The FastDay Forum

Progress Diaries & Journals

Please just one thread per member here, which you can keep updated with your progress!
If you want to celebrate reaching a goal, or commiserate over a less productive week please use the 'Delighted or Disappointed?' forum instead.

62 posts Page 1 of 5
Gilly Mary's Journey
06 Jul 2013, 08:09
It was 4 months ago when I weighed the most ever in my life on the scales and my waist was on the increase. I had gained 15kgs over a couple of decades and I decided it was time to do something radical. I had been in the habit of fasting a weekend each season which usually incorporated juicing, fruit and raw vegetables only. I liked giving my body this cleanse/detox.With vague recollection of a new diet fasting 2 days a week I happened upon the 5:2 fast diet book.

On 10th March 2013 I took to the 5:2 fast regime doing the usual quick shed of 3kgs by my 8th fast. I loved how I could move the fasting day around to fit trips away. Kate Harrison's book helped also and then I found the 5:2 Forum which has just been a tremendous support and came about as I hit a plateau. By now I was 8 weeks /16 fasts along and 6kgs lost.

Deciding to push things along a bit In May I embarked on 5:2 36 hour fluid fasting and managed 6 fluid fasts of 300 calories. I was plagued by headaches unrelieved by the usual strategies of caffeine, salt, fluids and panadol. Decided fluid fasting may not be so suitable for me. Now at Week 12 and lost 3kgs.

My next strategy was to try 5:2 + 16:8 as I figured it might reduce my headaches. Have now successfully completed a month of this combination. Again I have loved the flexibility eg if I am really hankering for breakfast I have it, this has only happened average once a week and not on 5:2 fast days. Usually I start eating around 12:30pm each day and have nothing after dinner. Week 17 now Weight loss 1:5kg.

My goal is probably about 3kgs more to lose and I am happy to do that slowly from now on in. Have now completed my 36 fast/17 weeks. Am having a well earnt break next week catching up with my lovely Queensland buddies who remember my slimmer younger self. I will relax and enjoy myself
Re: Gilly Mary's Journey
06 Jul 2013, 08:26
Good morning GillyMary,

Glad to hear that it is all going well and you are happy with everything. Hope your break next week is good fun, it will be if you are there I'm sure, and that you are pleasantly surprised by how little, if any, weight you will have put on.

Look forward to hearing how it all goes,

Ballerina x :heart:
06 Jul 2013, 08:39
Thanks Ballerina meeting up with family first always nice and then on the weekend its annual get together with 2 buddies from student days. We also travelled together on major overseas trips together one to Europe and UK on a working holiday and another backpacking through SE Asia. We are good mates have such a lovely time when we get together and decided 3 years ago to not let a year go by without a catch up.
06 Jul 2013, 19:31
Hi Gillymary and thank-you for your inspirational story, well sounds like you've earned your break so have a lovely time catching up :clover: Sue
06 Jul 2013, 23:36
:grin: Hi Gillymary,
What a great story, you have really earned a break. I see you have lost 10kg so far which is fantastic. Have a lovely break with your buddies :smile:
07 Jul 2013, 00:58
Thanks SueQ and Leanne,
Have to say you both have got great form in weight loss and I liked reading your blogs. I thought it was high time to make my record. This journey with this way of eating/ life has its detours so it is good to share our individual experiences for the record and to be a help to others.

I am chuffed to have managed to get this far as in the past with fad diets I would fold after a couple of weeks, so it is good to be nearing a goal.Then there will be the next step which is viable maintenance. So my trip away will be a test of sorts. I am looking forward to my trip
07 Jul 2013, 01:29
How wonderful gillymary. Thank you for sharing your story. We really have been given a gift in learning about this WOE. Have a wonderful time with your friends. :-)
07 Jul 2013, 01:38
Enjoy your trip! That's one of the joys of the 5:2 (or 4:3) WoE - one can go on holiday and not worry that one is utterly wrecking one's diet - it'll all be fixed in a week or two. Plus 5:2 tends to make one more mindful of what one's eating anyway - so one is less likely to completely overindulge in the first place. Enough! Have a lovely time :) FatDog.
07 Jul 2013, 02:05
Thank you for sharing your journey with us and enjoy you time away. :smile:
07 Jul 2013, 04:40
So agree we are lucky to have the knowledge of 5:2 Julianna. Yes FatDog thinking 16:8 will be my away from home formula as we will be eating out the whole time, that and my now more discerning WOE. Thanks too Izzy hope I don't stray too far from where I am now and the wagon I will have to be back on will be welcome and Tammz always love my girls weekend with my dear friends always a trip back to our good times together when we were 'foot loose and fancy free' slim young things
07 Jul 2013, 09:55
Hi Gillymary, thank you for that post, I really enjoyed reading it. I am still loving 5:2 + 16:8, it suits my appetite and I find that if I flip the hunger switch too early in the day I want to eat more. Holding off till lunch or 'brunch' makes me more mindful. Don't you just love the inspirational Ballerina?

Have a fantastic time with your friends, eat, drink and be merry :smile:
07 Jul 2013, 20:35
Thank you Wendy darling 5:2+16:8 is working well for me and even in changed circumstances, just hopped on scales and am back on the downward trend again, yippee. Off to my tracker to record a milestone I have been hoping for. A couple of days and I am on a plane another yippee. :)
22 Jul 2013, 08:00
Just taking the opportunity to update. Had a wonderful trip away catching up with family over a few days and then my girls weekend. I ended up not even thinking about 5:2 or 16:8 and instead I had 7 wey hey days in a row. For the uninitiated that meant freely eating along with everyone else. Not too outrageous but no deprivation either.

On my return I hesitantly hopped on scales and measured and I had gained a kg and waist increased as per my tracker. So back onto the band wagon with 5:2+16:8 and I have to say it was an effort and one day where I just thought I have to eat and I did indulge a mega wey hey day. Today pleased to say I am back to where I was when I left.

It does sure feel good to be back on track and I did have to give myself a few good talkings too :)
22 Jul 2013, 08:24
Welcome back Gillymary, I just knew you would have a good time and not 'pile' on the weight. You know how to do it now so it won't take long to get back in the saddle, so to speak!

Ballerina x :heart:
22 Jul 2013, 10:16
Thanks Ballerina it was a bit of mental work just around the appetite but have been encouraged dropping back within 6 days. Of course the 16:8 for me is a big part of the solution and at least one good feast day where I eat exactly as I feel. Not far from maintenance now
62 posts Page 1 of 5