The FastDay Forum

Benefits & Side Effects

128 posts Page 4 of 9
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9 Next
I am on medication for high blood pressure and having monitored my BP over the last 9 days since starting this there has been a significant improvement - whether this is due to the fasting or simply as a result of weight loss I'm not sure but it's all good for me :)
I am at that time of the month and have noticed that the bloating I usually get has not occurred or is so minimal I cannot detect it. Am not weighing myself but certainly feel like I have lost a bit around my stomach. :) I am feeling good after 4 fasts and looking forward to continuing this journey.
I was a little worried when I first started out on this WOE about the effect it would have on my blood sugar. I've had to carry glucose round with me all the time as I found two hours after eating I would sometimes break out in a cold sweat, start to shake and feel confused and emotional. I'd either have to correct with glucose or chocolate :o
I've never been able to eat anything sweet /sugary unless I've had plenty to eat beforehand ( a kitkat at breakfast was out of the question!)
I realise now that the high GI foods were also causing me to go 'hypo' so the white bread has gone too.
I'm now on my fifth week and haven't had any such problems. As an experiment I ate 4 thorntons chocolates on an empty stomach on Sunday and waited anxiously for the cold sweat & shakes to start, but nothing :D
Now I'm not going to be having a thorntons breakfast on a regular basis but I have it from a very good source ( Carorees ;) ) that this fasting malarkey has no doubt helped with my insulin levels
I have more energy, and I feel calmer too and did I mention, I've lost 11lbs since 21st jan! :P
Hi, I have to agree with the positives others are saying, since I started this diet I am a changed person, I've started to look forward to the challenge on each fast day knowing I am doing some good for my health, the excitement of a feast day arriving having so much choice of what to eat, the strange thing is, my appetite is less and I tend to want healthy food, salad, fish and no pasta, I used to eat pasta in the bucket load, now I look at it and think 'Bloat'. I have more energy, feel more alert yet a much calmer person, Is this the diet? It must effect our brains as well to lose the addiction of unhealthy eating.
I been following this WOE for four weeks now and have already lost 9kgs, which I am thrilled about. For the first fast days my energy levels where quite low, I felt more cold than usual. Now my energy levels are normal on a fast day but I still prefer it to not be an extremely hectic day. I'd much rather stay at home working than having a busy work day outdoors.
I noticed two quite different positive side effects:
I used to have to start using reading glasses but because I had only got cheap ones which probably weren't the right ones,
I kept putting them on and off, both ways (with or without glasses)
didn't feel right. Since starting the fasting my eyes seem to have gotten better, I don't need to use the reading glasses at all any more.
And my muscles seem to want to move, they feel less floppy. I had quite a bad cold and therefore wasn't even able to do any of my regular exercise which I usually do 2-3 times a week. And still my leg muscles felt less tired and more eager to move as if though the muscle tone was higher than usual- it is hard to describe but maybe you know what
I mean anyway.
Has anyone noticed this as well?
I began the 5:2 on 13th January, and today is my 13th fast day.

Apart from losing weight, saving a surprising amount of money on the fortnightly supermarket raid, and (I hope) improving my longevity/health, I've also discovered the difference between 'I am actually hungry' and 'I just want to put something delicious in my mouth.' This can only be positive!

I've also found that fast days don't interfere at all with my ability to exercise (I thought originally that they might make me feel too exhausted to move), and I love the flexibility of the 5:2 - I fit in the two individual fast days per week when it suits my schedule and my mood, which makes my life much easier than following a rigid programme.
Hi newbie here

I started 5:2 on the 2 Jan and I can categorically say its the best lifestyle choice I have ever taken. So far I have lost 7% Body Fat and 13lbs aswell as quite a few inches here and there. I do weights x 2 and cardio x 2 times per week and I find weight training on a fast day is my preferred option.

Other benefits, I feel 'reset' after a fast, appetite, stomach size etc. in addition the heightened feeling / sharpness I have on fast days is great aswell as great nights sleep.

Downside, yes I do feel cold (which is very unusual for me) on fast days and feeling of blurgh if I eat too much (positive really). I have now just started to follow 16/8 on my midweek 'feast' days, I.e eat normally but within an 8hr window.
Hi

Ive only did two fasts so far and feel really positive that I will stick to this for a long time. I usually lose weight quickly on a diet as Im stubborn and when I put my mind to it Im pretty determined. BUT my mind doesnt stay on it for long and I always go back to old ways. I really think it will be different on this diet and thats the main attraction for me.

Positives
*sustainability
*weight loss - 9lbs in 12 days (1st wk was lo cal diet)
* inch loss - losing inches from areas that are usually tough to shift on previous diets
* sleeping much better
* appetite reduced - i need to make sure I eat enough on non fast days. This has surprised me the most. Its a dramatic change for me!
* lots of energy on non fast days
* feel less stressed (tho that may be because Im obsessing about this instead!)
Gosh I have felt so energetic and elated to day, combination of good weight loss (11lbs in 2 months) and warm Spring sunshine. Done loads of housework, good hour walking/shopping, eating well. A very Happy Day for me and to you all :0)
Having read all of the positive aspects nobody has mentioned not having to pay to a diet club ie WW or Slimming world, now I know that going to these clubs has helped me in the past but I have always regained the weight overtime.
When joining I always feel like its a major thing in my life ie feel in the right frame buying the products and having to count points and feeling bad if I did not do the diet correctly and then suffering when the loss was not enough.
With this WOE I feel in control and as it is just 2 days of not much food then it is easier to concentrate on those days.
Is this the end of clubs?? As after all the support is on the web now in forums like this.
I am also much more positive about maintaining my weight once I am at a weight I am happy with, also I feel if I don't "diet" for a week or so due to holiday or illness then it is so much easier just to carry on with the fast diet. Also men have responded to this WOE as not many men go to the female dominated clubs and don't respond to the counting points or sticking to diets 24/7 type diets
...a weekend of very complimentary comments. :D
This may seem a bit trivial but my finger nails and skin are much better. My nails are noticeably stronger. They always used to split at the base and I could never grow them because of this. Now I've had a manicure and painted them and they look and feel great. Also my skin is far less greasy, so no more spots!
I have been doing this for 2 weeks and already:
:grin: I am a lot less bloated - this was an overnight thing for me
Before I felt continually hungry and literally ate through the night as I lay awake - now I don't eat through the night and can decide to stop eating when I want :grin:
I am regularly saying "no" to biscuits, chocolate and cake (although I do have these sometimes :wink: )
My hot flushes previously were terrible and almost constant - now they are relatively rare and I sometimes "even" feel cold. I have had to buy some cardigans! :shock:
My clothes are getting looser - I have lost over 8lb already
And I am not as flatulent as I was - which is welcomed by the whole family :wink:

Got husband and son on diet too although they are not as "compliant" as me!
I started fasting early February and by week 3 had lost 6 lbs. I now see-saw between 7 and 8 lbs lost (after 6 weeks) and haven't lost anything for the last couple of weeks. I'm finding the fact that I feel so cold on fast days hard to cope with. I feel this will be easier when (and if) we get any proper Spring weather. Also, I'm not very happy at work and, as I'm a big comfort eater, I am stuffing myself with junk. HOWEVER, this is a post about the positive effects and I have to say that on a fast day, I feel 'cleaner', slimmer, not bloated and my face looks thinner and younger. My head doesn't feel foggy and I feel I walk with a lighter step (!!!). This alone is enough to make me continue and eventually I hope to start losing again.
I suffer from Migraines and was fully expecting to get one when fasting as i have on diets before but no i feel fine and am on my 3rd fast day and week 2 of the fast diet
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9 Next
128 posts Page 4 of 9