The FastDay Forum

Fasting with Medical Conditions

899 posts Page 4 of 60
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 60 Next
Re: fasting and CFS
16 Nov 2013, 21:41
No, thank YOU MountainMyst! I'm so glad you are noticing some relief and pray for continued improvement and a return to better health for you all. Will keep checking back on this thread to see how you are all doing.x
16 Nov 2013, 21:46
thanks callyanna, looking forward to seeing where this way of eating takes us all. take care,Phyllis
16 Nov 2013, 22:08
izzy wrote: For those of you who may not be familiar with The Spoon Theory, it is definitely worth reading. It was written by a girl with Lupus, but has been "adopted" by many people with chronic illness, as a means to try and explain how difficult it can be when we are ill, but "look fine". It focuses on the overwhelming fatigue that can be a part of some illnesses, not just tiredness, but that awful, if I don't lie down NOW, I will fall down, tiredness. Do read it, if you haven't already.

My OH always refers to my bad days now in terms of spoons :wink: Hope this helps. :heart:

http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/wpres ... on-theory/

Thanks for posting that link [color=#0040BF]@izzy . That's a very moving and powerful explanation. May you all be blessed with canteens worth of spoons!
17 Nov 2013, 07:28
I am feeling a bit better now, and hopefully I`ll be in a fit state to drive back to Portsmouth today. Have been house hunting with him since I last posted and yesterday he made an offer on a great house, so hopefully that will go through without any hitches. It will be nice when he`s in his own place and we won`t have to deal with estate agents for a while! Good news is that my nephew is over for a short visit from Hawaii, where his dad is an astronomer. Haven`t seen him for ages so we`ll have a lot of catching up to do.
17 Nov 2013, 07:30
I am feeling a bit better now, and hopefully I`ll be in a fit state to drive back to Portsmouth today. Have been house hunting with him since I last posted and yesterday he made an offer on a great house, so hopefully that will go through without any hitches. It will be nice when he`s in his own place and we won`t have to deal with estate agents for a while! Good news is that my nephew is over for a short visit from Hawaii, where his dad is an astronomer. Haven`t seen him for ages so we`ll have a lot of catching up to do.computer complaing about this post again, what is its problem?
17 Nov 2013, 07:49
I am really confused, the brainfog is kicking in (a ME symptom). Why does computer say no, then when I add that to my post, it decides to publish both posts? Maybe it thinks the post isn`t relevant, then changes it`s mind? I`ve tried looking elsewhere on the forum for this info but can`t find it. Mayme that`s also down to the brainfog? Any easy answers please?
17 Nov 2013, 09:00
There is evidence that CFS is associated with faulty mitochondrial function. Fasting appears to promote healthy mitochondria though autophagy. Hopefully, you will find improvements in your CFS as you continue fasting. It is interesting that exercise helped CandiceMarie, as high intensity interval training (HIIT) also encourages healthy mitochondria.

I can dig out the references to the studies if anyone wants.

I have mild fibromyalgia and I think fasting has helped (though it's hard to know whether it's that or just the weightloss).
17 Nov 2013, 10:03
@Callyanna...what a lovely, caring person you are. Thank you SO much for your kind words. :heart:
17 Nov 2013, 10:07
@izzy...thank you for that spoon story. Wish I could explain my CFS to my "friend" in such a great way. In fact my friend recently asked me if I wanted to go and see Peter Gabriel (my favourite) at the O2. When I said I wouldn't be able to make it because the journey alone would be too much she was surprised and said"Oh, I thought you were better now". A couple of weeks later she phoned to tell me how great PG was and how much her and her husband enjoyed the concert :-(
17 Nov 2013, 17:43
No you're very right @Izzy, I know it must be difficult for people to understand an illness like this and I'm probably being a bit harsh about my friend. It would just be nice to have a friend who pops around for tea and a chat...you know what I mean?

Do you ever get days when you wake up and plan your day thinking you are normal and then find yourself let down again when you can barely finish the first activity of the day? I keep doing that. I must stop!

Anyway, I send my hugs to you all x x
17 Nov 2013, 18:54
Hi all, thanks Izzy for posting the spoon theory. it's a great way to explain the bone aching weakness and fatigue of this illness, and many other invisible illnesses.

Callyanna, Carorees, thank you both for joining us. those of us that deal with this illness, aren't used to people taking time to learn about it from people who actually experience it. Carorees, thanks for mentioning the mito research, would love for you to post the information if you could. I'm sorry that you are dealing with fibromyalgia too.

chingola, glad you found a great house, hope the closing goes well and you are safely home. glad you got to visit with your nephew too. now rest up and recoup from all your spending of your precious spoons.

nursebean, you certainly are not the only one who makes plans then can't do them. my brain still thinks I can do lots of things that my body just wont do. ;) Izzy is right about the grieving process you go though with this illness. I cycle through quite often. I think I'm accepting things pretty well, then my daughter has a really bad episode and I get angry all over again. it would be lovely to have a friend over for tea and a chat. unfortunately my house is usually not up to visitors.:)

sending everyone wishes for a wonderful day Phyllis
17 Nov 2013, 20:51
Feast/famine and mitochondrial health: the-5-2-lab-f10/topic5945.html

Exercise and mitochondrial diseases: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/24108983

High intensity exercise and increase in mitochondrial function: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/23788574
17 Nov 2013, 22:15
Thanks Caroline! looks interesting. wishing you a great evening. Phyllis
17 Nov 2013, 22:23
Hiya just popping in to register for monday fast...thanks Caro for the links
Spk soon,everyone,have a happy healthy great week and keep fasting repairing and healing! X
19 Nov 2013, 15:26
Hi, just wanted to stop by. In the midst of a major migraine flair, hope to be back tomorrow. wishing everyone a good day. Phyllis
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 60 Next
899 posts Page 4 of 60