The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

349 posts Page 21 of 24
Previous 1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 Next
Re: Couch to 5k
12 Sep 2014, 12:44
I've just done week 6 run 1, which I thought would be a breeze after the 20 minutes two days ago, but actually wasn't. I was fine, but a bit surprised!
12 Sep 2014, 13:49
It's been my experience that walking for longer than 1 or 2 minutes allows the body too much time to cool down. This makes the next run in the sequence harder - like you had just started out.

Once you've returned to normal comfortable breathing - can talk in full sentences - you're ready for the next run segment. This happens very quickly early in the run. As the distance accumulates it can take a bit longer.
12 Sep 2014, 19:38
It's funny how the first run segment does seem to be the hardest. I think too that I set out a bit fast, a little bit of overconfident having done 20 minutes, thinking this was only a 5 minute run! I know better now!
When I first mentioned I was going to start running, someone replied that you don't lose weight to start with, and I think it was @ADFnFuel. If it was someone else I apologise, but I did just want to say thank you for the warning, it was correct, but knowing that would happen made it less frustrating.
16 Sep 2014, 19:12
HELP - need techie advice.
I ran Week 8 Day 1 today. Yay, me. It was hard. That extra 3 minutes felt like 25 more.
But here's the problem. I actually did two runs. The first time, I did my 5 minute warmup, and after 1 minute of running, my phone buzzed - WORKOUT COMPLETE! So I started again, this time managing to find a way to skip the walking warmup, which I'd done already of course.
But now there is a log of my first run. "Great Job" (grrr!). Telling me I "ran" for 6 minutes (5 minute warmup, 1 minute run).

So how can I delete that run? Not that it really matters, but it will bug me. I can't seem to find a way to just delete the whole run.

PS. ADFnFuel, this was NOT user error!!! I was just holding the damn phone when it decided my run was complete. Very aggravating.
21 Sep 2014, 17:21
I am really chuffed I did the third run of week 9 this morning on the trusty treadmill (and annoyed I forgot to wear my fitbit !). I can't believe I got this far. I am going to work on running in the great out doors next, which will be much more difficult I'm sure. Keep going everyone, if I can do it you can too ! :oops:
21 Sep 2014, 17:45
I'm now in Week 7, and have only run outdoors. I have trail shoes because they have good grips (but less padding) than road shoes. I love running outside, but it's easy for me to say that as I started in August, and it's only rained a couple of times, and hasn't been cold yet! I'll miss the squirrels when they hibernate... So @mrstee, I'd encourage you to get outside as soon as you can!
24 Sep 2014, 07:57
I went early today for week 2 run 8 ( I am now at the point before the summer hols got in the way). I have already downloaded the 5k+ podcasts and will probably do those too. I am glad i went out early as the rain is horrendous here now.
25 Sep 2014, 21:07
Hi Annurca, thanks for the encouragement ! This morning I drove to the top of the hill, parked and did 5k. I wish I could say I ran all the way, but I only managed about half the distance with fast walking breaks in between. Still too many hilly bits for me ! But a big achievement, I've never done that before. I'll have another go another day, maybe I'd better find somewhere flatter ! The views were fab down the valley and the sun shined too. Very different to the treadmill but more enjoyable. Legs feeling tired now . :oops:
25 Sep 2014, 21:21
Glad you enjoyed it @mrstee! Being outside is really rather special, especially in warm sun in late September!
I've just finished week 7, and have downloaded a phone app that measured my run. Two miles actual running. I still can't quite believe I can run that far!
26 Sep 2014, 12:09
Well done @mrstee ! Fantastic to have completed week 09! That's me next week I hope, as I have just finished week 8 this morning. I am pleased that I have managed to up my pace a little, together with getting more distance in the extra 3 minutes this week, so it will be interesting to see how close to 5k I actually get - currently on 4.36km including the two 5-minute walking sections - I've got short legs! Planning to start a new season of Zumba on Monday so will have to switch my runs to Sun / Wed / Fri I think.
26 Sep 2014, 14:21
I am the same as you@Belindab just finished week 8 this morning and will embark on week 9 on Monday.
26 Sep 2014, 15:30
Well done everyone ! Just back from a dog walk instead of a run today .... Legs are still tired but mug of tea and a toasted tea cake has helped !
26 Sep 2014, 16:15
deleted...

I've no idea at all what that response phrase means and Google was less-than-useless interpreting it. Apologies if appropriate.

:confused:
26 Sep 2014, 17:20
I feel the need to say " ooh er mrs"!

Don't worry,
29 Sep 2014, 09:19
Just done my first run of week 9 OMG my legs are feeling it. I shall treat myself when out at lunch today.
Previous 1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 Next
349 posts Page 21 of 24