The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

139 posts Page 1 of 10
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10 Next
Meet our 2016 Christmas challenge members!

MEMBER 1 @Juliana.Rivers to be 73.0kg by Christmas (from 75.5 kg) so a 2.5kg loss in 7 weeks
MEMBER 2 @cblasz to be 165 pounds by Christmas (from 168 lbs. - 76 kg) so a 3 pounds loss
MEMBER 3 @Wmr309 to be 68kg by Christmas (from 70kg) so a 2 kg loss in 7 weeks
MEMBER 4 @ADFnFuel to be 178 lb by Christmas (from 188lb) so a 10 pound loss in 8 weeks
MEMBER 5 @Katharina to be 133 lbs (9 st 7lbs) by Christmas (from 138lbs -9st 12lbs) so loss of 5 lbs in 7 weeks
MEMBER 6 @nursebean to be 9 stone 13 by Christmas so a 5 pounds loss from 10 stone 4
MEMBER 7 @SianS anything under 160 pounds by Christmas (from 165 pounds)
MEMBER 8 @CandiceMarie to "lose as much as I can" by Christmas (currently on Accountabilities challenge)
MEMBER 9 @Queen56 to be 158 pounds or lower by Christmas (from 163 pounds) so a 5 pounds loss in 7 weeks
MEMBER 10 @Faith Mash a lost of 10 pounds loss in 6 weeks
MEMBER 11 @Jenalynn Goal is 8 lbs over the next 6 weeks (and then keep the good habits over the holidays,, harder )
MEMBER 12 @Margotsylvia Lose a couple of kilos in 25 days (started 28th Nov)

Well why break a tradtion... I have set up the challenge for last 3 years starting with the first that got labelled the 69'ers challenge, when silly me aimed at 69 kg.. that was back in 2013! That was much lower than I should be in my opinion, as too much "good weight" goes off the important bits like face and boobs.. lol

Anyhow.. a lot wiser and doing this in a beautiful new space set up by @moogie

JR's fasting and weight story...

Well Ive been doing it since April 2013!.. lost then gained but as they say "back on the road"

Some of you may know that I have been doing liquid fasting Mondays and Fridays, and light eating Wednesday.. Never thought I can do my 40 hour mammoth liquid fasts (with a 50 calorie eating to make it doable),, My Monday fasts start at about 9pm the previous Sunday evening through to about 1pm on the Tuesday following. I have say, 4 x expressos with splash milk/sugar and a home made made from scratch yummy broth of miso paste, nori, shallots, dashi stock and fresh kale at about 6pm + 2 x walnut halves at about 10pm.. Had regained some weight over past 12 months but losing it well with my new regime.

What happened was that in October this year, I stumbled on a rerun of BBC Horizons program on Australian television, with MM talking about initially doing very strict fasting and a spark ignited and I thought... yes, that's what's needed. Stict or "full fasting" as some call it, gives me the health benefits of Intermittent fasting better than grazing all day. and grazing inevitably kick starts the appetite and before you know it you are eating 300 calories over the 500 calorie limit. I honestly think MM created the 500 / 600 calorie limit to make 5:2 marketable to a wider audience.

I also have taken up part time vegetarianism which I feel goes hand in hand with fasting. I rarely eat meat now and when I do it is special. Plant based eating 5 days a week with dairy/eggs/funghi added for me has been such a blessing and been doing it since November 2015. I created a 5DV or 5 Day Vegetarian eating plan for myself and sometimes i joke that i am a
5DV-4:3-40LF eater.

My personal challenge is to get to my very new desired weight of 73kg by Christmas. I am currently just over 75.5kg so I have 2.5kg to lose.

Challenge starts today, November 2 and ends December 20 or thereabouts. making it a good solid 7 weeks.

Who wants to join me ?

MEMBER UPDATE SUMMARY.

Member 1 @juliana.rivers

Nov 15 between 75.1 and 75.3 on several weigh ins in past 2 weeks. inching down. Liquid fasts are making a difference and breezing through my 500 calorie day.. become a very mindful eater.

Nov 26 74.7.. feeling good!

Dec 3 74.6... going down down down (in Australia we have a TV ad for a major supermarket with this slogan. giggles) eeks only 3 weeks left. I may only reach 74.0 by Christmas but that will be great as i dont want to see the scale above 75 again!

Dec 12
Well, again, I really don't know how, but I'm down .8 lbs. today. I haven't gone crazy, but I've not been trying really hard lately, with all the Christmas stuff to do. I definitely haven't exercised. So I worry that it will catch up with me later, but we'll see. I'll try to keep it in check. I still haven't eaten any candy, but I have treated myself to a few treats here and there. It looks like I should be able to meet my goal, at this rate!

Good luck to everyone else with the holidays and the weight loss!

Dec 24
: ooops.. last reading is 74.8.. better than start reading of 75.7so its a 700g decline, so all good.. i have 2017 to rectify it!

Nov 16 I had a bad week last week, so the scale was up on Monday. But I am doing damage control this week and I hope I can report that it's down again (and hopefully a little more) next week!

Nov 22 Hello everyone! The scale was back down a little bit today. I'm done with the Accountabuddies challenge, but based on my rate of weight loss for that and knowing that it's very hard for me during the holiday season, I've decided to amend my goal a bit. I would be very happy to just lose 3 lbs. overall, bringing me to 165. Hopefully, by striving for that, I'll stay somewhat on track and will at least keep from gaining weight! Then I'll start fresh in the new year!

Nov 29 Well, I don't know how or why, but after 5 days of travelling and visiting with my family and my eating habits being completely out of whack, I am down 1.5 lbs!! I will take it! I hope it doesn't catch up with me this week.

Dec 23 My final weigh in for the challenge is 165.2! .2 lbs. shy of my goal, but I'll take it. Especially since I've been eating a lot of crap this week! Now I have to try to keep from gaining it all back over the next week. I
plan to stick to my 16:8 and not eat too many sweets. Then I'll be ready to start fresh again in the new year.

Nov 8 :...I know it's not the official weigh in/reporting day but after I had a really good fast yesterday, inspired by being part of a challenge again, I can report I've lost 0.6kg from my starting weight so only 1.4kg to go. Just had to share this as the trend wasn't good lately.

Nov 11 - lost another 200 gram so that's 800gr in one week, with 1.2kg to go. I devoured take-away pizza and guzzled wine on Wednesday night while watching the US elections. Food and drink were my only comfort that night! Dinner, wine, ice cream and chocolate tonight but that's Friday nights for me and the reason I love 5:2.

Nov 18 went up 200 gram this week but that's understandable; too many biscuits and sweets on offer at work and possible still dealing with the indulgent weekend which saw the scales go entirely the wrong direction. Compared to Monday morning weigh in I was 1.5kg lighter this morning ;)
Result: 600 gram so far, still 1.4kg to go.

Nov 25 #3, I'm half way there. I've lost 1kg so far on the 2016 Christmas Challenge and only 1kg to go. Yay

Dec 2 #3 Slowly, but it's going down. I weighted 68.7kg this morning so another loss of 300 gram this week.

Dec 16 #3 weigh in this morning: 69.5kg, so my loss in this challenge is no longer as good as it was a fortnight ago. I've lost 500 gram since starting this challenge and still have 1.5kg to go, in one week!

Nov 20 , -2 pounds (-.9kg) again this week for me. Currently 184.

Nov 23 , -9 pounds (4kg) from the start for for me. Currently 179.

Dec 16 Bean reporting in! I have lost another pound and a half this week (that's after my two fast which I needed to get me back on track - I had four days of naughtiness you see!!)

So I am now 10:1.5 - I hope to be 9 something by next week - watch this space!!

Dec 25 I got to 10:2 in the end. Not the 9 something I wanted to be but not bad. However, Christmas food beckons - doh!!

Nov 18 reporting in at 161.6lbs, a tiny loss and quite disappointing as I've had a solid week. I really hope to see 150 something soon.

Nov 25 #7 reporting in with a slight gain this week now up to 162.4. Not very happy but sticking with it.

Dec 3 #7 reporting in at 161.6 lbs, back down to where I was 2 weeks ago.
I think I'd like to reset my goal as anything under 160lbs. My original goal was based on the speed of weight I loss managed back when I started 5:2 in 2013, and does not seem achievable now.

Nov7 - Howdy Crimbo Challengeers! I'm 2 1/2 lbs down so far on our latest venture!
Good luck everyone and enjoy the fun of taking a challenge! Xx

Nov 12 Another pound down this week..think its 3 1/2 pound so far on the crimbo challlenge

Nov 20 I have lost another four pounds..i think thats seven and a half pounds off so far on this challenge xx

Nov 30 I lost 1.5 lbs,same as @cblasz...total of nine lbs so far on this crimbo challenge x

Dec 12 another half pound down...as of a good few days ago..possibly more by now. Think i'm10 lbs down.

Dec 25 .. and now thats another challenge done and dusted . I think have lost another 4 lb since last weigh in...my notebook is at home and i' m at DDs so i cant check but i think ive lost a stone in total on this challenge. Which is great coz all other challenges bar one i have failed miserably!

------------------------
Member 9 @Queen56
Nov 16 1lb down after my first week.

Nov 16 I am Happy to report I am down 3 lbs

Dec 2 Friday is the day when I mark my weight (if I dare) into the Tracker. 57.1 kg. That means that in 5 days so far I have lost 800 grams. :smile: . I have 21 days to go of this fasting, so I think I'll get a bit lower yet. My BMI is 22.3, which just shows that I am a shortie. It is lovely that it is December already and that we have snow again now

Dec 18 It is Sunday and the Advent fast goes on and on. 5 days only left on it. And Hurrah! This morning my weight was 55.9 KG, so I actually have broken the very long lasting 60 kg barrier!! :lol: I ate very little at yesterday supper, and been suffering all day because of it. :bugeyes: . Christmas is coming and the geese are getting fat.... hope we are not!!

Dec 25 ... I did not get any lower than 55.8kg, but I'm OK with that! Christmas is here, eating again
Well, I'm finishing up the Accountabuddies challenge the week of Thanksgiving (Nov. 21st), but could double up for a bit. I certainly want to keep going after Thanksgiving and the holidays are such a hard time! My weight loss is going kinda slow right now, but I feel like I'm eating really healthy and am not feeling too deprived, so I'm ok with that! Right now I'm at about 168 lbs. (76 kg), so I will shoot for 163 by Christmas. I'd like to be a little less, but I know the holiday season is tough, so I'll be conservative. Thanks for doing it!

02 Nov 2016, 00:41
Thanks for being the second challenger @cblasz.. There is usually a bit of a double up of challenges at this time of year.

your goal... 163 lbs by Christmas!

All the best
Thank you @Juliana.RiversI need this. I was 70kg this morning but I like to be 68kg any day mid week so I need to lose 2kg before Christmas.

02 Nov 2016, 02:40
OK. I'm cautiously following your lead, JR...

As an N=1 experiment after reading Jason Fung's new book, The Complete Guide to Fasting, I just finished a full 3-day (73 hour) fast, from Friday 1pm to Monday 2pm. That extra hour happened by accident. I made a bp coffee as a easy "break fast" starter, then forgot to drink it. No hunger throughout. Could've easily gone much longer. Had a 10K run in there too. I had the curious realization recently that it is the few and hopefully growing number of fasters and fat burners in the world that are actually normal. It's the rest of modern civilization that remains in detrimental conflict with their evolutionary past.

Congrats on the success of your liquid variation, BTW. Always a thrill to discover what works.

Agree completely with your "MM ... wider audience" thought. 5:2 was configured to be attractive, simple and effective. A place to start; not as the only, nor necessarily best solution. I'll be forever grateful to him and this site.

Count me in on this challenge. Goal: TBD.

02 Nov 2016, 04:21
You are welcome @ADFnFuel you are member 4!

i thought my 40 hours was impressive. Wow to 73 hours! congrats!

MM was smart in not making it 3 day fasting from a marketing point of view but did us all a disservice in the process!

02 Nov 2016, 04:23
Wmr309 wrote: Thank you @Juliana.RiversI need this. I was 70kg this morning but I like to be 68kg any day mid week so I need to lose 2kg before Christmas.

Welcome to the challenge @Wmr309 Just like old times. You are member 3! enjoy the 2kg loss. very doable.
Re:
02 Nov 2016, 04:47
ADFnFuel wrote: OK. I'm cautiously following your lead, JR...

Agree completely with your "MM ... wider audience" thought. 5:2 was configured to be attractive, simple and effective. A place to start; not as the only, nor necessarily best solution .

I was thinking too.. imagine it was 3 day of full fasting. there would be no 5:2 recipe books.. I do find with liquid fasting is that the time needed in the kitchen on Mondays and Fridays is dramatically reduced.. So saving, time, saving money and repairing the body.. Loving it.
2016 Christmas Challenge!
02 Nov 2016, 07:11
@Juliana.RiversPlease count me in right now! Lost my original post, will elaborate later! :like: :like: :like:

02 Nov 2016, 08:20
Oh AT LAST!!!! I am SO happy to be here! Its taken me all this time to be able to log in. I thought I was NEVER going to be able to return! Phew! Here I am!

And what a pleasure to see we are doing a Christmas Challenge! I was so hoping we would! How many weeks is it now? 5? I'd like to lose at least 5 pounds in that case. I am currently 10 stone 4 and would like to get back to my lowest this year - 9:13. I've bean ever so naughty since my holiday in Canada (well, since being home from Canada actually) BUT today I am back in the BSD saddle - woohoo!

Oh, incidentally - I've only gone and bean nominated for "Miss Slinky" at Slimming World - doh!! ;-)

Hope everyone is ok. Bean is well and truly back!!

Bean xxxx :heart:

02 Nov 2016, 09:14
@Juliana.Rivers Count me in please. I weighed in at 165lbs on Monday and am determined to get back to a healthy weight, I'm hoping the Christmas Challenge will keep me on the straight and narrow. I make it 7 weeks to Christmas and I have a target weight of 150lbs.

02 Nov 2016, 23:35
So nice to see you JR..wdnt be Christmas without yr challenge!
I' m on Acccountabuddies challenge still ( not sure when it finishes,some time in Nov)so will double up for a while!
Have lost 12 lbs on accountabuddies so i will just say like i said on that challenge..will just do my best to lose as much as i can between now and xmas!
Good luck everyone..christmas countdown has started woohoo ! :like: :clover: :heart: :heart: :razz:
Ride those ponies!
Re: 2016 Christmas Challenge!
03 Nov 2016, 01:27
Katharina wrote: @Juliana.RiversPlease count me in right now! Lost my original post, will elaborate later! :like: :like: :like:

Hello again @Katharina! Please do come in .. you are Member 5...
Re:
03 Nov 2016, 01:38
nursebean wrote: Oh AT LAST!!!! I am SO happy to be here! Its taken me all this time to be able to log in. I thought I was NEVER going to be able to return! Phew! Here I am!

And what a pleasure to see we are doing a Christmas Challenge! I was so hoping we would! How many weeks is it now? 5? I'd like to lose at least 5 pounds in that case. I am currently 10 stone 4 and would like to get back to my lowest this year - 9:13. I've bean ever so naughty since my holiday in Canada (well, since being home from Canada actually) BUT today I am back in the BSD saddle - woohoo!

Oh, incidentally - I've only gone and bean nominated for "Miss Slinky" at Slimming World - doh!! ;-)

Hope everyone is ok. Bean is well and truly back!!

Bean xxxx :heart:

Hey @nursebean or should I call you "Miss Slinky"!

You are in at Member number 6 in the challenge! So easy to be naughty but good that you are back on the BSD saddle.
Re:
03 Nov 2016, 01:39
SianS wrote: @Juliana.Rivers Count me in please. I weighed in at 165lbs on Monday and am determined to get back to a healthy weight, I'm hoping the Christmas Challenge will keep me on the straight and narrow. I make it 7 weeks to Christmas and I have a target weight of 150lbs.

Hello @SianS You are member 7! All the best for the 150 lbs target
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10 Next
139 posts Page 1 of 10