The FastDay Forum

Forum & Progress Tracker Help

244 posts Page 2 of 17
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17 Next
Re: Forum Fixes
23 May 2014, 16:45
Thanks for these comments. I've worked out what's up with the avatars and tracker links and have passed that on to @fast_paul to help with as at the moment I haven't got access to the files, my login on the new server needs sorting out.

Regarding the tracker, rounding has always been a bit of an issue as it stores the data in metric format for ease of calculations, but then converts back to imperial if that's what you've set as your preference. This does mean it can be a little out. I had begun work on a new version of the tracker just before my house move, but of course with hospital and now my recovery I haven't had time to continue work on it. It's something I'd like to work on when I'm doing a bit better but it's possible the team may be able to revamp the tracker without me.

I think when the team ported the tracker over they thought it lacked clarity and wanted to display it in a more 'at a glance' style. The wording has changed a little today to be a bit nicer but at the moment the priority is in fixing bugs rather than the niceties - but we'll look at this later and will bear all feedback in mind.

So, what's been achieved today?
Well, @fast_jason should be along at some point with an update, but to summarise, we've solved some key issues today around the logins/password resetting, fixed the cookies bar which was a nuisance and scrapped the Facebook like box which was annoying people. The site has also had a quick fix to work better on mobile devices, but this should be further improved in the coming week(ish).
Oh, and we've reduced the amount of yellow used at the forum, hope you like it :)
23 May 2014, 17:12
The biggest problem with the tracker is very much a bug - it doesn't know that I've reached goal (says I have .361 lbs to go!) and in fact, doesn't seem to even have a place to declare that someone has reached goal. I did let @fast_paul know by email, so hopefully that's being addressed.
23 May 2014, 17:27
Hello everyone.

Thanks for bearing with us while we sort out the forum bugs, and thanks for posting the issues you've found and to those who emailed us. It really helps us to find out what the problems are when you send us this info.

Today we've fixed quite a few things.
Here's a quick run-down.

Reset your password
We found out from a few of you who emailed us that there were some links to our old servers sitting out there on Google, so when you reset your password, you couldn't log in. We've removed them now and have got people going to the right place.

Resetting you password on your mobile
We've noticed a few people are struggling to reset password on mobiles. However, we forgot to say in the pop-up that you only need to reset your password once. So if you've done it on your computer or tablet, then you don't need to do it again on your mobile. We've changed the words now and also included a link so you can tell us you've already done this and you won't see the pop-up again.

Cookies & pop-ups
We noticed that cookies were not working properly so you kept seeing the pop-ups each time you came back to the site, we've now fixed this and you should only see them once on each device you use.

Facebook likes
We've removed the Facebook likes pop-up as lots of people found it irritating, sorry about that. We wanted you to like us on Facebook as it helps us tell more people about fasting. You can still do this using the link at the bottom of the screen, plus you can share individual pages using the links provided. If you do find something helpful, then please do share it as it really helps spread the word.

Mobile view
We've had quite a few problems with viewing the site on a mobile phone. We wanted to make the forum 'responsive' which means easier to read on a smaller screen without having to keep zooming and scrolling, but it's been a bit tricky getting this right. We've put a fix in this afternoon which means you should now be able to see all of the posts and the yellow menu shouldn't take up lots of the screen. There's still quite a bit of work for us to do before we get this looking great, so please do bear with us.

Too much yellow
We've removed some of the yellow, which was a little bit too much for some. We've changed the headers in the forum to be easier on the eye and @Moogie is going to be trying out some new colours for buttons and icons next week.

Tracker
We've fixed the typo (oops!) and the width of the column, so this should be easier to read now.
We know there are a few more problems with the tracker and they're on our list for next week.

That's all to report for now.
Thanks once again for all your patience and support, while we sort out these teething problems.
23 May 2014, 17:34
Thanks so much. I can see the difference in the mobile view, and its much easier to see posts, and move between threads.

I think the mobile view needs to drop visibility of the avators and signatures, as it did before, which means the post itself can fill the small screen and be legible
23 May 2014, 17:39
Thanks so much for that update @fast_jason I for one wouldn't want your job! and please can I have my pics back?
Keep up the good work. We appreciate it,

I do miss the most active, and view your posts option, as it can take a while to trawl through the forums to find one I'm very interested/active in.

it seems that I can see them, they'll be at he bottom of the screen on mobile devices. thanks caro
23 May 2014, 17:52
Oh wow! Someone's been busy! :grin: This is so much better already. Thank you. I still can't view progress charts (I get a page missing message) and my avatar has vanished. I am using an iPad via Safari.
Thanks again for working so hard to make these changes and looking forward to the next lot of updates. I remember @moogie, when you used to ask for our input when you made any changes. I am so pleased that you are still listening and want us to be happy. It can't be easy for you whilst you are poorly, so thank you :like:
23 May 2014, 18:18
Just a quick update from me.

On my laptop and samsung tablet I can log in without having to reset my password. However when I log in my user name automatically shows in the box which requires my email address. It would also be nice not to have to log in all the time as per the old forum.

On my samsung galaxy s2 phone using the default browser I'm not getting anything other than the front page. There is no log in and when I press the menu button it doesn't do anything, pressing the logo refreshes the page.

Well done guys the little tweaks you have done make a big difference.
23 May 2014, 18:37
Cannot see where to get to my blog. I have to click on the link under my avatar to get to it.
23 May 2014, 18:44
If you're on a mobile device @Bobshouse you'll find the forum menu art the bottom of the page (for now anyway) on a larger screen they'll be on the left.
23 May 2014, 19:46
Much better, but the yellow banner never scrolls up. However, a huge improvement, thank you
23 May 2014, 20:21
Thank you, you have fixed my gripes about scrolling, resizing and reading posts on my tablets. Now I can easily do what I used to, I can start exploring the new features.
23 May 2014, 22:04
Everything is now perfect, I can log in very easily into my PC, android tablet and my iphone, however with the iphone I only see half the screen! I didn't have this problem before the change. Does anyone else have this?

Thanks for all your hard work Moogie, much appreciated.

cheers Maggie :smile:
23 May 2014, 22:29
I'm having trouble when I click on the links on the yellow bar, I don't get the right one. Sometimes I get to the right links when I click on them, sometimes something else. I might click on food and get buzz instead, or click on buzz and get buzz again with all of the links.

Edit:
The problem was me! :frown:

I've just found that I should click on the links on the black bar after I've clicked on the yellow bar. I put it down to tiredness, I didn't sleep well last night and here I am sitting at my computer at a quarter to midnight instead of being tucked up in bed.
:confused: :dazed: :bugeyes:
24 May 2014, 04:17
@Moogie Just want to say in the midst of all this ongoing construction; thank you for correcting the "weight to lose" on the progress tracker ( previously had weight to "loose") .My nit picker self is now happier. Thank you for your attention to all the glitches , this place truly ROCKS. You have addressed a ton of problems/concerns; big and small, so quickly. This site remains one of the most special places on the entire WWW. It is both so well designed and so responsive . I have to keep coming back cause I need you. :clover: :heart: :clover: :heart:
24 May 2014, 06:36
Merlin wrote: On the ipad the side menu is now at the bottom of the page under the side ad and the top bar has a drop down menu.

Yeah, I love that look on my ipad, REALLY CLEAN :like:
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17 Next
244 posts Page 2 of 17