The FastDay Forum

Non-diet Chat

2009 posts Page 75 of 134
Previous 1 ... 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78 ... 134 Next
Re: CHATTERBOX BEANIE
26 Feb 2014, 15:09
Candice--about weather here in the US. After a weekend respite from the cold, we are back in the Polar Vortex for the next week or so here in the Northeast. Our daily highs will be in the teens and lower 20's (F) with nights much lower. There is a winter storm brewing for early next week, but still too soon to tell its extent. I'm so sick of this long winter :curse:

I see by the weather map that California is in for some much-needed rain, unfortunately, not enough to break the drought. It's all for a good cause, Rawkaren.

Ah, I see some sun lighting up our big South windows--love that solar heat. :grin:
26 Feb 2014, 15:17
I thought of my international forum friends today when reading this in the NY Times http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/26/dinin ... crets.html and the master recipe http://www.nytimes.com/recipes/1016082/ ... cones.html My Mom and grandmother (Nanny's parents from England) used to make the most tender and light biscuits (American style--that is: not what we call cookies)

I had a chance yesterday to score a Cheddar-Chive "Biscuit"--read scone--at the Ithaca Bakery yesterday--they sell out fast. What a lunch--biscuit split, topped with aged cheddar, run under the toaster-oven till brown and bubbly. :eat:
26 Feb 2014, 16:12
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: car failed its MOT. Need to reassess what we'll do. Landrover is so bloomin' expensive, even though we hope warranty will pay for one of the jobs.

All I want to do is :cry: but there are worse things in life.

Great photo, wineo!
26 Feb 2014, 16:31
PennyForthem wrote: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: car failed its MOT. Need to reassess what we'll do. Landrover is so bloomin' expensive, even though we hope warranty will pay for one of the jobs.

All I want to do is :cry: but there are worse things in life.

Oh No! that's a blow PennyForthem. Hope you get the repairs done as quickly as possible! x
26 Feb 2014, 16:35
I am sorry your Landrover failed its MOT @PennyForthem, transport is such an essential thing these days, but yes there are far worse things that can happen. My dad always used to say in such circumstances, " Well so long as you've got your health". Which used to seem irrelevant, but I know what he meant by it now. :bugeyes: Hope it all turns out well for you. Auri XX
26 Feb 2014, 16:41
Cars have a nasty habit of eating your money :frown:
26 Feb 2014, 19:29
Ouch @PennyForthem Hope you can get it sorted.

I had a Subaru before, and when it started needed repairs it was SO expensive, even having the actual work done by a very reasonably priced local back street garage. The owner joked about the price of my new exhaust - "gold plated" he said it should have been for the money. Generic parts are simply not available. The sort of thing you don't know until you own such a car :frown:

Twenty minutes till I pick hubby up from the station and can eat. Of course, I could eat earlier, but the children eat TOO early for me on a fast day, and I hate rushing my meal. My tummy is rumbling!
26 Feb 2014, 19:56
Such willpower @Winsome! Well done :smile:

Oh Penny that's such a bummer. Cars can be such a pain when things go wrong can't they. I've just had to fork out £293 to get new brake pads on my poor little static Citroen C1. Mind you, it keeps me going because I know I HAVE to drive it in order to avoid any more damage! Which reminds me, I must give it a wash one day...it's got green mould on it :frown:

Bean :starving:
26 Feb 2014, 20:00
We're lucky we only run one car. We need one that will tow our caravan, so the freelander does the job.
26 Feb 2014, 20:03
Bummer Penny, cars are a necessary pain in the bank balance. We have two that are slowly falling apart but they will have to last a bit longer.
26 Feb 2014, 21:23
Although MOT's are sometimes an expensive pain my OH's last one found some potentially dangerous problems, it didn't make the large bill any nicer but the consequences could have been disastrous.
27 Feb 2014, 00:09
Scones were one of the first things we were taught to bake in High School. Though I had been 'helping' to make them from the time I could balance on the tall stool at my Grandmothers.
I think tomorrow is sorted with various ideas that have got my fasting brain salivating. Slow cooker porridge for breakfast, slow cooker gammon hock for dinner and scones with sultanas.
27 Feb 2014, 02:40
That is really beautiful Manderley, there are some stunning areas around there.
We are thinking of going to New Caledonia at Xmas for my big birthday, I'll have to get you to vet the French restaurants (ex French colony) on trip advisor and tell me which ones you think pass the grade!
27 Feb 2014, 05:23
That sounds like a wonderful way to celebrate your birthday Debs.
I'm trying to work out why I thought it would be a good idea to bake bread on a fast day :?:
27 Feb 2014, 05:40
Marybeth wrote: Candice--about weather here in the US. After a weekend respite from the cold, we are back in the Polar Vortex for the next week or so here in the Northeast. Our daily highs will be in the teens and lower 20's (F) with nights much lower. There is a winter storm brewing for early next week, but still too soon to tell its extent. I'm so sick of this long winter :curse:

I see by the weather map that California is in for some much-needed rain, unfortunately, not enough to break the drought. It's all for a good cause, Rawkaren.

Ah, I see some sun lighting up our big South windows--love that solar heat. :grin:

oooo It rained today :like: :like: :like: To start with there were warnings about not driving and I was laughing about it. When the rain started, the Brits would call it condensation. However we have had proper 'film rain' tonight. Sheet lightening, flash floods - the real mcoy. We need this :like: :like: :like:
Previous 1 ... 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78 ... 134 Next
2009 posts Page 75 of 134