The FastDay Forum

Progress Diaries & Journals

Please just one thread per member here, which you can keep updated with your progress!
If you want to celebrate reaching a goal, or commiserate over a less productive week please use the 'Delighted or Disappointed?' forum instead.

117 posts Page 2 of 8
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8 Next
**hops on board** :-)

Does anyone else really dread their next weigh-in after a gain? I gained 1 lb last week, stayed the same this week and I'm already nervous about next week's weigh-in!!
Pip, didn't Caroline say that there wasn't much to gain from 4:3? I'm sure I read it somewhere. I've done 5:2 with the occasional 16/8. I did well on that. I'm pretty sure my current stall is down to thinking I could get away with eating rubbish. :frown:

I dread the scales Jenny. Can't understand why I feel the need to inflict the torture so often but I think I'd probably feel even worse if I'd waited ages to weigh in and then found they had gone up!
That's why I weigh weekly too Miffy! I used to weigh all the time when I was doing SW and MFP etc and I got myself out of the habit. Now, even though I dread it I feel I need to keep an eye on it because I can't leave it a whole month just in case I've gained!
miffy49 wrote: Pip, didn't Caroline say that there wasn't much to gain from 4:3? I'm sure I read it somewhere. I've done 5:2 with the occasional 16/8. I did well on that. I'm pretty sure my current stall is down to thinking I could get away with eating rubbish. :frown:

I dread the scales Jenny. Can't understand why I feel the need to inflict the torture so often but I think I'd probably feel even worse if I'd waited ages to weigh in and then found they had gone up!

It's true that the progress tracker shows no difference between 5:2 and 4:3 but that might be because more people like yourselves choose 4:3 (so if someone had no/little weight loss on 5:2 but 1 lb/week on 4:3, it would make 4:3 look like it gives the same average loss)! It is worth trying to see whether for you it makes a difference. Certainly on paper it should! If you tried it for a month and compared with 5:2, we would be able to say more definitely whether it helps...anyone want to experiment?
carorees wrote: because more people like yourselves choose 4:3 (so if someone had no/little weight loss on 5:2 but 1 lb/week on 4:3, it would make 4:3 look like it gives the same average loss)! It is worth trying to see whether for you it makes a difference. Certainly on paper it should! If you tried it for a month and compared with 5:2, we would be able to say more definitely whether it helps...anyone want to experiment?

I might well give it a try in May if I start losing weight again :smile:
miffy49 wrote: Pip, didn't Caroline say that there wasn't much to gain from 4:3? I'm sure I read it somewhere.

If we look at it from a calorie-deficit view, I can't see how that would be the case?
The progress tracker doesn't "know" about thyroid issues, feed day calories, previous diet history etc, so the fact that it shows no difference between the two regimens only means that any difference is probably fairly small.
Don't think we'll gain any knowledge if we mix methods will we? I need to get back onto low carb for the sake of getting my BG back stable. In view of the effect it has on my toes I think it takes priority over my weight. Once I see what effect the low carb version has on my weight loss I will give 4:3 a shot and see if it does speed things up.
Morning All

Its a fast day for me today - at work armed with greek yoghurt and fresh raspberries (along with teaspoon of chia seeds) got all my pear and apple green teas at the ready. Going to see how long I can go before having my yogurt.
I have a huge vat of beef stew for tea later with loads of root veggies and some wholegrain pulses. The rest of the family will be enjoying cheesy dumplings with theirs.

I'm walking at lunch time at work and again this evening - planning on doing 30 mins lunch time and again tonight :)
I'm also taking the scenic route. First I think I was overcompensating on eating days, and had a severe chocolate craving. Seem to have that under control, but have issues with my colon, so oh dear, the scales are not my favourite. I am only going to weigh once a month now. I left Slimming World because I felt that I was being defined by a number, and not how my body felt, so I refuse to do that to myself at home.
Hope the fasting will increase my metabolic rate, because quitting smoking virtually killed my metabolism.
Keeping calm and carrying on. :bugeyes:
I am on the scenic route too! Lost 3.5 pounds the first two weeks, gained back .3 pounds from Easter excess and stayed the same the last week.

I am sure my problem is sweets and more specifically candy. I just love the stuff but know I shouldn't even start down that road. I did a month of Atkins in January to sugar detox and now that the candy holidays are done until October I am going to try to cut that food group out of my fast as well as my feast days and see if that helps.

Also finally started walking a lot after spraining both ankles 8 weeks ago slipping on ice.

So here's to spring hopefully it will put a spring in all our steps and our weight loss! :grin:
Welcome all new comers :)

Hows your week been? Good fasts/feed days?

I fasted Monday and struggled but then I always struggle on a Monday after the weekend as thats when my highest cal days are. I have my 2nd fast day 2moro. Feed days have been good so far today i've had 1600 (my tdee is 1950) I don't intend having anymore cals today - plus i've also burnt 193 cals today walking briskly for 40 mins.

I plan to have 500 2moro
Thursday - 1600
Friday 1200
Sat 2000
Sun 1600

This in effect should leave a defecit of 4650 or there abouts (plus i'm not eating back calories earned by exercise)

I do hope this helps shift some of my stubborn pounds of fat!
scenic route? slow lane? No, I am reversing back down the hard shoulder!! :curse: Must try to get a grip as when I get discouraged I find it hard to make good food choices. There goes a packet of crisps! I was weighing once a week but this week decided to weigh everyday but perhaps that has back fired.
I am trying to stay within TDEE of 1800 on 3 days and 2 days eat a bit less than that. I don't mind things moving slowly but it seems to be creeping back on. Any suggestions about how to stay on track would be most welcome! Have found this forum sooo helpful couldn't have got this far without it. :grin:
Can I join you? I was sent this way by an angel on another thread.

I'm new on the forum, and midway through the fourth week of 5:2. I have been unable to lose anything on a normal daily calorie restriction (and I am pretty strict about nutrition and snacks anyway) so I thought after several testimonials from people I met that I would give this a go.

Sadly, the weight is not exactly going anywhere yet! I have been really keen when following the plan, and couldn't lose the habit of knowing my TDEE and staying within that on my normal days. Working on a 36 hour fast day twice a week, I had hoped to be doing better than this.

After yesterday's fast, I was 1kg down this morning. I felt a bit better, but also know that this could go straight back on the minute I rehydrate... I really need some help. Has anyone else found that after a month it suddenly started to work?
Mrs H-R wrote: scenic route? slow lane? No, I am reversing back down the hard shoulder!! :curse: Must try to get a grip as when I get discouraged I find it hard to make good food choices. There goes a packet of crisps! I was weighing once a week but this week decided to weigh everyday but perhaps that has back fired.
I am trying to stay within TDEE of 1800 on 3 days and 2 days eat a bit less than that. I don't mind things moving slowly but it seems to be creeping back on. Any suggestions about how to stay on track would be most welcome! Have found this forum sooo helpful couldn't have got this far without it. :grin:

Hi There Mrs H love your opening line :)

My results aren't that great either stayed the same or gained in last few weeks up and down driving me crazy.

As far as weighing goes...i'm a serial weigher and like you tried weighing every day but if i didn't get the result i wanted like you i would comiserate with a biscuit or bag of crisps - stopped weighing daily 2 weeks ago now - I do find my best weigh in result is always 2 days after a fast so i stick to Saturday each week and avoid scales in between times.

I'm no expert but here are some tips i've been given and put into effect this last week.

Drinks lots of water.
Avoid too many refined carbs
Avoid too many foods with sugar
Make sure you have a defecit of at least 3500 per week on your weekly TDEE
Dont' snack in between meals.
Try to eat breakfast quite a bit later or even skip it some days.
Dont go over your 500 cals on fast days
Exercise more
Try to have some feed days with higher cals and some with lower cals - baring in mind your weekly figure.

Hope some of this helps :)
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8 Next
117 posts Page 2 of 8