The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

777 posts Page 2 of 52
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 52 Next
Re: Walking tent
24 Apr 2014, 13:55
Walking my dogs every day for 50min up hill and down dale has, I am sure, complemented the 5:2 WOL and helped with my weight loss. I have only been able to do an every day walk since stopping paid work (which was just before I started 5:2) - so not an option for most!!

I think setting a target of 10000 steps a day and wearing a pedometer could help motivate you to get walking again. Having a set time you walk can also be good - I walk the dogs as soon as I get up (and don't they know! They start crying/whining once it is light, and then go berserk when they see me, racing up and down between me and the front door. They then cry/whimper while I put their leashes on. Soppy things. :) And when I can work out how to do an avatar, I think it will be the dogs. ) Sorry, sidetracked!

I agree that walking is different to hiking (and enjoy both) but they do overlap (I think that is a contradiction??) I think of walking as something you can do almost anywhere, inside and out, using treadmills etc. Also agree that walking with a friend is a great way to catch up and do something that has other health benefits as well.

:D
24 Apr 2014, 15:31
I love to walk. Two things have helped me increase the time spent walking - a dog (and yes, she just LOVES her walks) and a fitbit. Since adopting the dog, most of my walking has been outside. But I have a handicapped brother who does better on flat surfaces, so have been trying to figure out a way to get to a local indoor track for him. As it turns out, he likes to walk the dog, albeit shorter distances!

I haven't been hiking since I broke my leg a couple years ago. I really need to find time to do that again!
24 Apr 2014, 16:43
I also try for 10,000 steps a day (measured on my withings) and I try to only do "useful" steps in my everyday routine, rather than going for a walk. I rarely manage the full 70k in a week though, so I need to be more creative. Ironically the only days I go over 10k are when I'm out in the evening eating/drinking, and have to walk there and back. So a mixed blessing calorie wise ! :grin: If I dont walk much, I feel itchy, and really enjoy getting back to it

The irony last week was that I was working on a small holding - busy all day outside, and doing spring cleaning, rarely sat down, but my weekly step count was significantly lower than my urban life, when I walk to/from shops, railway station etc
24 Apr 2014, 17:56
Can I come in??? I love walking and also need to get back to it. Having somewhere to log what I've done may just help me to get back in the habit. I did see the hiking tent but didn't join as I don't hike very often.
Thanks for the tent sallyo :)
Dee
24 Apr 2014, 20:31
I think of walking in the 'everyday' sense, which seems to chime with most of the posts here - walking the dogs, with a friend, or just for enjoyment, not necessarily pushing oneself to make it like exercise - but getting the benefits all the same. As I've just moved work location to a new (and very interesting and quirky) town, this thread has given me the idea of doing 30mins walk on my fast days - it will mean I am doing something nice in my statutary 'lunch break' :grin: as well as getting to know the town better, twice a week. :smile:
24 Apr 2014, 20:40
Thats what I enjoy @silverdarling - breaks the day up nicely, and is almost as good as having lunch :grin:
24 Apr 2014, 20:56
Yes agree there @minumonline :grin: :grin: :grin: need the day breaking up after a morning at the PC - and it seems a crime to be inside at this time of year. I will however be awarding myself a (small) lunch out at one of the many cafes / tea rooms / delis now at my disposal :lol: :shock: :lol: - but only one day a week :wink:
25 Apr 2014, 00:00
I like to walk first thing, early. Today I slept in. My sleeping pattern is bad at the moment. I'm not sure when today I'm going to walk but it will happen and I've now made a pledge and I'll report in later today.
25 Apr 2014, 06:07
Hello everybody

Reporting in with another 30 min walk completed in the most gorgeous sunshine here in Melbourne. Now to enjoy a cup of tea.

I am planning to do it all again tomorrow.

cheers
Maggie :smile:
25 Apr 2014, 07:47
Good on you Maggiee! I love walking in the autumn, not too hot, and the trees look lovely!
25 Apr 2014, 08:54
Yes! I walked. I visited my mum at the nursing home and drove the car a little way, and walked to the shops with my shopping trolley. It was just a bit too challenging at this stage of my walking project to do that little bit extra of walking from the nursing home, up and down a hill, and again getting back. I wanted to be gentle with myself and work up to the whole walk. I've begun!
26 Apr 2014, 07:00
Rather a chilly wind but the 40 min walk has been achieved today, even with a couple of little hills.

Not quite sure if I will get a walk in tomorrow as we are going to a wedding, so might have to get on the bike or the wii fit in the morning.

cheers everybody

Maggie :smile:
26 Apr 2014, 07:31
Very good Maggie! I am stealing myself to walk down the road to the shop. I can hardly bring myself to go outside, it's so freezing. But I've just put an apple cake in the oven which has to cook for 50 minutes and we need cream. So down the shop I go. BRRRRR. I'll set my i-phone for 20 minutes and see how far I go, and then come home in time to take the cake out of the oven.
26 Apr 2014, 09:05
Sallyo wrote: I've begun!

Well done :grin:

I exceeded 10k steps yesterday - it really helped that I had a meeting in another office, so traveled between the 2. Its amazing how many steps are involved when you get the tube, its a non-trivial walk from entrance to getting onto the train. Then a diversion on the walk home via Waitrose all really added up.

I walked out to pick up my hire car this morning, and forgot to put my Withing on :curse: I keep reminding myself I still got the benefit of the walk, even if I didn't record it !
26 Apr 2014, 10:18
Sallyo, thanks for erecting this tent. I live in London (no car as you don't need one or if you do you can rent) so I walk, walk, walk. You have inspired me to buy a pedometer so I can track my activity levels. I recently went on a 'Meet up' walk - series of walks by water organised by a gent called Steven, 30-40 of us met at tower hill and walked over tower bridge and along the south bank of The Thames to Greenwich. Chatted with some very interesting people along the route and had a picnic in Greenwich by the cutty sark. (6 miles). The next walking by water walk I have signed up for is in May is http://www.meetup.com/Walks-by-Water/events/157082742/
Anyone who has not come across Meet Up before - it's a forum where people meet up. Google it and you'll see the wide range of activities you can join from walking, photography, music, art etc. You can set up your own activity to lead too - it's a great way of meeting likeminded people.

Off to purchase my pedometer. Expecting to walk more next week as we have a tube strike Tuesday/Wednesday ......

Lizbean
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 52 Next
777 posts Page 2 of 52