The FastDay Forum

Suggestion Box

78 posts Page 3 of 6
Not sure what the issue is with the equations already posted, here they are in even simpler terms :-

1. Mifflin StJeor prediction of resting metabolic rate (requires multiplier eg TDEE = 1.2 * RMR for sedentary to 1.5 * RMR for fairly active life)

Men - RMR cals/day = 5 + 10 * weight (kg) + 625 * height (m) - 5 * age (yrs)
Women = -161 + 10 * weight (kg) + 625 * height (m) - 5 * age (yrs)

2. US Institutes of Medicine TDEE correlation based on free living DLW studies no multiplier required unless exercise high eg K=1.16 multiplier for walking at 4 mph 2 - 3 hours per day. Default K = 1.0 for fairly active life.

Men - TDEE = 662 - 9.53 * age + K * (15.91*weight + 539.6*height)
Women TDEE = 354 - 6.91 * age + K * ( 9.36*weight + 726*height)
Which do you think is the best predictor?
I don't know. The spreadsheet has 4 different calculations and they are pretty close in some cases - the 28 year old active female at 72 kg (BMI 24.9) on there at the moment has an active life average TDEE of 2300 with sd 62 so they're pretty close.

In men the sd tends to be higher - 130 to 190 - and the US IoM looks a bit higher than the others for example 11% higher than the average of the other three unless I set the activity multiplier to 1.0 which brings it in line.

They're only right within 10% either way for 70% of the population at best, so it's indicative only. We could start off with the US IoM one at 1.0 activity level and leave anyone who exercises a lot to make their own prediction, so we would get a single figure per person ?
PhilT wrote: Not sure what the issue is with the equations already posted, here they are in even simpler terms :-

1. Mifflin StJeor prediction of resting metabolic rate (requires multiplier eg TDEE = 1.2 * RMR for sedentary to 1.5 * RMR for fairly active life)

Men - RMR cals/day = 5 + 10 * weight (kg) + 625 * height (m) - 5 * age (yrs)
Women = -161 + 10 * weight (kg) + 625 * height (m) - 5 * age (yrs)

2. US Institutes of Medicine TDEE correlation based on free living DLW studies no multiplier required unless exercise high eg K=1.16 multiplier for walking at 4 mph 2 - 3 hours per day. Default K = 1.0 for fairly active life.

Men - TDEE = 662 - 9.53 * age + K * (15.91*weight + 539.6*height)
Women TDEE = 354 - 6.91 * age + K * ( 9.36*weight + 726*height)

Thanks Phil, it was the if(B9="M",5,-161) which I didn't quite get, sorry. I'm not a programmer as such, just know my way around php & MySQL, so to me the meaning wasn't clear. Basically

$gendermod = ($gender == "M") ? 5 : -161;
$tdee = $gendermod+(10*$weighkg)+(625*$heightm)-(5*$age);

I get it now :)
Just an update to say I plan to add this to the tracker over the weekend :) Thanks again Phil!
Sorry I haven't add this yet, with the site move I've not had the opportunity to do so - but still intend to do it before my hols!
A bit off topic, and maybe this has been answered, but would it possible to add height as well? I think it was mentioned on another thread, that it is useful to compare yourself with others of a similar height.
There are various filters which have been requested for the tracker, which I'll try to start planning later this month, after my holiday :)
Moogie wrote: There are various filters which have been requested for the tracker, which I'll try to start planning later this month, after my holiday :)

:oops: And if anyone deserves a holiday, you do! Enjoy it!
RMR/TDEE info is now displayed on your tracker homepage :)

Should this be added to the public view version of users' tracker pages?
Thank you, Moogie! Very cool. I think it will be a good reminder of our hopefully diminishing TDEE when we go to update the tracker.

Edited to add: And to answer your question, I'm not particularly interested in reading the TDEE of others, but I'm happy either way.
Okay now, Moogie -- I totally love this addition to the tracker. Well done! :-)

Eta - I think you mean to say 'caloric' rather than 'calorific' in the asterisk note. ;-)

You also may put in there that your guidelines assume people want to lose weight, as 2x25% + 5x100% of TDEE should produce a caloric deficit and weight loss.
Thanks Bruce, didn't know 'caloric' was a word! Silly me :) Will change it! Good call on the other note too, will adjust.
So, what's the difference between caloric and calorific?
Help please! I can't see TDEE anywhere on my tracker.
78 posts Page 3 of 6