The FastDay Forum

Forum News & Announcements

111 posts Page 4 of 8
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
barbarita wrote: Well it looks completely different now but I still want to be able to pinch to reduce or increase the font size, I do not like having one imposed on me. Also when I type in the reply box as here the text is in double spacing uggghh!

I guess teh font on desktop will be settled at some point but I would agree with you barbarita that not allowing pinch zoom on a mobile is a big no no. its about 1 line of code to allow it and it has no drawback and allows people like me even with my huge Note 2 to see the words particularly very late at night. Ive only come across a few sites that dont allow pinch zoom (youtube is one) but most news sites and i think wiki now has pinch zoom. sometimes i zoom to 3 or 4 words a line but thats ok.

i cant use youtube on a mobile without it.
With facebook they dont pinch zoom on mobile version which i hate so i do the trick of using desktop with
https://facebook.com/home.php found that trick on a site some time ago and no w only use that
hope the team isnt upset by the feedback.. we all just want it to be perfect as we or I live here for many hours.

one tiny thing... can we have Edit button ALSO at top of post. my Christmas challenge one goes for miles and now i have to scroll carefully to edit that post down to exact point on page. i have to edit it at least 10 times a day hence the ask
Moogie wrote: What sort of tablet is it & what screen size my dear? Are you looking in landscape or portrait?

As for the font size, I'm browsing at 1920x1080 and the size seems fine, see attached.

ss-forum-fontsize.jpg

Looking at attachment @Moogie you are looking at the forum menu on left and list of topics.. that font is ok, its the body of the posts thats a lot smaller and difficult to read
The forum has gone all wonky on both my mobile and desktop (see below). I can't really read the forum now, so apologies if I'm repeating what others have said. I'm on an iMac and iPhone, if that helps at all...
forum.jpg
forum2.jpg
forum2.jpg (32.57 KiB) Viewed 481 times
For the mobile version, I can't move the view to see what is to the right. I can't expand or shrink it. I also lose the ability to close that site and open others (usually by means of a menu bar that appears at the bottom, which no longer appears if I have the forum open). On the desktop, it looks even worse than the image above if the poster has a signature:
forum3.jpg
forum3.jpg (30.72 KiB) Viewed 481 times
@carorees I have tried alternating between the two views, and the change in the Silk browser setting you suggested, and shut down and restarted my Kindle and it has made no difference whatsoever. Everything is the mobile view. I have no idea how to do a screenshot on a Kindle, or I would send your tech team one. May I enquire which make of tablets they did testing on?
Everyone who is getting problems with text being over written like in the above screenshot, you need to clear your browser cache. Your browser remembers what web pages look like and loads the fixed elements from a cache of remembered pages. Now we've changed the structure of the pages the old remembered bits are getting jumbled up with the new bits. Clearing your browser's cache will solve the problem. You'll need to look in your browser's settings. This might be in the main settings (on an iPad, iPhone or kindle) or in the browser menu (for android or on a computer).

If you're still having problems after clearing the cache, please post a screenshot with details of your device and browser here or email to forum@fastday.com

Thanks!
carorees wrote: Everyone who is getting problems with text being over written like in the above screenshot, you need to clear your browser cache. Your browser remembers what web pages look like and loads the fixed elements from a cache of remembered pages. Now we've changed the structure of the pages the old remembered bits are getting jumbled up with the new bits. Clearing your browser's cache will solve the problem. You'll need to look in your browser's settings. This might be in the main settings (on an iPad, iPhone or kindle) or in the browser menu (for android or on a computer).

If you're still having problems after clearing the cache, please post a screenshot with details of your device and browser here or email to forum@fastday.com

Thanks!

agreed cache can be a bummer.
is there a quick guide somewhere as to how to clear cache as i think many people wouldnt know where to go
barbarita wrote: @carorees I have tried alternating between the two views, and the change in the Silk browser setting you suggested, and shut down and restarted my Kindle and it has made no difference whatsoever. Everything is the mobile view. I have no idea how to do a screenshot on a Kindle, or I would send your tech team one. May I enquire which make of tablets they did testing on?

To screenshot on the kindle hold the power button and the volume down button simultaneously until you hear a camera shutter sound. You'll find the screen shot saved in photos.
And I tested the forum on my kindle fire so I can't understand why you're having problems. But we'll get to the bottom of it I'm sure.
I have cleared my cache and I still have the problem of getting the mobile view when supposedly on the responsive view. I am not on the latest model of the Kindle, it is at least 18 months old. It is old enough that I cannot do a screenshot by depressing the volume and power controls simultaneously, which means I would have to go through a complex rigmarole of downloading the android sdk to my PC and then connecting my Kindle via USB Really rather not go there. As my Kindle is of that generation it means the version of Android will be several versions behind the latest even in terms of the Kindle environment. I wonder if that might give the tech teams a clue as to what is going on? It's like somewhere the code is saying the OS is Android version whatever therefore impose the mobile view. Can you replicate the situation?
barbarita wrote: I have cleared my cache and I still have the problem of getting the mobile view when supposedly on the responsive view. I am not on the latest model of the Kindle, it is at least 18 months old. It is old enough that I cannot do a screenshot by depressing the volume and power controls simultaneously, which means I would have to go through a complex rigmarole of downloading the android sdk to my PC and then connecting my Kindle via USB Really rather not go there. As my Kindle is of that generation it means the version of Android will be several versions behind the latest even in terms of the Kindle environment. I wonder if that might give the tech teams a clue as to what is going on? It's like somewhere the code is saying the OS is Android version whatever therefore impose the mobile view. Can you replicate the situation?

Yes, that might be it. My kindle is 9 months old. My OS is 11.3.2.6
Let's see what @fast_Jason thinks.
Clearing your cache
Your browser has a folder in which certain items that have been downloaded are stored for future use. Graphic images (such as buttons and icons), photos, and even entire web pages are examples of items which are saved or cached. When visiting a webpage your browser checks if a copy of the files on the page is in its cache already. If so, it will save the visitor some downloading and make webpages load faster. However, because we have changed the forum design this causes problems for some users. You need to clear the cache and all will be well!

Here are some instructions for clearing the cache in different browsers http://www.refreshyourcache.com/en/home/
Not sure if I'm the only one but on my iPad the text is now covered by the signature information making it very difficult to read anything!
Isis wrote: Not sure if I'm the only one but on my iPad the text is now covered by the signature information making it very difficult to read anything!

@Isis please clear your cache. Instructions given in my post just before yours! That is why the signature is covering the text
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
111 posts Page 4 of 8