The FastDay Forum

Benefits & Side Effects

128 posts Page 2 of 9
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 Next
I have just found another really positive effect of this diet. After a fast day I made the conscious decision to really think about what I like and truly enjoy eating. To my surprise it wasn't cake, chips, crisps etc, but fish, veg, berries, chicken etc. Has anyone else done this?

I find this positive because I'm convinced that I can at last hear what my body really needs to be healthy and slim. All that junk food was 'masking' these signals. I've even stopped imagining the rubbish food I will want on my feed day; now it's the good stuff I can't wait to tuck into.

I've nearly lost a stone in 4 weeks and plan to continue to 'listen' to what my body is telling me.

Michelle x
Michelle
Yes, I have had a similar feeling. I am starting to think about what I would like/enjoy rather than what I eat habitually. It seems so obvious but I am now eating food I like and ditching the rest! :)
I have even thought about eating primal/paleo style as in Mark's Daily Apple which would have seemed far-fetched before embarking on this way of eating.
A few times I have eaten something that I haven't enjoyed (half a brownie in Cafe Nero springs to mind) and it seems such a waste of time now.
It feels like a positive step.
Hi Jo

I have been researching Paleo eating for a while now and when I eat this way I find it very satisfying. The only problem I find is that it's hard to maintain, as in keeping away from junk food all the time.

I found this site: http://www.lasting-weight-loss.com/Paleo-diet.html I also read Mark's daily apple too.

The site I've posted has recommened that you have one day a week where you eat some carbs. Therefore, my week is going to look like this: Monday = fast, Tuesday = Paleo, Wednesday = higher carb cheat day, Thursday = fast, Friday = Paleo, Saturday = Paleo and Sunday = Paleo. I'm going to try this and see if it will satisfy me better.

I think we should all be our own scientists and experiment, we are not all the same.

Michelle x
That's interesting Michelle. I am going toward paleo (bought nuts and berries anyway! Better than biscuits, at least) but suspect I will still have some (good) bread at breakfast time.

I don't need bread at lunch though.

But yes, might be hard to sustain. It's interesting that I seem to be drifting that way anyway.

I think my increased energy might be attributable to less carbs?

Lets keep in touch about all this. It will be interesting to see how it ends up. Hope your eating plan works well.
Sounds good Jo. Let me know how you get on.
I feel much better after a fast day. My appetite decreased which for me is great. I find that if I eat two kinds of starches(ex:bread then cake)or twice portion(exemple pasta)my tummy hurts. It's disciplining myself to stop at one portion. I can skip meals now without turning into Hulk. Xx
I feel similar Pashcaline.

The feelings of hunger and rumbling tummy have faded. I need to eat less.

I'm still trying to work it out!

Strange when you arrange to go for lunch, then don't want to eat lunch! :D
I agree, it is hard to get one's brain to listen to one's body rather than just fall back into old habits. I think my body may be speaking a foreign language that I only know a few words of, as I don't understand what it's saying half the time!!!
Yes, Caroline, things seem to be changing - and fast!

I wasn't really expecting this to happen but I'm sure it's a good thing.

You must be used to it by now? Only my third week in so still adjusting here.
Hi everyone.

I find that if you keep your carbs between 50 - 100g's a day you can hear what your body wants more clearly. I know this is not for everyone, but I no longer over eat after a fast day and am making really great choices.
shell wrote: Hi everyone.

I find that if you keep your carbs between 50 - 100g's a day you can hear what your body wants more clearly. I know this is not for everyone, but I no longer over eat after a fast day and am making really great choices.

Do you mean 50-100gr carbs cooked or dry? What does that represent? That sounds that I could do that. Xx
Hi Pashcaline.

You count what you eat. So if you cook it and eat it, that is what you count.

http://authoritynutrition.com/how-to-eat-healthy/

Great website helping people reduce carbs to keep insulin levels at an even level so that you don't binge. You need to cut out all processed white flour, sugar and most grains. It's not for everyone, but it works. This can be done with the 5.2 way of eating.
58gr carbohydrates in 1 large baked potato baked with skin (3½" to 4¼" diameter)! A slice of Wholemeal bread is roughly 16gr carbs. Then 21 carbs in 3½ oz or 100g of baked beans... That goes up quickly....32gr carbs for 40gr of Starmix Haribos...I understand that over 100gr of carbs it might be the reason my tum starts to hurt. So I'll keep an eye on carbs and see how it goes. :) I just watch GI for fast days. Xx
Hi Pashcaline

I moved your link to the carbohydrate content of foods to the essential links thread in the Resources section as I thought it was really useful. Hope that's OK?
That's fine Carorees. I just checked on fatsecret, and carbs go high quickly. I'll see how many grams I can cope with not to to have a tum ache. That means calorie counting...oh well!!:)
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 Next
128 posts Page 2 of 9