The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

349 posts Page 22 of 24
Previous 1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 Next
Re: Couch to 5k
29 Sep 2014, 22:58
After doing c25k last November December I have continued to run this year and have completed 3 5k races I must say it is lovely to get the medals and the grandchildren are very proud. They also get treated to a Pizza Hut meal after the races. C25k is well worth doing. Well done all of you.
01 Oct 2014, 15:18
I'm a graduate! Yesterday was perfect weather for my final C25K run - 70 degrees (21C) and partly cloudy. I think that @Brand-ie, @Mrstee, @Belindab and me (say the names, they rhyme :smile: ) are all new grads. Won't you old grads throw us a party please?
01 Oct 2014, 15:40
Well done @wendyjane! I'm hoping to join you all in a week or so.
The question is what are you going to do now? 10k?! I'm aiming for 5k, which I think will take about 37 minutes at my pace, so still some weeks to go.
01 Oct 2014, 17:20
Well done @wendyjane! I've done my first 30 minute run today - I'm still a way off doing 5k, not sure if I will manage it for a while, as my pace is even slower than yours @Annurca I think! I don't really have any inclination to go for longer distances, I think I will be quite happy just to keep running for about 30 minutes x3 a week and see how I can increase my pace. Though I have downloaded the 5k+ podcast...
01 Oct 2014, 17:56
Yes, really well done everyone. I've been out and about trying to run on "flat" roads, I might have to move to Norfolk ! The hills here are very picturesque ... And tiring ! I have found a couple of fairly flat quiet roads for running on. I think I'll stick at 5k and just concentrate on the time it takes me, that will be enough. It's lovely to hear the birds and the crunch of autumn leaves. I might do Parkrun too once I feel I'm ready. Keep up the good work all. :oops:
01 Oct 2014, 18:32
Congratulations ladies (and especially wendyjane) on recent accomplishments!

Notice that further happiness and adoration can be had by posting a pic of your race bib, completion time and conquering hero story. Really....I saw it in the forum's fine print...

:-)
01 Oct 2014, 18:40
Well done @wendyjaneThat's fantastic. :grin:
I still have one run to go before I graduate, should be Friday. I have downloaded the 5k+ podcasts as I am not wanting to run 10 k at the moment.
@Belindabtry a route mapping programe off the web you may be closer than you think. I think my run was about 4.5 KM in 30 minutes so not as bad as I thought.
01 Oct 2014, 21:54
So, @ADFnFuel, I guess you are waiting to see the race bibs before you throw us a party. Hmmph.

I think my pace is slower than @Belindab or @Annurca's. For my final run yesterday, I had my best pace and best distance (an extra thrill!) - 2.24 miles and 13:24 min/mile. At that rate, I could theoretically do a 5K in a mere 42 minutes :lol: . So my plan is to return to 25 minute runs, which feels long enough to me, and just try to speed up a little. I have no desire to win, though. Being in the race will be satisfying enough. And that race will probably be in late November, so patience, ADFnFuel!

@Mrstee, it's picturesque here too, and agree about the birds and the autumn leaves. But the other day I nearly stepped on a small snake, and that was less exciting!

@Brand-ie, my iphone maps my route, that's how it knows the distance. Do you have to use a separate program? Also, excuse the dumb question, but where does one find these 5K+ podcasts?
02 Oct 2014, 06:45
The 5k+ podcasts are here http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/r ... dcast.aspx
They are off our NHS website here in the UK.
I don't have any type of smart phone so use the PC when I get back.
02 Oct 2014, 07:08
I hope to be able to join in on this thread within a couple of months.

I did the C25K programme about three years ago and it really works! I ended up getting the running bug and ran 20 miles a week and even did the Great North Run (13 miles).

I'd love to get back into running but I weigh far too much at the moment and my joints just couldn't take it :cry: Once I've shifted a few stone then I'm going to start again as getting back to running is one of my goals. I used to be so fit and let it all go to waste. I could get so cross with myself really if I thought about it too much :frown:

Well done to all of you who are sticking with the programme. It's well worth it :like: :clover:
02 Oct 2014, 08:28
@Brand-ie and @wendyjane I track my runs on my iPhone with both fitbit app and Runkeeper. My best run so far was actually the last one of week 8, when I covered 4.36 km in 39mins 59 secs - that's including the 5 mins walk at each end! So I am actually covering less than 3.5km during my run, with an average pace of over 9 mins per km. So I will definitely be keeping going for a while before I make 5k in anything like 30 minutes :-). Have just converted to miles, that's an average pace of 15:33 minutes per mile! So you are speedy by comparison wendyjane! I always start tracking when I leave the house, rather than when I start the run, so perhaps I will change that after this week and then just keep track of the running section.

@mrstee I have only one direction that I can go in that is reasonably flat. There is a slight elevation of 35 metres, which I find makes it hard for me to set a good pace at the beginning, but the other two options are far worse! It does mean that I have plenty of variety though, if I start getting bored, I guess if I can get up onto the plateau it will actually be quite enjoyable to have the views up there! I do love being out in the countryside though - I see deer, peacocks, horses, squirrels, geese, ducks, chickens - no snakes yet!

@cheekychicken you are doing the right thing to get on board with 5:2, I am sure you will get back to your fighting weight and be able to take up running again before too long. I never thought I would ever feel like a runner, this is such an amazing programme! I really notice how much fitter I am already, even though I am still a tortoise and would probably be overtaken by other people walking. I've only got little legs!
02 Oct 2014, 17:52
For 'mental floss' calibration purposes using the results of a recent women's 5K (ignoring age categories):

22 minutes places you in the top 1%.
32 minutes places you in the top 23%.
42 minutes places you in the top 60% (ahead of 513 others who finished later).
52 minutes places you in the top 76%.

Overall average time: 40:05

So you may wonder what's my time for comparison? Zip. You'll notice that these are the women's results. Which means that I'm over on the sidelines near the finish line arch cheering you on! Go ladies, GO!

:like:
02 Oct 2014, 18:12
Oh, that's exciting! Thanks, @ADFnFuel! All I want to be is in the middle instead of the tail end, so it looks like I'm ready.
I did my first free run today, but I must have hit the wrong button as it didn't get logged at all. The choices seemed to be "pause" and "quit". Anybody can tell me how this works?
03 Oct 2014, 14:08
Thanks so much for this! So, in reality it seems that for most women couch to 5k is a bit of a misnomer. Still I am happy to have achieved a run of 30 minutes, that is significant for me!

Now, what is the best way to continue, especially if one does actually want to be able to run 5k? Should one aim to stay with running for 30 minutes and gradually improve speed, or add more time, or a mix of both? Today I managed to do improve my pace somewhat, so at least 2of my km took less than 9 minutes each.

ADFnFuel wrote: For 'mental floss' calibration purposes using the results of a recent women's 5K (ignoring age categories):

22 minutes places you in the top 1%.
32 minutes places you in the top 23%.
42 minutes places you in the top 60% (ahead of 513 others who finished later).
52 minutes places you in the top 76%.

Overall average time: 40:05

So you may wonder what's my time for comparison? Zip. You'll notice that these are the women's results. Which means that I'm over on the sidelines near the finish line arch cheering you on! Go ladies, GO!

:like:
03 Oct 2014, 22:12
Belindab wrote: Thanks so much for this! So, in reality it seems that for most women couch to 5k is a bit of a misnomer. Still I am happy to have achieved a run of 30 minutes, that is significant for me!

Now, what is the best way to continue, especially if one does actually want to be able to run 5k? Should one aim to stay with running for 30 minutes and gradually improve speed, or add more time, or a mix of both?

Signing up and doing an organized 5K is the best way. Just raise your hand where people gather around the starting line and loudly ask: "Any other first timers here?". You'll meet many like-minded people facing the same doubts and challenges.

So how does anyone get faster or run a longer distance? By adding a little bit at a time and learning from the result. Sure you could download another generic run plan, but "I'll run just one more minute before I take my walk breaks today.", or "I'll run to that next corner." is all it takes. Tomorrow you might decide to do a little bit more.

Mini-successes accumulate to convince our always-vigilant and grumbling internal curmudgeon that "we won't die" if we add another 100 meters (100 yards) or another 60 seconds.

Do you remember your thoughts when you faced that first non-stop 10 minute run? How about the one for 20 minutes? Same thoughts again for 30 minutes? Some variation of "That's impossible!" is what you were thinking, right? If three consecutive guesses establishes one as an expert, you were wrong all three times. Looking back with what you've experienced, can you now say with any confidence that 31 minutes is impossible? Or 35? A 5K can't be hard either then because essentially you've already done it. But now you have the opportunity to fully appreciate it with a group of new found friends.

HTH
Previous 1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 Next
349 posts Page 22 of 24