The FastDay Forum

Benefits & Side Effects

128 posts Page 5 of 9
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
Best side effects are that I now feel in control of my hunger which is a real eye-opener.

For example today I had to go to Tesco for some bits and pieces, I walked past the bakery section and saw a huge platter of cupcakes which looked delish! Normally I would have stopped and agonised over getting them knowing full when when I had scroffed a few the guilt would be all-consuming and I would hate myself and feel totally miserable. But today I thought to myself that yes, they looked lovely, but if I wanted them I can have them tomorrow and it was quite easy to walk past with that thought.

However when tomorrow comes I know if I want cake then yes I will have ONE cake and there will be no GUILT about eating it - the GUILT that has followed me for the past 25 years is leaving me - and that makes me so happy I could cry!!!
I have been following the 5:2 diet since last july. Lost 1 1/2stine feel better etc, but surprisingly my balance has improved. Balance is an indicator of aging as demostrated by Dr Mosley's Horizon programme. I had thought that once it was gone it was gone, no way to repair.

Has anyone else noticed anything similar improvement or can think of reasons why?

Details:-
Using the Nintendo Wii-fit, tasks such as the weigh in or the ski jump. I used to wobble a lot. Now I can stand still. This is not due to more practice, I was using it everday then stopped for months, retried it again recently.
Yes, I've noticed an improvement in balance but I wasn't sure if it's just because I weigh so much less now or some neurological improvement.
I have lost 1 1/2 stones but I am still over 15stones so less than 10% loss.
Feel a little more alert not not sure it would make that much difference.

I used to wobble all over the place doing a ski jump now I can stand perfectly still.
I have been fasting for about two months now and as a sufferer of PCOS I have to say that I am very happy with how things are going so far.

My cycle used to range from every 13-29 days, so it was a bit of a mess. My last three cycles have been 25-26 days. I know it's only been a couple of months but I am really happy with this improvement. Also, I would become bloated...badly... I would gain 1.5-2kg before TOTM I know it was just fluid but it was never pleasant. Now I gain about 0.5kg before TOTM. I actually had to check my calendar to find out when I was due b/c I can lose/gain 0.5kg in the course of a week with fasting, eating, salty foods, drinking a little more water etc.

If I am craving a particular food when fasting I tell myself that I can have it tomorrow - guilt free. The only thing is that when I get to tomorrow I usually don't want it.

If I fill my plate with the same quantity of food that I would normally eat before I started fasting I usually can't finish it, or if I do then I feel as if I have eaten too much. I am learning to eat less, and I enjoy it more.

I rarely snack. I generally eat two or three meals a day. If I want a sweet biscuit then I can have it after lunch/dinner (not between meals) that way I can't overeat on sweets as I am already full with a proper meal.

I am sure I will have a lot more to add as I continue to fast over time.

Oh, one more... I feel a lot happier. Happier with my food choices, happier within myself. It's great.
Bought the book, read it four times, been on the diet 5 weeks, lost 8 pounds and 3 inches on the hips, three inches on the bust :shock: (Nothing on the waist :confused: ). The possible positive side effect I noticed was when I went to the dentist on a fasting day for TWO root canals. That evening, after the pain killer had worn off, I was in great pain and applied ice, took aspirins, and went to bed early. Needless to say, this helped with the fasting! :lol: The next morning I was surprised to awaken with a still swollen jaw...but NO PAIN! The dentist had prepared me to be in pain for two days, so you can imagine my relief. Now, I am not sure if fasting helped with this or not, but it is my observation of my experience. I am curious to know if anyone else has had a similar experience.
Thank you,
Cynister
I have only been on this 'diet' for 2 weeks but already seeing so many positives :) Ofcourse one of the main ones for me is looking weight, I don't own a set of scales so I'm just measuring myself. And I've already lost cms in the first week, yay!
Another positive is my new attitude towards food, I've always been slightly obsessive with food and I find on a lot of other diets you have to let food control your life in the sense of everyday counting calories/kilojoules/points in food, and having 'good' foods and 'bad' foods. On the 5:2 only thinking about calories 2 nights a week when I plan what I can have on my fast days do I focus on food now and knowing on feast days I can have whatever I want I'm actually choosing healthy options whereas on other diets its been a case of 'not allowed food catogory A so all I want is these foods' for example
I've also found I have way more energy :) can't wait to see what other positives from the 5:2 I'm yet to experience :)
I feel more positive in general and happier about myself and pleased that I am doing something good for my body and my health.
I'm only on day 1 so not much to refer to, however I am thrilled that I have had a whole day free from IBS. No pain, cramps, bloating - I cannot believe it. I've even had a cabbage stir-fry for tea - one of my fav veggies, but one I usually avoid due to IBS cramps. I really hope this isn't a one off !
Almost immediately since I started this I no longer have night sweats. Perimenopausal, and this is the biggest symptom I've had, so this is great.
Not sure if this is a benefit or not... I appear to have dropped 1/2 a shoe size. Thick socks needed now. ;)
badalya, it's common to have smaller feet after losing weight. A lighter body is less pressure on the feet. I hope this happens to me; I might finally be able to fit in the largest Japanese ladies shoes! They have such cute shoes here, but the largest size is currently just a bit too small.

Anyway... the positive side effect I've noticed so far (at ~3weeks) is that I'm eating healthier in general. Part of this is because I have to finish off some of the fast day vegetables before they go off, but I think my desire for bad food has gone down, too. Now if I can just lay off the wine and lattes...
Started the 5/2 on the first of April, so early days yet. Positive effects I've noticed so far:
- improved skin (fewer spots, less dry)
- better muscle tone
- feeling more energetic
- clearer head
Not much news, I'm afraid, but perhaps relevant if somebody decides to subject these posts to some stats method? Another repair day (I love that term!) planned for tomorrow. Thanks to everyone for these positive stories.
Fewer dishes to wash!
I have only done five fasts so far, but without à doubt my IBS is better. It's like i have less inflammation in my body. For the first time since all my health problems started 6 years ago things are starting to feel better instead of worse. I am longing to find out more about the research in this area, hope more is coming soon.

Looking forward to my next fast Monday. / Nickis :like:
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
128 posts Page 5 of 9