The FastDay Forum

Fastonbury Glamping Grounds

1436 posts Page 80 of 96
Previous 1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83 ... 96 Next
Re: 2014 Low Carbers Tent
27 Sep 2014, 16:57
Back from low carb shop with radish and auburn hair dye too ..... I being very gentle and loving to myself this weekend :smile: as my job has been on the upward stressful curve all year (big change programme at work) and the end of this stressful week meant I did not get to sleep till 4am this morning which ain't a good way to start the weekend. :bugeyes: got to take control with the job else I'll go ping like a spring :shock: :wink:

Welcome @drDee yes reducing carbs has been key to my success by replacing them with lovely food. Never had a sweet tooth since I overdosed on sugar in my teens and it made me really ill and frightened the pants off me. I do have sweet treats outside the home from time to time - and I go for the highest quality treat I can find :victory: The challenges are great for beginners, but nearer goal you do have to be really realistic and extremely patient as you are moving into maintenance and need to recognise the change and revise your mindset - thanks to @Sue.Q who was there to give me a good talking too :like: Sue, no radish pasta tonight as I completely forgot I've been invited to a drinks party and the host always puts on the most healthy veggie snacks. I'll report back on the radish, but do wonder if there are larger radishes outside the UK. I bought the salad radish. There is also sweet potato pasta, has anyone tried that? Some of the recipes are low gluten and others paleo. I'll post the book later.

@SSure yes let's have a spiralizer/mandolin (watch those finger tips Sue!) party :wink:
27 Sep 2014, 17:06
SSure wrote:
Lizbean wrote: DD bought me a Lurch vegetable spiralizer and recipe book which looks great fun - radish pasta tonight....that'll be a first :smile: !
@Lizbean - spiralizers are fab, we can trade :geek: tips on what to do with them. :)

@WendyDarling - you need to speak to these ladies!!

Just a thought - low-carb is more like caveman diet is it not - they weren't fat were they?????
28 Sep 2014, 14:10
@Madcatlady- neither did cavemen have comfy sofas :wink: are you low carbing?

Ok, now on the right track so off to find more appropriate radishes
http://cookingcaveman.tumblr.com/post/75957759303/new-paleo-pasta-substitute-daikon-radish
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daikon
28 Sep 2014, 16:21
Hi @Lizbean - I guess I am low carbing - although not necessarily intentionly! Having more or less given up bread, pasta etc and not being too fussed about potatoes I can come in at about 79 on a feed day - if that qualifies as low-carb?

:grin: :grin:
28 Sep 2014, 17:45
Hi @Madcatlady I think we are on a simlar journey, I too cut out pots, pasta etc but when people talk about calorie counting carbs my brain shuts down BIG time :confused: :bugeyes: what is a daily 80-100g measurement of carb for those who don't want to count? Ok that has done my brain in just writing about it.

Ok, I have the right radish, so of to prepare :geek: :geek: :smile: :smile:
29 Sep 2014, 08:13
https://www.fastday.com/fasting/the-bas ... hy-eating/ has a list of foods at the end with carb counts, that will give you enough of an idea to be able to moderate your carb intake. Aim for keeping under 150g and see how you go.
29 Sep 2014, 08:38
Lizbean wrote: what is a daily 80-100g measurement of carb for those who don't want to count? Ok that has done my brain in just writing about it.
@Lizbean - very basic guide here:
http://www.livestrong.com/article/46041 ... rbs-a-day/

Lean for Life program recipes and menus seem to be <100g of carbs a day.

Googling: what does 100g of carbs a day look like
returns some interesting threads tho' it takes some digging around.

ETA: while I dilly-dallied, Caro posted her helpful link :)
29 Sep 2014, 17:16
I had a great fasting day dinner of spiralizer zoodles with Italian turkey sausage and marinara sauce last night. Zucchini noodles really don't have much taste but then neither do wheat or rice noodles. And they really are fun to make.

I feel like I'm getting back into the gvroove, not starving at all today after a nice breakfast smoothie with protein powder. And it is amazing how much better I feel about myself being back in charge of my eating rather than vice versa. Indeed to be thinking ahead to a low carb dinner tonight so I don't get into a nibbling mode. Hope you fasters are having a good day! Dee
29 Sep 2014, 18:31
I have been practising different types of low carb pancakes that I can take with me when I'm on the move.

My favourite is one whole egg, two egg whites, 1 tbspn of chia soaked in quarter cup water, quarter cup of chick pea flour. Blend well. It's a very gloopy batter. I add flavourings like cumin, coriander to give it a spicy taste. To add fibre I sautee some broccoli slaw in coconut oil first and then pour over the batter mixture. So it's like a frittata but with more body and keeps me full for hours. Minus the filling and coconut oil, it comes in at 274 calories and 24g of carbs. Tastes nice cold so sometimes I take it to work for lunch with some spicy tomato salsa. I have also blended spinach into it - it's very green so don't eat it in public!

Tomorrow I'm going to try a sweet one with coconut flakes, almond meal and apple puree. Carb count will be higher because of the apple, but I suspect it will taste indulgent!
29 Sep 2014, 18:51
Hello everyone,

I hope its ok if I join in this thread please?...... forgive me as I haven't read back from the start :bugeyes: but only read from the top of page 80 (80!!)

I have been here before,... back in Jan 2013 according to my tracker.... but since then I've had varying success with losing weight using complete meal replacement foodpacks and the dukan diet.... my most successful way of eating really has been the dukan diet and love eating lowcarb for all the extra benefits of being 'sugar-free' and not just weight loss (extra energy, no real hunger, better sleep, more patience with the kids!)

However, we moved to Saudi Arabia in April 2013 and the food here is very different!! When in the UK and following dukan, I pretty much lived on Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, prawns, chicken and celery. Well, the last pack of 'imported' celery I bought cost me £5!!! and you can't even get greek yog, cottage cheese and the prawns are also MEGA expensive.....

So,.... i've been trying to eat low carb where I can, lots of tinned tuna, chicken, eggs, topside of beef I have minced with no fat.........eaten with salad, veggies and vinigar-ed down mayo.....

Sadly, it seems my body is saying 'No' to my daily regime once again to lose the 2 stone I gained while back home in the UK for the summer :doh: its as if it saying 'NOT AGAIN!!'

This is now why I'm back at IF but this time, doing it a lowcarb way too.... *fingers crossed*

Rawkaren, I love your pancakes you made, i've not had them savoury this way, only sweet. I have used blitzed up porridge oats instead of the chickpea flour with eggs and actually, a mashed banana, huge pinch of cinammon.... they are delish and even my kids love them this way..... I will try chickpea flour as that is something you can get loads of here!! I'm also a lover of protein powder and the whole family have a protein shake for brreakfast :geek:

Ok,... I'm going now - we are 2 hours ahead here than the UK - end of my first fast day and I'm looking forward to my bed!

night,

JBx
30 Sep 2014, 11:28
You are most welcome to join in here!!! I am also in a situation with limited food options, although I do have access to greek yoghurt thank goodness, and understand the frustration of having limited food options. I believe @Janeg is also living in the sand pit and may have some pointers for you.
Hopefully there are some food ideas that you can use too. Debs x
30 Sep 2014, 15:26
I don't usually need to eat breakfast but this morning I was so hungry. My noisy stomach screamed for sausage and an egg. Added a little sugar free maple syrup too. Now I'm stuffed!

rawkaren... the pancakes with coconut and apple sound wonderful. I don't know if I could stop at one serving!
30 Sep 2014, 17:44
Hi, thanks for the welcome Debs.

I've had a nice food day, all low carb then I read a post about someone who was going to have a last indulge on forbidden food before the Xmas weigh-in tomorrow and it pushed my button for carbs! LOL So, I've just eaten a few things that I wanted and that I wouldn't usually eat and get on the scales tomorrow for my October-Dec xmas weight loss challenge!!

One thing I've been thinking about I'd like to run past you....... when I eat low-carb I also follow the 'rule' to 'eat every 2 or 3 hours'. This is thought to help keep the metabolism firing, blah blah blah.... BUT now, with fasting, we know how beneficial it can be to actually have long periods of 'no eating'....

So,.... shall I eat protein every 2 hours on a food day OR should I just have my 3, high protein, low carb meals a day?? Also, should I count my calories on food days, cos to be honest I can't be bothered with this!!! I'm tired of 'counting food' I just want to eat and feel FREE, within my choices to eat low carb...

I'm also planning on having a 'cheat meal' on a Thursday evening which means I'll be having something that I fancy that will probably be served with mashed potato or chips!! I think this is ok as it keeps the metabolism 'guessing' and this day will be followed by a fast on Friday (the weekend is Fri/Sat here)

Ah well.... time for some catch up TV - Strictly Come Dancing has started again in the UK and I love it!!

Night,

JB x

Xmas challenge #48
30 Sep 2014, 18:00
I might just try that pancake recipe @rawkaren
@juliebulie10 nice to see a newbie. With regards to eating times, maybe you could just eat when hungry? Big gaps between meals are much better (in my experience) plus what happens if you're nit hungry when that alarm says "eat" :dazed:

@carorees, could you please comment here about this.
30 Sep 2014, 18:10
Thanks Caroline, I think that is great advice to just follow my own hunger rather than 'timings'! :)

How are you getting on with your fitbit? I am considering buying one.... just to be noesy! :)

JB x
Previous 1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83 ... 96 Next
1436 posts Page 80 of 96