The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

777 posts Page 48 of 52
Previous 1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 Next
Re: Walking tent
10 Apr 2015, 23:15
Yes, I think gardening counts as exercise. The trouble with me is, I'm so unfit at the moment that I can't spend any decent amount of time in the garden without getting worn out. So it's walking for me until I get fit enough to do proper gardening.
11 Apr 2015, 08:03
I managed to walk the girls yesterday. We walked around Crondall Gold Course. The weather was just perfect and its such a beautiful course. The girls loved it, although Poppy will insist on picking up grass. She knows she's naughty when she does it.
This morning my calf muscles are aching. What a pune, eh?
As for gardening...its great exercise! As is house-work...but I wouldn't want to take it up as a hobby! :wink:
11 Apr 2015, 09:26
Well 15,000+ steps for me today, which is my lowest this week, find it easier when I walk dogs with my neighbour who is a very fit septuagenarian. But i did 116 very active minutes which is why the dogs are passed out, they'll have burn marks on their necks if I go any faster LOL. Humbug...or Humbugger as I sometimes call him, is such a scavenger at the beach (school hols so food all over the beach), I have to keep him on lead now. I have been eating like a beast and losing weight, so must be the walking...Fitbit encourages me to do more. Anyway it was a beautiful day, so nice walking the beach. Happy walking.
11 Apr 2015, 13:17
Very impressive @GMH! Day 3 of my new regime and another walk done. I didn't get to 10,000 steps but. Never mind. I did walk down the Forth Road as far as Chinaman's Bend. The street lights were on when I got home. The flat walks are easier but tomorrow I have a hill walk.
11 Apr 2015, 14:39
@Sallyo great to see you out and about again! @Nursebean Lovely weather here too. When I was in weight loss mode last year I really noticed the positive affect and contribution of walking on fast days, I could feel the weight dropping off me. Has anyone else experienced that? PS they were not long walks either .....
:frown: no walking for me today as I'm distilling 21 pages of a meeting notes into a report. :curse:
@GMH respect to you! your dogs must love you dearly and you always make me smile. :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
11 Apr 2015, 22:26
@Sallyo do u keep ur pedometer on at all times or just for your walks? My Fitbit is on permanently and it is amazing how many steps I do around the house, shopping...People drive round and round to park close to supermarket, I park and walk. Then walk dogs twice on days off, morning and evening, 45 to an hour each time. When I'm working, if I do 2 dog walks it's about 10,000 (much slower than walking mine, when I'm on a mission to get home :-)), if I do 3 dog walks about 13,000 to 15,000 depending on laziness level and then I walk mine at night, so 15 to 20,000 per day. Funny looking at Fitbit...on bum, mad walk, on bum, mad walk, on bum etc, so I have 2 speeds: walking and sitting :bugeyes: good luck for todays hill climb...and how are you finding ADF?

@Lizbean my dogs look at me like...again! Can we go slower and search the Sushi Train (beach) for hidden treats? I'm going to check that I haven't worn their pads off LOL. When I walk with my neighbour (in her late 70s) and her little dog, she says 'tell me when u want to go back, cos I would walk forever'. She walks at least 2 hours a day. So we walk and chat and get home in the dark. Goes quickly.
12 Apr 2015, 23:30
Was a twice a day dog walker until last week when my little Miffy passed away. I have still been getting up at 6.00 am and walking myself because it is what I do in the mornings and I am finding that I am walking faster without my little elderly friend. I did 40 minutes this morning at a pretty quick pace. I have missed the afternoon walk when I get home - it was only 15 minutes but it used to bump my fitbit steps up by another couple of thousand steps. I am currently #10 on the 5:2 fitbit group so will have to ramp it up a bit to catch up with @GMH. Fasting today and I often pop out for a lunchtime walk on fast days as it distracts me from the lunch room. I am lucky enough to work near to an oval where there are views of Sydney Harbour so a quick circuit of that also helps boost the steps.
13 Apr 2015, 00:30
@Pilchards poor you, losing Miffy! Yes the walks are way faster without the beasts, i'm slothing about in a dog park as we speak, no energy for going faster after a night of insomnia...asleep 2am, up 5am boohoo. Goof luck catching me, I'll look at my heels :wink:
13 Apr 2015, 11:32
@Pilchards, I am so sorry to hear of your loss of Miffy. It is such a painful thing to have to go through and only fellow pet owners can understand what a huge hole it leaves in your heart. We lost Susie seven months ago and it was only this Saturday that we have re-homed another sixteen month old black labrador. My steps have increased already, although I will never catch up to the rest of you champion walkers!
08 Jun 2015, 10:51
Here we go fasters, let's get cracking!
I had a good walk around Bedford kite festival yesterday, an annual event we always enjoy, the variable wind making things quite tricky for the many sizes and shapes of kites trying to stay airborne. It's held alongside the river Great Ouse so we walked along there too.
Unfortunately I have managed to destroy my 6 month old note3 phone (gnashing of teeth, smacking of head) so no step counter, but it felt a good distance and was around 3 hours.
My super son has now lent me his old spare phone so at least I'm connected again (phew, it was like losing a limb) and apps are being sorted and added :0)
Keeeeeeeeep moving!
09 Jun 2015, 06:52
@Azureblue I can hear that head smacking from here :wink: only 8500 steps yesterday but that did involve sitting in a meeting room in Covent Garden all afternoon, shame one can't measure brain exercise too :grin:
17 Jun 2015, 11:22
Kicking and screaming, I'm dragging my body out of the house and down the street. Two walks this week, only small so far, but I am on the move after a very long hiatus. How are you going up there in the north? Let's get walking!
Today I walked down to the shop, across the river and turned right down the WaterWorks road. i didn't get very far down the road before I turned around. I'm so out of practice. I'll have another go tomorrow.
17 Jun 2015, 18:47
Today we had a reasonable walk at some gravel pits that are now flooded and turned into a country park. It's working really well, a weasel ran across the path in front of us and we could see its progress by the birds flying up screaming along the lake bank. Terns were wheeling and diving all around us, lots of water fowl, reed warblers singing full tilt. All rather lovely.
Keep up the good walking @Sallyo, you'll feel better for it eventually :0)
17 Jun 2015, 19:59
Be careful out there. I had a uncle that was killed by a weasel.

He was crossing the tracks one day and didn't hear the weasel.
18 Jun 2015, 00:34
What is the difference between a weasel and a stoat?

A weasel is weasally wecognised whereas a stoat is stoatally different.

Sorry. I'd love to see either stoats or weasels on my walk. Sounds lovely @Azureblue
Previous 1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 Next
777 posts Page 48 of 52