The FastDay Forum

5:2 Cookery Discussion, Tips & Ideas

275 posts Page 10 of 19
Previous 1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 19 Next
I'm having an attack day today but I love reading this thread!!!

I went to Lidl today and got two big bags of hash browns. I serve them with my full monty once a few weeks. BTW, has anybody seen tattie scones in London?

Condensed milk... I hate it! But my grandmother and my uncles never used fresh milk for their coffee, just this sticky goo, LOL! I remember that they added SUGAR and cinnamon in it and ate it from the can. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeek... Mind you, this is the longest lived generation in Greece. If I tell you what my grandparents ate, you'd feel the cholesterol and blood sugar climbing.
I am pretty sure you can get tattie scones in London, but probably more expensive than here. There's a home bakery near where I live and I usually buy a batch to take to my DIL and some left over for freezing. it's funny because she likes them more than my son does, she loves them (and haggis!)however, she's not perfect - she hates porridge!
I love them but I'm too lazy to make them. I would happily buy them together with the rest of the food (enough to fill a big suitcase) I bring back from London and freeze them.
I love them all! Porridge, haggis, tattie scones, irn bru, fried mars bars (but only over ice cream), scotch eggs... gimme!!!
Potato scones
Mashed boiled potatoes salted to taste. While fairly hot beat in enough SR flour to enable mixture to be rolled to required thickness. bake on a girdle, a thick bottomed frying pan would do, pricking with a fork. serve hot with butter. Although you can freeze them and then heat in the microwave with loads of butter.
I enjoy butter (on non fasting days) but with a slight twist. I'll put about 115g softened butter in the mixer, with the whisk attachment, and whip until light and airy. At this point, I begin to drizzle in about 6cl extra virgin olive oil. Using a rubber spatula to scrape the sides of the bowl, this is whipped until approximately double in volume. The end product fills a 225g tub to the rim.
Doing the math comes out to about 49 kcal per 1 tablespoon.
bobbyd98683 wrote: I enjoy butter (on non fasting days) but with a slight twist. I'll put about 115g softened butter in the mixer, with the whisk attachment, and whip until light and airy. At this point, I begin to drizzle in about 6cl extra virgin olive oil. Using a rubber spatula to scrape the sides of the bowl, this is whipped until approximately double in volume. The end product fills a 225g tub to the rim.
Doing the math comes out to about 49 kcal per 1 tablespoon.

Great idea and welcome to the forums, Bobbyd!
I often cook with olive oil and butter (that's how my great-grandmother fried eggs) but I never thought of mixing them. Very nice tip, Bobby! Thanx and welcome on board!
Are these the same as Irish potato farls? Paul Rankin makes them and they are available in Tesco, Sainsbury's, Waitrose and Asda in the UK. About £1.30 for a pack of four. Never tried them myself, but they look yummy!
I think that the farls are a tad thicker but they are pretty much the same thing.
@ Doodle, yes, I was curious and looked up the recipe and it is identical to mine. just boiled potatoes, flour and butter. the Irish way of doing it is to cook it as a round and then cut into 4 pieces and I think it is a bit thicker too. Farl is gael for 4 bits.
Och Izzie! A girdle is a griddle - well a Scots version of one anyway! It's a big black heavy thing made out of cast iron, and has a tall iron band that loops from one side of the girdle to the other, and it's black as soot and makes the best drop and girdle scones in the world! (hope your bottom has recovered from all those fork pricks! :grin:
What do I think of butter? I think it's bloody fantastic! I have a good old fashioned "every meal at every tavern in every fantasy novel ever written" dinner at least twice a week, which consists of freshly baked bread, Land of Lakes Butter with Olive Oil, hard cheese and roasted red pepper soup. Crap. Now I want butter. :oops:
Amazing! I've been out working hard all day - and you lot are still on about butter, girdle scones, farls ...

And it's a fast day! :curse: :bugeyes: :dazed: :bigfrown: :bugeyes: :confused: :frown: :sidefrown: :beatup: :bugeyes: :starving: :starving: :starving:
Most supermarkets have potato cakes/scones. Now what I want to know is what do they put in bought scones that make your teeth go funny. I just can't eat supermarket scones because of it. yet home made or bakery ones are fine.
proper scone spread with butter, a dollop of strawberry jam that has chunks of strawberries in it, and a dollop of thick whipped cream or better yet a portion of clotted cream.

Condensed milk 'butty' (sandwich) was a favourite of my mothers. I think she ate so much of it when carrying me that I picked up a lifetime craving for the stuff myself. I can and have sat with the tin or tube and just ate it with a spoon. My mother also would dip buttered bread into the chip fryer when the oil or lard was hot and eat the oily/ lard soaked bread.

I also am fasting today and I want nothing more than to dive in the fridge and grab the butter, the St.Auger blue cheese, the chunk of Cheddar, and the piece of smoked cheese with crackers and pickles and just sit and nibble. A glass of white something would go very nicely with it too.
Hey Izzy...
I don't know why I come and read these posts when I'm fasting. So funny...it inevitably leads me to want anything edible that everyone is speaking of. LOL! But that is my favorite thing about this woe...I can have my "Hobbit Supper" tomorrow night can't I? Bring on the butter!!
Previous 1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 19 Next
275 posts Page 10 of 19