The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

1467 posts Page 43 of 98
Previous 1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 98 Next
Re: Are there any runners here?
22 Jan 2014, 13:47
hello!
this thread was recommended to me. i'm a new 5:2er but am a dedicated (ha!) runner already.

i've done 1 half marathon - 2010, 2h25
2 10ks - 2009 1hr8 and 2012 1hr6

i'm at the start of training for another half mara in may and can't wait! at the moment i'm doing 3 runs a week, these last 3 weeks i've been doing 5k each time, but will increase the weekend run, did 6k on saturday and will try for 7k this weekend.

currently running 5k in around 32 minutes which i'm THRILLED with as i seemed to be stuck at 35 minutes for too long. i think regularity of running + being able to do a full 5k non stop now is really helping.

ran yesterday in the torrential rain and while it was a slow and soggy 34 minutes out (5.5k), i surprised myself by really enjoying it. ain't no stopping me now, etc etc.

anyway, thought i'd introduce myself and say that i'm so impressed and motivated by all of you runners!
22 Jan 2014, 14:21
Hi Ayjaycee, and welcome! Are you in the UK, in which case do you know about parkrun?
23 Jan 2014, 05:24
I think I've talked about my forest road hill run. This is my view on the last 1k these days:
23 Jan 2014, 06:45
Wow, Mary Ann, what a view! Fantastic! Mine is just fields and cows...and not many cows this time of year as they are mostly inside.
23 Jan 2014, 07:27
most of this run is just trees (which is nice in its own way), but every now and then it opens up to a view of the sea. It was definitely a good find. There aren't many cars up on this road :-)

Those are Taiwan cherry blossoms, btw. They bloom in Okinawa at the end of Jan, beginning of Feb. The flowers, as you can see, are darker pink than the traditional mainland Japan cherry blossoms.
23 Jan 2014, 09:47
Gorgeous picture @MaryAnn I'm very envious here in soggy, muddy, grey South East England.

I have been for a run this morning !!! my first in about 6 weeks. The physio finally pinned down my hamstring problems to my sciatic notch! and although she said I could run I was not comfortable so I have been walking instead. But today the sun was shining, it wasn't frozen and I felt like giving it a try and I managed 5km in a reasonable 33:19.

Back to parkruns soon I hope :smile:
23 Jan 2014, 10:20
@MaryAnn: I just had to check Google Earth to find exactly where Okinawa is, and it turns out to be miles from anywhere! Lovely picture, which part of the island is this?
23 Jan 2014, 12:49
It's in Onna-son, about halfway along the island, overlooking the East China Sea.

Yeah, it's pretty much the middle of nowhere.
24 Jan 2014, 09:18
What a motivating view that must be. Amazing.
25 Jan 2014, 11:48
25:20 today, worst run for ages and for no good reason. Two decent bike rides, a long walk with a weighted rucksac, a session on the climbing wall and a couple of days lazing around carbo-loading all for what? A whole minute slower than last week and both my old opponents strolled past me. Complete rubbish, and hips pretty sore to boot. Still, there's always next week....
25 Jan 2014, 12:38
Cheer up Pete! how did Mrs Pete get on?
25 Jan 2014, 12:49
MrsPete got off lightly - she was conscripted to the Run Director role at short notice (yesterday) and is just going out for her run now - will let you know when she gets back!
25 Jan 2014, 12:54
CreakyPete wrote: 25:20 today, worst run for ages and for no good reason. Two decent bike rides, a long walk with a weighted rucksac, a session on the climbing wall and a couple of days lazing around carbo-loading all for what? A whole minute slower than last week and both my old opponents strolled past me. Complete rubbish, and hips pretty sore to boot. Still, there's always next week....

Didn't I read that you've got a fractured wrist.?
Running with a fractured wrist would slow anyone down wouldn't it.
We are so hard on ourselves aren't we. :wink:
25 Jan 2014, 13:02
Wrist was August, back to normal by mid-September so no excuse there, and still ran faster with it in a cast anyway...

Since I broke it pressups on flat hands have become very painful though so concentrating on pullups now for arm strength.
25 Jan 2014, 18:26
I'm sure it was just a bad day! As you say, next week is another day. There are so many factors at play when you run and you aren't going to be at your peak every week. Don't get despondent you are one of my running heros! I hope Mrs Pete did well on her run.
Had a lovely little 12km run this afternoon with a friend in the sunshine and a temperature of 14°C! I was really sorry I didn't wear T shirt and shorts.
This time last year it was snowing...
Previous 1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 98 Next
1467 posts Page 43 of 98