The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

54 posts Page 2 of 4
Hi Gillymary,
Yep, hair loss has become the bane of my life. Lost a load when I hit the menopause, it never came back but I thought that would be it. Hit my sixties and bang went another load, bum, hoped that was it. 5:2 came along and wallop, here we go again! Just as well I started out with more than my fair share of the stuff or I'd now be as bald as a coot! My hairdresser thinks I've still got acres of the stuff but compared to how it was it seems thin to me. I know this has been discussed before but it is such a huge thing to women that anything that can help is appreciated. I have been taking zinc as well as other supplements and whilst my hair is not any thicker the brush seems almost naked now when I brush my hair and the floors don't appear to be quite as hairy as they were. I also use coconut oil, when I remember, so I am hoping that I have have stopped shedding for a while. Like you I have cut back hugely on bread so who knows, not me! Good luck and if you find a magic cure PLEASE let us know. By the way, my nails are as strong as ever and my skin is as no worse than it's ever been, sigh! As if all that wasn't enough @Silverdarling goes and changes her avatar and what does it show? That's right, the most fabulous head of thick, beautiful hair, I could kill the woman but she is too beautiful to die, shame :lol:

Ballerina x :heart:
Just come to the end of my multi vit and mineral supplement and was wondering if there might be a better one to try ... All suggestions gratefully received :0)
@gillymary, check out this thread

http://www.52fastdiet.co.uk/benefits-side-effects-f28/hair-loss-t10013.html?hilit=hair%20loss

As a result of reading Manderley's link I bought Perfectil. It is amazing, my hair is shiny, I'm not losing it anymore (it might even start to thicken up!), my nails look fabulous - all the same length with no breakages and that is in only three weeks. It must be the supplements as I've not been eating the healthiest over the festive season.
Ballerina wrote: As if all that wasn't enough @Silverdarling goes and changes her avatar and what does it show? That's right, the most fabulous head of thick, beautiful hair, I could kill the woman but she is too beautiful to die, shame :lol:

Ballerina x :heart:

love you too @Ballerina :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, the hair you see in the photo has cost me £kkks over the years - I dare not even add up the cost, cos I know I could've paid off the mortgage by now with what I've spent :curse: :cry: ...

Coloured it since about age 30 ( first grey hair at 26 :cry: ) and as for the FRIZZ, yes FRIZZ, well before the modern hair preparations, it was absolutely impossible to have it all one length, as it would frizz on top and at the ends, with the slightest hint of damp weather ... :cry: :cry: :cry:

I did have the Farrah graduated flicky style in the late 70s - this was my most successful style before the length you see in the pic ... Then about 5 years ago, my stylist said 'of course you could grow your hair' and we had a bet on. She won ... :cool: :lol: :cool: but it's only due to Morroccan Oil, very expensive ceramic straighteners, a lot of swearing, and a very good cut and colour every 6 weeks or so ...

Feeling better now???? :curse: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Well it's working for you lovely head of hair @Silverdarling

@Caroees snap ... to borrow from Ballerina, my breakfast for years was grain and seedy toast x2 slices with butter and vegemite. Now I am not having this maybe this is half the problem
I can remedy that with vegimite and butter on rice crackers on a feed day. Might help me to get over my new cheese addiction.

@Ballerina you made me LOL where you described yourself on another thread, following in azureblue's coconut oil slick. Slide over I might be slipping in the same direction. Problem though I have mid shoulder length hair so am thinking coconut oil in half an hour then rinsed might get a bit too messy. I struggle already with the slick on my bullet coffee and I am still swishing my teeth. This could get complicated
Here is my hair. I've had it highlighted so that the grey hairs don't form a tide mark as the hair grows. Boy what a job that was, I need 5 people stood around doing various jobs as it was so long.
I always seem to be doing the opposite of what society dictates for me. Just when all my friends are chopping their hair off, becauase "you don't have long hair when your 50+". I grow mine. :grin:
Think of the oil slick I have when I oil and wash my hair!
Wow! your hair looks in fab condition Julie, really envy you being able to grow it so long.
I wrote a long post that just went AWOL - :cry: but try to remember what I wrote….
During the fall (since I started 5:2) I have IMO lost more hair that usual. But it can be due to age or thyroid or….Some of it seem to be growing back though, have shorter "tufts" growing at the right side of the head.

When it comes to dry skin - I stopped using lotions and creams when I went over to natural handmade soaps. They seem to not rip the skin of it's natural oils and if you find a good soaper, smells good too. My fav is patchouli scented.
Also - it's dead easy to make your own body scrub - just blend raw sugar with enough oils (olive or virgin coconut works best) and scent with an essential oil. Although - take care not to slip in the shower. Scrub and rise, just pat the skin dry.

Gentle facial scrub: combine oats, dried lavender and rose petals (buds) and if you want to some rhassoul clay. To use, take some tsp and blend with enough water to make a paste - scrub gently and rinse. Pat dry and use your fav skin care regime.

My nails have over more than 13 years behaved badly - chipped and cracked, not all at the same time though, so they seldom looked good. I have tried many different "cures" under the moon incl. the Sally Hansen, but non have worked. By chance I came over Isadora's (Swedish company) product called 2nd nail and after 3 months I have nails that is appr. 1cm out of the fingertip = yay!

When it comes to hand cream my own home made is the best, but I have not managed to muster up the energy to make any for the last 10 months or so, so I buy (horror) Nutrogenas Norweigan…works so and so. Have tried many store bought only to give them away cause I didn't like the scent.. :bugeyes: Having said that, I think I just have to make a batch.
I still find that the bottom half of my hair behaves like straw occasionally. It 'frizzes' easily, which is weird because I don't have curly hair. I just blame all the chemicals through the years (the bottom of my hair is probably 4 years old). Every now and again I force one of the kids to use straighteners on the ends to try and get them looking smooth and silky, it doesn't last though. Mainly I just oil once a week, sometimes I run my oiled hands through the ends to tame them, and I wash only once or twice a week, with no heat normally.

I may try out the oat facial scrub as my pores are feeling a bit 'clogged' . I usually treat myself to a facial every now and again at the local training collage. Its a good two hours of pampering (a pedicure is included too) at a really low cost, but the colleges are closed for Christmas. :frown:
Forgot to write; blend the oats and dried stuff in a mixer until powdered, otherwise it will be a bit harsh. Sorry.
From the Perfectil product info:
Each tablet contains micronutrients including:

Biotin, selenium & zinc which contribute to the maintenance of normal skin, hair & nails.

Riboflavin (vit.B2) and Niacin (vit.B3) which contribute to the maintenance of normal skin.

So looks like biotin is important. If you eat Brazil nuts regularly beware of overdoing the selenium if you add this supplement to your diet as Brazil nuts are very high in selenium.
Just bought a pack of this Perfectil and better jolly work at £6.95 for a months supply from Boots. Especially as I then found it in Sainsburys for £6 :0@
Ain't it always the way * sigh*
Thanks for that @carorees. I actually never read what was in them but what a difference they appear to have made. I am a sceptic when is come to supplements!

@Azureblue, if you do like them Asda do 3 for £10.
I always buy loads of supplements in the Holland and Barrett penny sale. I may include a full spectrum B vitamin next time. I already have a high dosage of B12 because I slide into low levels of that one easily. I can't take iron as I have high Ferratin levels.
54 posts Page 2 of 4