are as this is the opposite of people complaining they've only lost a pound. It's not only the loss, it's not gaining either.
19 Feb 2013, 07:18
I agree with other Posts by that not eating enough on NON-fast days you're likely to gain rather than lose - this I've found out through my own personal experience having lost 4pounds on my 1st fast but since then gaining 5pounds.

I exercise a lot every day (dog walks, spin classes, zumba - practically every class available at my local leisure centre) and the only difference between my 1st fast and my subsequent 4 is that I didn't eat much on non-fast days because I just wasn't hungry (I calorie-counted on these non-fast days simply to have an idea of how much I was consuming and I averaged 1,200 cals per day). Therefore, I'm going to 'experiment' a little and make sure I eat more today (having fasted yesterday, Monday). I'd be interested to know if anyone else has had similar experiences.

I make the point now that I am not over-weight, just simply looking towards reducing my waist-line a little and as a method of self-control because prior to starting the 5:2 Diet I would eat healthily throughout the day but over-eat of the evening - I'm enjoying how the 5:2 seems to have 'lifted' this bad pattern of behaviour thus far.
19 Feb 2013, 09:32
I feel so much better after reading these posts. After my 1st week I lost 3lbs and an inch from my waist, but this week, those measurements are exactly the same. I too find I don't eat as much on non fast days as I don't want to undo the good work I did on my fast days - I'm sat here now with a black coffee instead of a white one!

But, I'm going to stick with what I've been doing this week and see what next weeks weigh and measure say.

Kim x
19 Feb 2013, 11:08
OK..week 6 for me of 5:2..fasted yesterday and weighed this morning was 1 lb gain and waist has stayed the same..I am just going to keep going and not get stressed about anything. I feel GREAT and I just know that this new way of eating is doing my body good. I am over 60 and am a hopeless exerciser so I am not worried that I am not losing pounds..I am just going to keep going as before this plan came along I probably would have exploded !! On non-fast days I eat what I want but I have found that my shopping trolley now has good things in it rather than rubbish.
19 Feb 2013, 11:19
I don't think weighing yourself after a fast day is a good idea? You will obviously weigh a lot less than you would if you weighted after a feast day. I fast Tuesdays and Fridays so I weigh myself on Mondays.

My first week I lost 2.5lbs on the Monday which was a week after I started, I did weigh myself after the fast day on Saturday morning and I had lost 4lbs.

So I would say it's not accurate to weigh after a fast day, but that's just my opinion :mrgreen:
19 Feb 2013, 11:34
I guess as long as you always weigh after a fast day it is valid. You obviously need to be comparing like with like.
65 posts Page 4 of 5