The FastDay Forum

5:2 Diet Results: Before & After

76 posts Page 1 of 6
Unfortunately this has done nothing for my brain power and posted this in a section that doesn't allow replies, so deleted the wording and started a new thread - no hope :oops:

So my journey takes on a new chapter “Maintenance”, which I reached today :clap: :-D :victory:

My 5/2 story started June 13, aged 49. I was at my heaviest ever and enough was enough (sounds familiar eh !). I have not tried any other diet over the decades but attempted to cut back… only to fail 4 days later and then setting a target of 1st of the next month to start again. This thought process I have used for 20 years, and as you can imagine, no loss whatsoever.

I didn’t set a goal weight in mind back in June, would see how I felt as I went along. I did think to get back to size 16 clothes would be nice though… :wink:

For some reason it didn’t click in my mind as to how much I could loose and definitely not the changes in my body. There is as a lot of fresh air between the ears :lol: :doh:

It came as quite a shock to be getting into smaller clothes as the weight came off over the months. I carried on wearing the same ‘tent’ clothes until around 2 stone off (12.72 kg). No option, my clothes were falling off. Then and only then did people start to notice once I wore clothes that fitted! It also boosts the confidence wearing clothes to fit but very alien for me to buy smaller stuff after 2 decades of plus size. My head automatically went to 18/20 (XL) in the shops :confused:

I have been fortunate to have only put weight on for two weeks out of the 7 months (only by a pound) and no plateau, for which I am very thankful :crossed: . Some weeks I have seen a large loss and this seemed to strike at any point. For example, my biggest loss of 4.8 lbs (2.1 kg) came last week :like: . I weigh weekly after the first fast. Only this week did I resort to daily weighing as the goal was soo close.

I have not done any calorie counting on the feast days. However, I am alot more aware of cals in the mouth on the feast days ! I do not wish to count calories on feasts days as this for me, is getting like a ‘diet’ and I will fail. I try to incorporate a minimum of 15 hours from last meal (dinner) to lunch next day, although this is a bit difficult at work as I can’t really start heating soup at 2pm). I eat dinner very late on feast days especially at weekends and enjoy a drink on non fasting days , my sin :high5:

85% of my fast lunches (soup for winter) and evening meals are all home made. 15% of M&S ‘Count on Us’ range for the emergencies or feeling rough with migraine.

I am very sedentary… :sleepy: just incorporating the odd gentle walk. I have been told this week I have mild osteoarthritis in my left knee (everything is age related now), although at the moment its a lot better. I will carry on avoiding stairs as this is the biggest strain (apparently) and kneeling. The knee trouble did set me back a few months as I cannot take inflammatory pills and was just getting to walk faster and a take of stairs at work. All that had to stop whilst my knee rested for weeks. My doctor is thrilled with the loss and said your knee will thank you for it !

After the first few fasts (say a month), they slotted in pretty much second nature.. For several months fasts have just been another eating day (albeit a lot less cals!), but I didn’t worry about a one coming up and looked forward to the cleanse of the system they give me every time :smile:

This is turning into a VERY long post I see. I will forgive people for going to read another thread :clap:

Some stats for you. I am 5.6”, apple shaped.

10th June 2013

Clothing 18/20 (sometimes 22 in t shirts M&S)
BMI 31.18
Body fat – never measured at the start, but was 38.9% in September.

13.12 st / 194 lbs / 88 kgs :cry:

22nd Jan 2014

Clothing 12 all round (and 10’s in some tops depending on cut)
BMI 22.8
Body fat 27.3%

10.2 st / 142 lbs / 64.5 kgs :smile:

Total loss 3.7 st / 52 lbs / 23.6 kg :victory:

Waist/hips (not measured at the start, but I took the minimum I knew it could be as a starting point, most likely both would be higher !)

June 13

Waist 42” (106.6cm)
Hip 45” (114.3cm)
Bra 38E

Jan 14

Waist 33” (83.8cm)
Hip 37" (94cm)
Bra 34D

No other measurements taken, but the weight has come off EVERYWHERE! Feet are smaller, a half size down and slimmer. I can get knee high (or thigh high – ooo er :oops: ) over the once fat calves.

I started to think of ‘final’ goals towards the end of 2013 (once I joined the xmas club, thanks Julliana), Then it turned into numbers once xmas target was met, revised and acheived again. I wanted a round number for a loss, or a milestone. Settled on waist/bmi in the end. Its easy to get ‘too focused’ on the numbers game and end up comparing yourself with stats.

What you actually look like comes into play. Anymore weight off I will look thin, old & haggered (oh, you mean I am not 21) In my twenties I was another 2 stone off where I am today, but that was then and I am not getting there again.

Thanks to everyone if you are still reading this :like: :clover:

I will get some pics up soon. Didn’t take any in June 13 (regret) so will dig around and find something ‘suitable’ for before and of course, some nice ‘after’ shots.. I hope !

For now I will continue with 2 fasts each week as I like the control, but maybe up the cals a bit or up the feast days. Will see how it goes and adjust so I don’t carry on loosing. Beauty of this 5/2 is flexibility, if weight goes on, strict fasts.

Its costing me a lot to re-furb the wardrobe as the clothes were only lasting a couple of months before they were too big. Trousers falling down and bra’s riding high up the back were a common theme! However its very dangerous now as I have so much choice available! I am still an elasticated waist person, so a bit more limited. I have no spring or summer clothes that remotely fit, inc footwear ! Damm…. Shopping (apologises to OH now) :kissing:

The support of the forum has been a huge help and inspiration and will continue to participate and read everyone’s stories. I now have great portion control, eat more veg, salad & fruit and yes, you can leave something on the plate.

Thankyou to my gorgeous OH @fixedwheel who started his 5/2 journey at the same time. We have offered support for each other and encouragement. John has more to loose than myself so I will be keeping my eye on him and prodding him from 50 miles away :grin: , but he as done so well so far (3 stone off), but hit a plateau, not gaining, so all is great. 6.1/2 stone loss between us is a scary thought though… :shock:

To finally finish (thank goodness I hear you say) :clap: , I have achieved and learnt the following:

You won’t die of starvation in the day
Hungers pangs are your friend and you grow to enjoy them
Control of food instead of the other way round
Portion sizes, asking myself, do I really need all that
I don’t need breakfast (only had one breakfast in 7 months, excluding the jaffa cake ice cream I had at the weekend…..)
Eat WHEN proper hungry, not just head hunger
Eat much more fruit, veg & salad and some fish
Calorie awareness
No feeling over full/stuffed/bloated

Not so good:

I sure feel the cold now, no blubber layer
Headaches & migraines are no better, but no worse with fasting
Loose skin, its not drastic, I am no Baywatch babe, but need some toning !
Complete new wardrobe.. ok, that’s not a bad thing, but having to buy clothes that have only lasted a couple of months over the 7 months was hard.

Thankyou again for reading :heart:

Gill
YAY! Standing ovation for that woman! :D :D :D
Well done you - really looking forward to seeing the photies ! :like: :victory: :like: :victory: :like: :victory:
How wonderful!! Well done!! :dance: :star: :clap: :high5:

What a great post - thank you for sharing so many details! I hope you have wonderful fun shopping for your new clothes and that you learn how to be a real bargain hunter :-)
Wow!
Welcome to maintenance :victory: Waiting for the pics
Which correct discussion area? I was trying to move the responses to attach onto your post, but I can't find it!

In the future, if you ask, we're happy to just move your thread wherever you want it :-)
It was me being totally stupid ! I posted in an area that couldn't allow responses !!

Moogie came to my rescue and I re inserted the wording !

See, no change to my brain power!!!
Well Done,

Looking at the stats you posted no wonder your clothes were falling off!

Enjoy shopping for your new summer wardrobe :like:
Tracieknits wrote: Which correct discussion area? I was trying to move the responses to attach onto your post, but I can't find it!

In the future, if you ask, we're happy to just move your thread wherever you want it :-)

So was I...got v confused :confused: so decided to leave it for someone else (Moogie) to sort out! So, we're all fine now?

Anyway, many congratulations @Minigill :star: :victory: ! Loved your long post...it is really inspirational for those who are much earlier in their 5:2 journey to see these kinds of detailed results :like: !

I know what you mean about the cost of the new wardrobe...there is such a lot to buy, even with ransacking all the charity shops the cost mounts up! You must find it so fantastic, though, to be looking at the medium and small sizes in the shops now? I know I do...I look at clothes labelled 10 and think "I won't be able to get into that, it looks so small" but force myself to take it to the changing rooms and what do y'know? It fits!

Looking forward to reading how you get on in maintenance!
What an inspiration you are, well done girl. I bet you feel wonderful and so you should. Enjoy all those lovely , new, slim clothes, you deserve them

Ballerina x :heart:
:heart: Well done @Minigill And thanks for posting your very inspirational journey and the brain sounds good to me enjoy the shopping don't think your OH is going to complain to much about that one because he will be doing a big wardrobe shop himself sometime soon.
:clover: Good luck and enjoy your maintenance :clover:
carorees wrote:
Tracieknits wrote: Which correct discussion area? I was trying to move the responses to attach onto your post, but I can't find it!

So was I...got v confused :confused: so decided to leave it for someone else (Moogie) to sort out! So, we're all fine now?

All fine now thanks !! Think I need to try 5/2 for my brain, get it working for 2 out of the seven days :lol: This isn't one of the two days it may work :wink:
Hey Baywatch Babe!! Thank you for taking the time to type such an inspirational post. You will be so inspirational to any newbies or those with a long way to go. You made me get a bit tearful.

Why don't you come over to the January maintenance thread to help out with us all keeping an eye on each other there.
Fantastic! :like: Whoohoo! I do love it when members reach maintenance and tell of their journey, so much hope and inspiration for those of us still on that road. :victory:
Hi Gill
Really enjoyed your post - was very easy to read, so certainly didn't feel long. :)

Congratulations, you have achieved spectacular results in a relatively short time, without having to do anything "extreme" - certainly an inspiration for others.

My journey with this WOL has had some similarities to yours - although my loss has not been as great, it has also been steady with very little weight gain or plateauing on the way - I think we have been fortunate! :) I also have had left knee problems which limited my exercise. And my weight loss was only noticed once I bought some new clothes (my old clothes were bought so as to hide the weight fluctuations of several kgs that prior to 5:2 occurred regularly).

But that's enough about me, this is celebrating your achievements. Very best wishes as you venture into maintenance.

Cheers! :D
Oh I am ABSOLUTELY delighted for you! VERY well done and what a wonderful post to read. Maintenance is scary to start with but you soon learn to trust your body. Your stats are not hugely out from mine so I thoroughly enjoyed reading your version of a story that is very recognisable to me.

You can just feel your elation coming through your words. Congratulations xxx

(PS You really ARE living up to your user name now then ;) )
76 posts Page 1 of 6