The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

777 posts Page 1 of 52
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 52 Next
Walking tent
24 Apr 2014, 02:26
I never look at the 'Are there any runners here' tent as I do not run. I do walk however and have fallen into a bit of a hole lately. That is to say, I am not walking much. I thought I would start a walkers' tent and that might get me started again.

I love walking as an exercise because all you need is a pair of shoes. I feel so much more energetic when I have a walking thing going. And I sleep so much better. Everything is better so I don't know why I have these periods of not doing it.

At one stage I was parking the car a distance from where I was going and walking there. It made my walks feel purposeful. At other stages I do the 6 walks from Forth. There are 6 roads out of Forth, 2 of them up the hills as I live in a river valley. I like that.

Either way, I like to take my iPhone and do my Japanese on my Rosetta Stone App. Or I might listen to the radio. A friend of mine does talking books but I never managed to set that up satisfactorily.

I wonder how other people get themselves into the walking zone when you have stepped off it?
Re: Walking tent
24 Apr 2014, 03:03
I would like to be in this walking tent, thank you for starting it. I try to park far in parking lots, take, stairs & take the long way around the office, but I need to be more structured about it, no - scheduled- so I think this will be a good idea. When I walk sometimes I listen to my shuffle, ancient technology to be sure! and sometimes I walk at the mall, so I like to people watch, but I also like to walk outdoors when I can just breathe in the nature. great idea, thanks Sallyo.
24 Apr 2014, 03:31
Walk outdoors? I always walk outdoors as that is the only option! I can hardly imagine walking 'indoors'. Thank you for joining the tent. I'd like to pledge to do a walk this afternoon but it depends on when the visitors leave.
24 Apr 2014, 04:31
*waves* Hi! I walk a lot (my fitbit flex (pedometer on my wrist) tells me it's about 10kms a day on average).

My walks are mostly one when I first wake up and another roundabout 4/5/6pmish. I listen to podcasts as I go. Have tried talking books, but have found I much prefer reading books. I listen to a lot of ABC Radio National shows, NPR shows, storytelling podcasts, science podcasts, a huge range of things. Always something to suit my mood. And then sometimes I just pump up music really loudly. These walks are through the suburbs and parks near where I live, and my Labrador is my walking buddy.

I also bush walk/hike as much as I can too. Don't wear headphones for theses, too many fabulous nature sounds around and I'm normally with friends too.

Thanks for starting this tent Sallyo
24 Apr 2014, 05:33
Thanks for setting up a Walking Tent as that's about all the exercise I do!

I also enjoy walking, but not too far and not on a regular basis! I live on the outskirts of a town and try to walk at least three times a week just fast enough to feel my heart pumping faster but not get out of breath for 30 - 40 minutes. Sometimes when I feel good I am a bit more adventurous and make sure the route goes up and down a hill or two or perhaps for a longer time. I miss having a dog because I know we would be out and about much more.
24 Apr 2014, 06:39
Great idea thanks @Sallyo - I am known to be a lazy exerciser but the last few weeks I have been doing a mixture of Wii fit, bike riding and now this week have done two 30 mins walks, which is all a big deal for me.

I plan to increase the walks to 3-4 times per week.

Happy walking everybody and thanks Sallyo.

cheers
Maggie :smile: :smile:
24 Apr 2014, 08:21
@Sallyo can I join in this tent? Like you my walking had dropped of because life got in the way at home plus our winter which actually wasn't a bad one
Back into my walks again always out into the country which us so enjoyable taking in the nature along the way.
You asked how we got back into the zone well I dealt with the family stuff and put that to bed, plus at the same point I seemed to have hit a plateau so back to basics and getting
5:2 in with true fasts, my weightloss last year was my motivation for my return I actually use that as motivation for everything, what better way.
I don't have any device at all with me but I did use an online site (map my walk) to track about 10 different walks from my home all circular and differing lengths for each mood of the day, I try to walk on each of my 3 fastdays and hopefully after my holiday 1 extra one with OH with a picnic or pub lunch, I'm fasting today but my walk will be short one today after seeing the nurse about 4km
24 Apr 2014, 09:48
Oooh I'm coming in. I love walkin...do it everyday with my mad border collie. 3 miles is the minimum, if the sun is shining then it's usually more like 6. ( this is why I have big calves!) luckily my daughter loves walking so school holidays the hikes are long and usually involve a picnic stop ( or country pub) we are lucky here as one road leads to the canal path, the other road leads to the fields.
Today dog and I chose the scenic canal path, she has her usual morning swim with the ducks and we were off. No music just nature.
24 Apr 2014, 10:02
Thank you everyone who has joined this tent. I didn't walk today. My visitors stayed too late. Tomorrow!!! I think 'hiking' is a bit different from what I had in mind for this tent. 'Hiking' is what we call 'bush walking' which is certainly a kind of walking, but I go 'bush walking' occasionally, but I want to do walking most days. I found that when I walk far enough and often enough it has significant impacts on my wellbeing. I am going to report in this tent when I go walking, just like I do on the 'fasting today' thread. I used to have a pedometer and I loved it. Perhaps I should get another one. I found my self pacing the classroom to get my steps up, doing laps of the basketball courts on playground duty.
24 Apr 2014, 10:17
izzy wrote: Getting confusing with all these tents :confused: I think there already is a hiking tent, started recently by Barbarita. Maybe they could be 'merged'?

I agree - walking/hiking/rambling.
@barbarita started a similar one only yesterday.
@carorees or any other mods, can we merger these please?
24 Apr 2014, 10:22
Even though I'm trying to become a runner, I love walking and once my 5K is over I'll walk sometimes too. It's better on the knees.

There are a few nice paths near me that I enjoy walking on. I like to listen to music. I also think it's a great thing to do with a friend! The walk goes by so quickly that way and it's a way of catching up with someone without eating being involved!
24 Apr 2014, 10:27
I am lucky enough or unlucky to live half way up a very steep hill out in the country. When I leave my house it is exactly 1mile to the top of the hill puffing all the way and a nice cruise down I see sheep,lambs, cows, calves, hares, deer, hear the woodpecker and the cookoo (sp) this takes me 35-40 min I find this walk to be the perfect exercise I do it 3 times a week whether I am meeting friends later in the day for a longer walk or am going for a run later. I have done this walk on and off for 25 years, it is my friend. I will hate it when the day comes that it is too much for me but that is a long way off yet I hope.
24 Apr 2014, 12:48
Hello, hiking & walking are two different activities in my head, so I hope you will consider not merging them. Walking is something I can do daily on a treadmill, at the mall or around the neighborhood without too much fuss. Hiking requires preparation, water, sunscreen, a hat &in our case, a drive to a forest preserve. I know it's semantics, but hiking seems overwhelming & walking seems gentler & more doable. Imho.
24 Apr 2014, 13:12
yes, totally different activities. One's a daily activity and the other's a 'get in the car, pack stuff, spend all day - or several days' kind of affair. Good but different from everyday walking.
24 Apr 2014, 13:43
I set up the rambling/hiking tent with the emphasis on off-road walking. I know some people do power walking around town, quiet roads, parks, with or without headphones. I will go along with a majority as to whether to merge them or not.
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 52 Next
777 posts Page 1 of 52