The FastDay Forum

Forum & Progress Tracker Help

158 posts Page 10 of 11
Previous 1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 Next
Thank you, Moogie! (There is a blank line in the drop-down box between 'Over 1 year' and 'More than 1 month', not sure if you intended that?)

For those of us who are interested in the stats, I had a look at median average weekly weight loss figures for those on 5:2 for >1 month and >3 months, for different starting BMI. The data is similar to (but in all cases a bit lower than) the normal chart:

1. those starting with healthy BMI lose 0.4 lbs (0.2 kg) per week,
  2. those starting with overweight BMI lose 0.9 lbs (0.4 kg),
  3. those starting with obese BMI lose 1.4 lbs (0.6 kg), and
  4. there isn't really enough data for morbidly obese but the figure for what it's worth is the same as for obese (1.4 lbs / 0.6 kg).
I think these figures give a good guide for what sort of weight loss we might each expect to achieve following 5:2 in the medium term. This is a bit lower than the normal chart would suggest because the normal chart results are skewed by a lot of newbie data - and 5:2, like all diets, tends to show greater losses in the first couple of weeks.
Hi. I've input my weight loss as requested on the fb group. Hopefully more people will join and input their results and that will make the data more meaningful. I've been doing 5:2 since 24 September and apart from a few blips, including Christmas, I've been doing very nicely. I ♥ 5:2! :D
Oooh, thanks Suzanne. The more data the better! It is so useful for people just starting to see how others have done.

While you're here, though, have a look around! ;-)
Thanks Suzanne :) The more data the better!

Dom - yes, I meant there to be a blank line to sort of differentiate between the first set of options & the second (although I guess the Over 1 year sort of goes with either). Can adjust this if it's annoying, but only cosmetic.

Will be away for most of the rest of today, dear old cat is pooly and needs to go back to the vet :( then got company tonight so need to sort the house out a bit!

And I'm not amazing, I'm just a little Moog :)
Interesting stats dominic. It would be interesting to know whether someone who starts in the obese bracket and loses around 0.6 kg a week will slow to a loss of 0.4 kg a week once they enter the merely overweight bracket or slows more/less. I wonder if the data can reveal that with the appropriate manipulation?

Also, I would love to see a graph of weight lost per week of being on the diet, which I'm sure could be obtained from the data with the right coding. Again, a line for each category of starting BMI would be fascinating in such a graph.

Things to look forward to, eh?
I've been sort of planning that out in my head a bit recently but haven't had the solid chunk of time to do it yet. Well, I've probably had the time but not the inclination this week ;)

The code is already part way there in terms of the way the data is now handled for calculating the medians.

When I get around to doing it, I'll probably just have it cover the first 8 or 12 weeks if that's enough.
3 months would be a great start, then when we have enough people who have been following the WOL for longer perhaps you would be able to extend the graphs? At the moment there are so few data for over 3 months there's no need. In 6 month's time we should have a big cohort of people who have been going for a good while and the data will be really interesting.
I would love to see a graph of weight lost per week of being on the diet... a line for each category of starting BMI would be fascinating...

I agree Caroline. If with each datapoint in the median source dataset we store the day of the diet (i.e. store value '1' in the 2nd dimension of the array alongside the weight loss value for a given member for the first day of that member's diet, value '2' for the second day etc), then the entire dataset can be filtered for days 1-7, day 8-15 etc, and medians (and frequency distributions if really wanted) be calculated for the filtered datasets. And the other filters (including BMI) could also be applied.

It would be interesting to know whether someone who starts in the obese bracket and loses around 0.6 kg a week will slow to a loss of 0.4 kg a week once they enter the merely overweight bracket or slows more/less. I wonder if the data can reveal that with the appropriate manipulation?

It could be handled the same way by attaching a 3rd value (i.e. array dimension) to each datapoint which is the current BMI of the member at that point in the diet i.e. at day 14 or whatever. This has advantages in the long run because eventually - hopefully - we might have lots of members who started in say the 'obese' BMI category but are now in the 'healthy' category, and while this would be very impressive in itself, their ongoing stats would at present still be included in the 'starting obese' category and would skew those results. On the other hand I accept there is a risk of over-complicating things (most people probably feel that the stats here are alarmingly complicated already!)

This is a lot to ask of any normal human being, especially from one who has already given us the best set of tracking data for 5:2 anywhere on the internet. (ok, perhaps the only set...) But from a goddess anything is possible! ;)
This is a lot to ask of any normal human being, especially from one who has already given us the best set of tracking data for 5:2 anywhere on the internet. (ok, perhaps the only set...)

At some time in the future when there is another set of tracking data, Moogie's will certainly be the best!

But from a goddess anything is possible!

See how we gasp in awe at her amazing feats of coding...
LOL
Can I say - you are all talking 'gobildey-gook' - but I love it!! lol

jb x
Can I say - you are all talking 'gobildey-gook' - but I love it!! lol

We aim to please! :)

Moogie, thanks for the decimal places update to the Tracker! For anyone who missed it, Moogie has now enabled us dyed-in-the-wool imperial types to enter pounds with decimals. So we don't have to lose a whole lb to maintain our progress on the chart.
Yes, I've revised my data accordingly! I got myself a decent set of scales which are sensitive to 1/8th of a pound so I can now input my data more accurately. I am typically a very slow loser so even if the scales register just 1/4 or 1/2 lb lower v. previous week I can see them moving in the right direction and it gives me a psychological boost to keep going.

Lovin' the stats!
I would really like to track my progress but do not want to weigh myself as have explained else where. However, the tracker won't allow me to just input measurements without weight. Could this be an option in the future?
I think that is an excellent idea and I'm sure Moogie will be able to make that change fairly easily.
I put my wrong waist measurement in today, but when I tried to correct it in edit, it said I couldn't as I had already put my weight in once today. Also, I don't have any red lines showing for my goals. Am I putting my info in incorrectly?
Previous 1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 Next
158 posts Page 10 of 11