The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

83 posts Page 3 of 6
I haven't planned my fasts over Christmas but then I don't plan fasts any other time, as long as I got two fasts in a week (now one as I'm doing 6:1) then I'm happy. I usually take things one day at a time recently, and as usual I leave everything till the last minute at Christmas - then panic! :sidefrown: :shame: :bigfrown:

Now I'm retired from work, every day is the same, I'm looking forward to Christmas though, I'll be seeing my family. :smile: :heart: :present: :grin: :dog: :) :cat2: :meeting: :rainbow: :drink: :lol:
I'm hoping to do Monday 23rd and Fri 27th as I am working that day. Following week am working Monday & Thurs so think I will try to fast these days, just to add to the misery of having to work!!
I always have a big 'Strictly Final Night' party at my house for my female friends. There will be around 20 of us and I don't usually eat much as I'm too busy doing bubbles and bites for everyone else and phoning in for my favourite dancers so that will be O.K. Next big event will be Christmas Eve as we have a big family buffet, Austrian style, and again I will be too busy to eat much. Christmas Day lunch is at the local Manor House Hotel with friends and like last year I shall probably eat about half of the enormous portions served and that will be more than enough. I was in the middle of 5:2 last Christmas and found it was not a problem, by then I'd more or less gone on to 16/8 every day so I just carried on as normal.

Good luck to everyone and I bet you all find it easier and less painful than you imagine and as other say, if you have a problem then just get straight back on to it after a great Hogmany,

Ballerina x :heart:
Fasting days for me around Christmas will be the 27th and 30th.. and MAYBE the 1st of January too :smile: :razz:

Pia :heart:
I really don’t know how I’m going to do it…

This Christmas I’m staying down with my partner’s family from the 19th to the 2nd as he has army leave. The whole 2 weeks are going to be spent with his parents, and are pretty jam packed with celebrations, meals etc. trying to fit in seeing everyone as none of us will have seen him for just under 2 months. He passes out on the 20th, which will mean a fancy meal out and drinks afterwards. The night before, I’m eating out with his family at the hotel, most probably also with drinks. And then we have nights out with other various family and friends, all including meals! And the nights we won’t be out for meals, his family always eat a big meal together in the evening and I can’t really control what I’ll be eating then.

Given my past as well with my eating, I know if I have a fast day I will be judged (not in a nasty way – more because they worry!) so I don’t see how it’s going to work at all! Before I go, I will fast on the 16th and 18th, but then I think I’ll just have to try to fit in some 16:8’s or something, and just try to make wise decisions while we are out.

Wish me luck!
My fast days are usually Saturdays and Wednesday. My general approach to all holidays, family events etc., is to wait and see, if I can't fit in two fasts then so be it.
I aim to fast the 23rd and 30th as normal. After that I'll have to wait and see.
I'm starting maintenance next week so plan to try 6.1, I will fast on the 23rd and possibly also the 27th if the scales are not being kind.
Christmas and New Year's Eve are not big things for me and I am usually ill between the 24th and the 2nd anyway (I think I have a case of allergy to the holidays, I systematically get sick) so I will fast the 23rd, have a mini fast on the 24th (only eat at dinner, smoked salmon to be exact and a salad) and another the 26th if I feel the need. Same thing for the New Year's week.
Think I will definitely do 16.8 most days. One question I am eager to ask is...do people generally lose weight doing 16.8 alone ?
Hi have lost a bit on pure 16:8 Caroline. I think it is because its hard eating too much in an 8 hour window unless you are really going for it :lol: :lol:
I think it's going to be possible to keep up with fasts, even though I'll have a lot of family here. I'll still cook the evening meal, but it will be something I can eat, and I'll skip breakfast and lunch and everyone can look after themselves. Even with eating out, one can chose items on the menu which fit the bill. I remember having lamb back straps and rocket salad in a pub not long ago. You can chose not to drink, even though you are in a pub, restaurant or entertaining at home. It's only for the fasting day. I don't want to drop it, even for Christmas. We have such a routine now of Monday/Thursday fasts, I see no reason to change.
Interesting variety of responses! I don't envy those of you who have the full-on family/entertainment stuff planned.

I've every admiration for those who can cook/entertain/serve up food and drink and not feel the need to eat & drink as well. One of the reasons fast days work for me is because I don't have to prepare any food other than heating up a soup and making spartan salad boxes for both of us in the morning.

I like the idea of doing some 16:8s, I think it may turn out that way actually.

Good luck everyone! :clover:
I might fast Thursday and possibly Friday, the rest of week is a no for me :oops:
The following week I'll fast Monday 30 and Friday 3rd.
carieoates wrote: Think I will definitely do 16.8 most days. One question I am eager to ask is...do people generally lose weight doing 16.8 alone ?

Yes, I did. I lost most of my weight by doing 5:2 and found that I was naturally skipping breakfast anyway so I just went for that on a daily basis and lost the rest, plus a bit more.I now maintain on 16/8 every day and just do what comes naturally, if I overeat one day then I just cut back the next but the reason I do it is because it enables me to fast every 24 hours, anything from 16 hours to 24 or more and it is the fasting I wish to achieve in the hope of getting the alleged long term health benefits.

Ballerina x :heart:
83 posts Page 3 of 6