The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

349 posts Page 23 of 24
Previous 1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 Next
Re: Couch to 5k
04 Oct 2014, 01:42
When I first started running, I did exactly as ADFnFuel says: just keep adding distance/time. Trying different routes can be fun, too. Joining races is a great way to stay motivated. In the UK, I did race for life 3-4 times, and in Okinawa I've done more races than I can count. Now that I am trying to get faster, and do more challenging distances, I add in other stuff: weight training, intervals, etc. I am getting faster and running longer, but at this point, most of my improvement could just be down to weight loss.

Good luck! The important thing is that you've found a type of exercise you enjoy doing.
05 Oct 2014, 11:32
Any advice on what to do when the weather turns? What to wear? Up to now I have been lucky that the weather has been fine on my running mornings, or I have been easily able to do the next day instead. But this morning it was raining and tomorrow I do Zumba. So I realise that I am not equipped with any kind of jacket that I would be able to run in if it was raining. Hoping it will be dry later and I can do it this evening instead.
05 Oct 2014, 17:45
Thank you @ADFnFuel! Those times are very motivating, as I thought most people ran sub-30 minute 5ks!
05 Oct 2014, 20:09
Belindab wrote: Any advice on what to do when the weather turns? What to wear? ...

In two words: breathable layers. Something you can easily put on (or store tied around your waist) if conditions warm up while out. I find that a light fleece jacket (with pockets) over a tech T (and running shorts, of course!) with a set of thin knit gloves and ear muffs to be warm enough in combination to handle most any windy or cool weather down to about 4c. Even lower temperatures and even more windy? Add breathable running pants and tuck everything in. For light rain conditions, consider adding just the jacket. For wetter, consider taking a throwaway poncho or stay home and call it a rest day.

I finished two races that were soaking wet from start to finish. The first had stretches of ankle deep water through town - bubbles and splash - squishy the whole way. Dry socks at the half way point were absolutely heaven...for maybe 2km. The second had occasional downpours that'd lighten up just long enough to remove the poncho, then have to put it right back on. Wringing various items out to reduce weight for the remaining miles was a frequent distraction. Memorable too. Minor point now that I'm rambling: blisters can't happen when your feet are drenched.
06 Oct 2014, 01:04
I have the opposite problem in Okinawa: it's never too cold/wet to run here, but it does get to hot/humid. This summer, I spent a lot of time in the gym doing short but faster runs on the treadmill and interval training on the elliptical.
06 Oct 2014, 08:39
If you are in the UK Aldi supermarkets have got running gear in on Thursday. I am off to get some. The summer stuff has been good.
15 Oct 2014, 16:49
Thanks for your thoughts ADFnFuel and Brand-ie, I've been looking to see if Aldi have any running stuff over here in France, but nothing at the moment. But I think I am pretty well kitted up now. I have a pair of long active leggings from M&S, a very light showerproof jacket from Mountain Warehouse, a headband/earwarmer thing, a warm but very light breathable long sleeved top, plus I already have my shorts and capri pants, a vest and a T, plus a lightweight fleece. So absolutely no excuses, as long as it isn't really tipping it down, or icy..... and topped all that lot off with a proper pair of running shoes instead of the trainers that I've been getting by with. Take them for their first outing tomorrow. I am so fluorescent that I am worried that any passing drivers may go off the road as they will be blinded.... :geek:
16 Oct 2014, 21:41
I'm now the proud owner of special socks, a hat, head-band, a buff and some gloves, all from Aldi. So thank you @Brand-ie, I wouldn't have known about this otherwise! The buff has been worn already, and I think it's going to be well used!
17 Oct 2014, 08:14
@AnnurcaYou are welcome. I got some longer running leggings, a long sleeved T shirt, a gillet and some running gloves. I decided if I had to wear a base layer then it would be too cold for me to go and run cause I am a wimp LOL. I've gone back to running for 25 minutes for the moment and hope to build up to 30 again. My breathing isn't good in the damp.
21 Oct 2014, 12:43
I've done it! I ran 5km without stopping! Yes, it took me 47 minutes and 18 seconds, but I did it!
I know I will be able to go faster than that now, as I deliberately eased off my pace this morning, to make sure I would be able to go the distance. It was such a great feeling to get to the end of the road - my half-way point -and have the feeling that I really could do the same again. I'm just so amazed at how much progress I have made in less than 3 months. :-)
21 Oct 2014, 13:59
@Belindab Well done, it's a great achievement! It must have felt good at the half way point and even better at the end! And to have finished knowing you had more left in the tank!
I'm now quite some way behind you as I got a chesty cough just before I was due to do my first 30 minutes, and so I've cautiously eased back in as per advice on the internet. I'm due to get to 30 minutes next week. And then the aim is the fabled 5k! But you know, it now feels achievable, before I started C25K, it really felt like something that other people did, but I couldn't.
Congratulations again!
28 Oct 2014, 14:22
Me again! The thread has gone quiet...
I've now reached 30 minutes and feel quietly proud of myself!
28 Oct 2014, 18:52
Great progress ladies!
:smile:
18 Nov 2014, 17:04
Just bumping for @wibbles. Plus my news......

Got the running bug again. Unfortunately I've done something to my upper quad. So have had to stop the treadmill training.
My intention is to build up to half marathon next sept. The great north run. I've registered for email alerts when booking is available. My BIL is going to run with me.
Will continue to do my aerobics classes until I can get 5km back under my belt, was so dissapointed last Tuesday when I jumped on my tread mill and could only do 3 mins without pain.
Anyway good luck all and hope the park runners are still competing.
Also hope @Creakypete is doing ok
18 Nov 2014, 17:27
carieoates wrote: Just bumping for @wibbles. Plus my news......

Got the running bug again. Unfortunately I've done something to my upper quad. So have had to stop the treadmill training.
My intention is to build up to half marathon next sept. The great north run. I've registered for email alerts when booking is available. My BIL is going to run with me.
Will continue to do my aerobics classes until I can get 5km back under my belt, was so dissapointed last Tuesday when I jumped on my tread mill and could only do 3 mins without pain.
Anyway good luck all and hope the park runners are still competing.
Also hope @Creakypete is doing ok

Thanks @carieoates
W.
Previous 1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 Next
349 posts Page 23 of 24