The FastDay Forum

Fastonbury Glamping Grounds

1436 posts Page 82 of 96
Previous 1 ... 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85 ... 96 Next
Re: 2014 Low Carbers Tent
07 Oct 2014, 01:20
Hi @Lizbean and @piper. :clover:
Yes I do make chicken bone broth about once a month and freeze in 1 cup containers. It really hits the spot for me in the afternoon of a fast day and its supposed to be good for you ( Google ' wellness mama bone broth,' ) to see all the benefits. This is how I make it.
I buy 5 chicken bones ( also called carcuss or frames). I put on a flat tray and bake in a moderate oven till it is golden and smells yummy. Then I put them in a big stock pot with cut off of carrots, onions, celery with leaves and parsley,pepper and generous salt and anough water to cover. Bring to boil then simmer with lid on for at least 2 hours. Strain , cool and pop in fridge. If it turns to jelly tomorrow and it wobbles then I'm one happy bunny. I call it " gelatinous goodness". If its not jelly it still tastes good. Its probably may need more bones to water ratio. Of course you can cook this without baking the bones first but I prefer it because it tastes like roast chicken in a cup!
Xxx julianna
09 Oct 2014, 15:20
I'm wondering how many carbs you low carbers do in a day. Just how low is low? I had a great feed day yesterday and my carbs ended up at 90 g and that is without subtracting out fiber since my tracker app doesn't give me the option of doing that. Along with that I had 80 g of protein and about 110 of fat, came in overall pretty close to my TDEE. Had 3 lishus meals and a snack and felt very satisfied, probably because of the high fat content (used butter on my zoodles! yum!)

Today is a fast day and I have settled on 5:2 rather than 4:3, which I tried but found myself feeling kind of deprived of good food, so I will settle for a little slower but more manageable 5:2.

Dee
09 Oct 2014, 19:43
Hi @drDee, I believe 50-100 grams of carbs is the "sweet spot" for weight loss according to 'Marks daily apple' ( a gold mine of info) but for you can go lower if you like but below 150 grams is recommended. So you're doing great!
09 Oct 2014, 19:49
Yes, you beat me to it Julianna. I try to keep at 50gm, but like today I hit 70. Was fat burning the last two days on approx 60gm.
It's easier the longer you do it, and the lovely good fats which you have instead really fill you up,
10 Oct 2014, 00:23
Hi all,
Still lurking in here!! I have been eating mostly fats the last few days which has been an interesting experiment in itself! Only 10% or less of my diet has been carbs, and NO added sugar! No sweetened chocolate either. My big problem will be next week when I go to Tas for a few days which may involve carb overload which I know always makes a negative dent, and takes days to take off again. Do I indulge, knowing that everytime I do it is two steps forward and one step back??? Or do I go for short term abstemious pain long term gain? Or loss in this case??!
10 Oct 2014, 01:16
julianna wrote: Hi @Lizbean and @piper. :clover:
Yes I do make chicken bone broth about once a month and freeze in 1 cup containers. It really hits the spot for me in the afternoon of a fast day and its supposed to be good for you ( Google ' wellness mama bone broth,' ) to see all the benefits. This is how I make it.
I buy 5 chicken bones ( also called carcuss or frames). I put on a flat tray and bake in a moderate oven till it is golden and smells yummy. Then I put them in a big stock pot with cut off of carrots, onions, celery with leaves and parsley,pepper and generous salt and anough water to cover. Bring to boil then simmer with lid on for at least 2 hours. Strain , cool and pop in fridge. If it turns to jelly tomorrow and it wobbles then I'm one happy bunny. I call it " gelatinous goodness". If its not jelly it still tastes good. Its probably may need more bones to water ratio. Of course you can cook this without baking the bones first but I prefer it because it tastes like roast chicken in a cup!
Xxx julianna

That sounds yummy! I look for the "jelliness" also@julianna.
10 Oct 2014, 12:05
I would keep off the carbs, I'm fed up with one step forwards and two steps back myself.
Indulge in lots of nice meat, fish and veg that you can't get in camp maybe.
10 Oct 2014, 15:02
Have a lovely break Debs, eat well and mindfully of low carb medium protein high fat, you're pretty much in the groove of it anyway. If anything stunningly delicious comes comes your way enjoy it slowly, tasting every melting bite, but keep it to one gorgeousness a day!
Have fun honey :0)
11 Oct 2014, 07:56
I am still lurking here too. I am struggling, to be honest. I started off with 4 days on about 50g carbs. It might have been too much to start with. By day 4 my mood was very ratty and down. I actually woke in the middle of the night and was crying. Really wierd! I felt much better once I ate more carbs the next day.

That was a few weeks ago. Since then, I've been trying to stick to around 100g carbs. I manage a day or two, then I go on an all out binge. It seems like once I start eating fats I cant stop! Generally, I aim for paleo, eat clean and wholesome foods. But I am still breaking into junk food far too often. Although I have reached goal now, I have to still 5:2 just to off set my binges. How do I stop this cycle?
11 Oct 2014, 08:10
@schubachick, was thinking about your problem. And my thoughts are this.
You've reached goal and now you need to re establish good long term lasting food choices. But deprivation is not what fasting is about, if you like something build it into your life and enjoy it for what it is, maybe pop into the maintainers tent and see how they cope, but no one wants you to wake up crying for goodness sake.
How are your hormones, are you still a carb monster Pre menstrauation, that used to get me every time. :cry: You need to find your bodies "sweet point" where you maintain but can have the things you like. @carorees, to name but a few seem to have this all sorted. It's the next step in your journey I believe.
Good luck.
11 Oct 2014, 08:41
Hi @scubachick, when you say you can't stop eating fats, do you mean high carb+ high fat foods (e.g. cake, biscuits), or just high fat (nuts, lumps of cheese)? Usually eating high fat, low carb is satiating. If you try to low carb without eating fats you will struggle.
11 Oct 2014, 11:19
Hi @Debs I had a look at your tracker and you are making progress :like: so I can understand your question .......... I agree with @carieoates continue on your current path and enjoy lots of fresh foods that you consider a special treat, that you don't get at camp, now what would they be? :?: Perhaps see this trip home as an experiment to see if you can maintain your recent progress that seems to be working for you.
11 Oct 2014, 13:47
Ok...thank you Scubachick for posting your issue. That is a fear of mine...when I get to goal I will end up gaining it all back. Sometimes I wonder if our body is TRYING to regain the weight like a set point. I've been heavy most of my life and REALLY don't want this hard work to be lost. Curious to see Carorees response.
11 Oct 2014, 16:08
@scubachick. If you enjoy paleo and you are now maintaining, I suggest you increase the amount of veggies (esp tubers) you are eating. And once or twice a week go all out for a carb re-feed, but sticking to paleo friendly foods like sweet potatoes - eat a big plate of it. Knowing that you can do this once or twice a week is useful and is something for you to look forward to. If you like cooking, there are alot of paleo sweet treats on the web like brownies and stuff which don't go overboard on carb count.
11 Oct 2014, 22:37
Hi @scubachick, everyone's got good advice for you. I'm wondering if you had ' low carb flu'? Have you heard of that? People feel yucky for a week or so when low carbing while there body changes over from being a sugar burner to a fat burner ( I think) google it as we'll as ' carbohydrate curve' on 'marks daily apple' to learn more. I also agree that you have to find your own carb amount that suits you ( maybe up to 150 grams) seeing you are at a healthy weight. I think they say you can have more carbs if you'll burn them up ( exercise) its confusing isn't it. I also eat in a paleo like way 80% of the time. Now they're thinking rice and potatoes in small amounts are ok ( especially if cooked then cooled as they turn into resistant starch which feed your gut bacteria in a good way) A bit of experimentation is needs to find your sweet spot I think hon.
Xxx julianna
Previous 1 ... 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85 ... 96 Next
1436 posts Page 82 of 96