The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

53 posts Page 1 of 4
For those losing weight at a good pace 1pd a week (or more) what kind of exercise are you doing? Cardio? Strength? None? I'm just curious what everybody is doing.. Thanks!
None :) Aside from a brief walk to the shops every few days!
I do try and run but only about 3 miles and since doing 5:2 have probably averaged about twice a week.
Currently I'm averaging about 1.3 lbs/week. I'm 5 weeks in and for the first few weeks I did very little exercise. However, the last couple of weekends I've been walking twice a day, and during the last two weeks I started having a "brisk" 25-30 minute lunchtime walk. I've been feeling better and stronger lately and this week in particular and am hoping to head back to the gym this month for both cardio and weights.

My Wife is also 5:2ing it. She has now lost 9 lbs, considerably more than me. A major contributor to this no doubt, is that on the Fast days (Tuesday and Thursday for us), she goes to the Gym (she doesn't work on these days). She does around 45-70 minutes cardio on the treadmill, walking at a very fast pace (7) and maximum incline (gradient 15), but she also then does around an hour on many of the weight machines. I cannot keep up!

I'm planning on doing largely cardio (cycle, stepper, cross-trainer and treadmill) for around 15 minutes or so each with one or two arm exercise machines in between. Hopefully kicking this off sometime tomorrow...
I'm a gym bunny.
Swim a mile 5 times a week, do Yoga or Bodybalance 5 times a week and Bodypump once or twice a week.

After a fast can now pull my tummy in under my ribs to make a big hollow - no muffin top any more.
Not losing much more weight (maybe the odd pound before a holiday for vanity sake)
I do a one hour Pilates class one a Monday evening which is a fast day. I am also fortunate enough to be able to walk to work which is a 15min brisk walk which I try and do four times a day if I go home for lunch (or a cup of tea on a Mon and Thurs).
Lost 1kg a week on no exercise at all. After 2 months bought an exercise bike and now do Dr M's HIIT protocol and am losing 0.5kg/week, but I don't think the exercise has caused the slow down!
All my weight loss was without exercise, it averaged out to 1.3 pounds a week. I am now doing HIT 3 times a week and playing badminton once.
I do park run (5km) every Saturday, 1 or 2 other runs up to 5 miles during the week, walk 2 miles most days, go out for 60 - 90 minutes on my bike when not too wet/windy, do press-ups & pull-ups at home and also attend the climbing wall most weeks. Happy to exercise on fasting days, felt a bit weak during feasting period this week...
i do zumba once a week, its fabulous (not tried it on a fast day yet - too scared)
*Saggy* (Butterfly) - GO FOR IT on exercising on a fast day.

A gym friend who is late 60's short limbed Scottish started fasting three weeks ago
this morning as we were going into yoga she looked NOTICABLY slimmer under her ribs - you know that bulge below the boobs when you slump in a chair - hers stuck out a lot less than before.
She's chuffed to bits as the first weight loss (as she exercises when fasting) seems to be that bastard visceral tummy fat ....
I've been fasting Monday and Thursday for 5 weeks and have lost 9 lbs. I do 1 Hour Body Balance sunday & tuesday, 30 lengths once at weekend and once during the week, Pilates on a Monday, 1 hr brisk walk on the hills with the dog 4-5 times a week, and an hours dressage schooling on my friends horse once or twice a week! Oh, and I work full time!! Don't have any difficulty doing moderate exercise on a fast day, and I was doing this much exercise before I went on 5:2, but combining it with too much chocolate!
One hour brisk walk every day, & run 5kms 3 or 4 times a week, but I lost weight in the past without doing a lot of exercise.
Started Crossfit this week, so weights and a bit of conditioning. Will aim to run at some point as interested in barefoot running.
Saggyoldcat wrote: i do zumba once a week, its fabulous (not tried it on a fast day yet - too scared)

Me too on both counts!
Zumba is the only exercise I have genuinely enjoyed.
53 posts Page 1 of 4