The FastDay Forum

Non-diet Chat

2009 posts Page 104 of 134
Previous 1 ... 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107 ... 134 Next
Re: CHATTERBOX BEANIE
11 Mar 2014, 21:19
Ooh don't talk to me about vet's bills. Over the past 3 years I must have spent thousands on Poppy....because she's worth it :grin:

Rat poison on sandwiches? How despicable. Why are people so cruel? :lol:

Bean xx
11 Mar 2014, 21:56
I agree Bean.Why are some humans so cruel to dumb animals who are at our mercy.
I sometimes think some humans mustn't realise that animals feel pain,sickness,sadness etc. just like we do
@PennyForthem i hope your dear pooches get well and the old girl stays well x
11 Mar 2014, 22:26
Bean is off to bed. Sleep well all!!

Bean :sleepy: :sleepy:
11 Mar 2014, 22:54
wendyjane wrote: Thanks, @Callyanna. No wonder I didn't get it. So the plates she no longer has to display are license plates? You can spot learner drivers from the plate on the car? Fascinating!

@wendyjaneFun learning British innit.
Weird how we all do things so differently and we don't think twice about posting simple remarks.
Yes @callyannaDIL was ded chuffed today congrats to her hope you enjoyed your quality time cally. :heart: Sue
11 Mar 2014, 23:22
Sue.Q wrote:
wendyjane wrote: Thanks, @Callyanna. No wonder I didn't get it. So the plates she no longer has to display are license plates? You can spot learner drivers from the plate on the car? Fascinating!

@wendyjaneFun learning British innit.
Weird how we all do things so differently and we don't think twice about posting simple remarks.
Yes @callyannaDIL was ded chuffed today congrats to her hope you enjoyed your quality time cally. :heart: Sue

It is fun, @Sue.Q. I'm always struck by how much we all have in common, in our experiences, daily routines, and even language, largely as a result of the "interweb" and our shared culture - movies, TV, etc. And then someone will say something that just leaves me thinking "huh?". In fact, part of @callyanna's explanation was "drivers under tuition...". Of course that must mean they are learning, but the only tuition I know about is what you pay to attend a college or university or private school. :smile: I'm sure, now that I think about it, that it's the same Latin root as "tutor" has. Another British word related to schooling is "revision". I've known for years that it simply means study, but we would only use it in the "change" sense, that is, to revise a paper or document, so it still sounds odd to me.
11 Mar 2014, 23:33
Wineoclock wrote: Our learner drivers display a yellow L plate (which means look out I have no idea what Im doing )
Then when they pass their test they display a Red P plate for a year (this means look out I drive like a I'm in a demolition derby)
Then the next two years they display a green p plate (this means look out I've been driving for a year so I'm the best driver in the world).

Love your explanatory comments, @Wineoclock! Now I really understand. We should have a system like this in the US, but as hubs remarked, we're too proud of our "independence" to have reasonable laws - that's why we carry guns. (not that "we", of course, that "we" think it's a horrible idea for regular citizens to be permitted to carry guns.)

One more question about the British/Aussie system. If a new driver and an experienced driver share a car, does the plate get removed and put back on with every driver change?
12 Mar 2014, 00:55
It can be, but most people just leave it on as its too much hassle taking it off every time you swap the car around (usually because our 'L' plates are sticky back plastic ones not magnetic) . There are 'driving instructors' who own cars that have a big sign on the roof that proclaims them to be driving with a learner whilst also advertising themselves.

I do have to ask, do you have to take ANY kind of a test to drive in America?
12 Mar 2014, 01:40
Haha! We may be cowboys,@Julieathome, but we DO have to pass both an on the road and a written test in order to get a license. Regulations vary by state, as with most things, but in general you can get a learner's permit at 15 and a license at 16. With a learner's permit, you must have an adult over 21 in the passenger seat. It may have to be a parent or guardian if you are 15, I'm not sure.

Hubs has a great story of when he was taking his on the road test. It was in the driving school's car. As he was driving over the train tracks, the car stalled and wouldn't restart. Well, he was able to start it before the train came, but the instructor/tester was quite white with terror, and passed him on the spot and told him to just drive back to the testing site!
12 Mar 2014, 01:46
As far as the plates, we tend to take them off but sometimes forget. Our licencing laws vary from state to state too. Where I am you can get a learners permit at 16. Then you have to log 120 hours of driving with a fully licensed driver with you. Most will get some professional lessons too.
You can take your driving test at 17.
12 Mar 2014, 01:57
The rules in Tas are similar, licence at 17, the P plates (provisional) for at least two years. I don't think you can have a full licence until you are 21. In more rural places the biggest challenge is finding the requisite challenges, i.e., roundabouts, traffic lights, hills, large traffic areas to negotiate and I am sure that is the case in a lot of Australia! Explains the quality of the driving in some places!!!
12 Mar 2014, 05:51
wendyjane wrote: Haha! We may be cowboys,@Julieathome, but we DO have to pass both an on the road and a written test in order to get a license. Regulations vary by state, as with most things, but in general you can get a learner's permit at 15 and a license at 16. With a learner's permit, you must have an adult over 21 in the passenger seat. It may have to be a parent or guardian if you are 15, I'm not sure.

Hubs has a great story of when he was taking his on the road test. It was in the driving school's car. As he was driving over the train tracks, the car stalled and wouldn't restart. Well, he was able to start it before the train came, but the instructor/tester was quite white with terror, and passed him on the spot and told him to just drive back to the testing site!

@wendyjane Hi from California. The learner plate in the UK is just a temporary card you stick on the car - not a proper plate as you would understand it. I just took my California written test - I passed without reading the handbook. It was hillarious and lots of trick questions. The behind the wheel test is very different from the UK. Here in California it is only about 10 minutes long, whereas in the UK it is quite in depth and nearer to 45 minutes. However I have yet to take my behind the wheel test, so I need to be careful that I don't assume too much! The dmv here has something of a reputation. Don't know if it is the same in Colorado. I have found the level of road awareness and safety here not the same as the UK. In fact many users are downright dangerous and claim their right to the road as if they owned it rather than being considerate to other road users. Quite a culture shift for me and a little scary... :bugeyes:
12 Mar 2014, 06:32
Good morning campers :cool:

It was really light when I took hubby to the train station at 06:00, I almost didn't need lights :like: Daffodils and crocuses brightening up the place and birdsong - what a lovely feeling after the cold dark days - like yesterday :lol:

Have a good day everyone :smile:
12 Mar 2014, 07:33
Winsome wrote: Good morning campers :cool:

It was really light when I took hubby to the train station at 06:00, I almost didn't need lights :like: Daffodils and crocuses brightening up the place and birdsong - what a lovely feeling after the cold dark days - like yesterday :lol:

Have a good day everyone :smile:

Makes me sing 'oh what a beautiful morning'!

I'm off to work, and then a choir rehearsal, and then taxi-ing oldest daughter to a late ballet lesson. Might manage to get back on here late tonight......!?! At least I'll be too busy to think about food :)
12 Mar 2014, 08:41
Morning peeps from a foggy Wales.
Off to the vet, yet again, for puppy to have a check up. She's a bit better, but not right yet.
I didn't manage my fast yesterday, so think, until various dogs and puppy are Ok, I won't put myself under the pressure of a hard fast.

Have a good day everyone!
12 Mar 2014, 10:24
PennyForthem wrote: Morning peeps from a foggy Wales.
Off to the vet, yet again, for puppy to have a check up. She's a bit better, but not right yet.
I didn't manage my fast yesterday, so think, until various dogs and puppy are Ok, I won't put myself under the pressure of a hard fast.

Have a good day everyone!

Hope Anu gets the all clear from the vet today, must be worrying for you Penny. Go easy on yourself and try not to stress too much. x
Previous 1 ... 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107 ... 134 Next
2009 posts Page 104 of 134