The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

703 posts Page 37 of 47
Previous 1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 47 Next
Re: Anyone in the US?
05 Jan 2016, 17:00
Of course you're always welcome here @RawKaren!!! I've been cringing at the weather you've been having across the pond -- you don't get that nastiness often, do you? How lucky for you that it's all there as soon as you're back!
05 Jan 2016, 17:27
@rawkaren--my new avatar is my kitty, Ziggy, who is 16 years young! His vet calls him "the sweetest kitty in the world." Seattle has been cold and rainy too; our weather is pretty similar to the UK. Though we have had some dry and cold (30's F) weather too, with outlying low elevation snow; none where I live though (right on northern border of Seattle). Kinda ironic, since I'm working from home and could just work and laugh at the snow. Having lived in SF (I did too, for a year), you understand about HILLS; most of Seattle's aren't QUITE as steep, but given that we don't get snow very often, any significant snowfall is a pretty terrifying situation for driving (hardly any infrastructure, such as snowplows, for dealing with it). Glad you are keeping touch with your "adopted" country! :cool:
11 Jan 2016, 16:18
It was -24*F today.. great ice making weather. I had a great fast day on my 2nd day last week' so I'm hoping to have a repeat of that. I'm still (after over a year) trying to figure out my eating on non-fast days. My newest experiment is skipping lunch instead of breakfast but delaying breakfast till 10 or so. On a positive side, I was working on a project last night and I accidentally skipped supper. I really think for me, 5-2 is a long term solution. At this point I will be happy to loose a pound a year. Like have I have saying.. I'm just thankful that I haven't gained weight since I started. Just stopping the progress up has been a huge blessing for me and this is the easiest way of life eating I have ever found.
22 Jan 2016, 00:40
Hello fellow US fasters! want to bump this up so our new US members see this and join in...I have seen several new US members lately, come and visit!
22 Jan 2016, 06:32
Who here is affected by storm Jonas? Stay safe.
22 Jan 2016, 14:02
The storm is passing east and south of us, thanks @rawkaren. Hope people in its path are taking care. Brother-in-law near Philadelphia is planning to stay in all weekend. Daughter and SIL near Boston are hoping for enough snow for cross-country skiing, though.

OTOH our temps early this morning were -5F -- childs play for you @Canoegal :razz:
23 Jan 2016, 17:05
Marybeth wrote: The storm is passing east and south of us, thanks @rawkaren. Hope people in its path are taking care. Brother-in-law near Philadelphia is planning to stay in all weekend. Daughter and SIL near Boston are hoping for enough snow for cross-country skiing, though.

OTOH our temps early this morning were -5F -- childs play for you @Canoegal :razz:

I'm from Waterville, Ohio (Northwest Ohio, suburb of Toledo) The storm is missing us and very thankful for that! Sunny today which will melt off the little bit of snow that we have. I am new and have been on the 4:3 for about 3 weeks. I'm not setting the world on fire, but my weight loss is going in the right direction. I'm hoping that my body will kick in here pretty soon with a descent weight loss. I am losing about 1.3 pounds a week. I guess I just need to be patient, it all adds up. I did this when I was in my 20's to maintain my weight (which it did), I didn't know it had a name, LOL. Well, now I am 68 years young and it's not so easy any more. I have thyroid problems on top of it all. I am over how I look, but I sure would like to feel better! I walked 4 miles yesterday, but kind of paying for it today, :) We make Kettle Corn from Spring to Fall, and its a grueling job for an old lady, so I would just like to be in better shape. I am so glad I found this forum and I am learning a lot from you kids. I am going to hang in there with you if you don't mind. Stay safe in this awful storm.
24 Jan 2016, 18:08
Just a quick hello. I'm a snowbird currently in Sarasota, but from Massachusetts. So we definitely missed the storm, but very high winds yesterday.
My wife and I have been doing 5:2 for almost 3 years. Initially made weight goal in about 8 months and have been maintaining. Its easy to my one Fast Day now, but I have to be on guard for "making up" the calories the other six days. :cry:
25 Jan 2016, 13:39
Welcome, @schnoodles6640 and @GolfinGoldy from the other side of the 'pond'. I love this thread because it gives such an interesting glimpse of the life of those of you in the US.
Schnoodles could you tell me what 'Kettle Corn' is and how and why you make it? I am a similar age to you and have been doing 5:2 for three years, same as GolfinGoldy. My weight goes up and down a bit but I have been maintaining for about two years now, except recently I decided to try and lose another seven pounds. I managed it just before I went on a cruise in December, add in Christmas and the New year, and I find myself currently trying to lose those seven pounds (plus a couple more!) again! Never mind, I'm sure that it will go in time. I've got to stay focussed and just keep on keeping on!
Warm good wishes to you both! :smile:
25 Jan 2016, 16:03
StowgateResident wrote: Welcome, @schnoodles6640 and @GolfinGoldy from the other side of the 'pond'. I love this thread because it gives such an interesting glimpse of the life of those of you in the US.
Schnoodles could you tell me what 'Kettle Corn' is and how and why you make it? I am a similar age to you and have been doing 5:2 for three years, same as GolfinGoldy. My weight goes up and down a bit but I have been maintaining for about two years now, except recently I decided to try and lose another seven pounds. I managed it just before I went on a cruise in December, add in Christmas and the New year, and I find myself currently trying to lose those seven pounds (plus a couple more!) again! Never mind, I'm sure that it will go in time. I've got to stay focussed and just keep on keeping on!

Warm good wishes to you both! :smile:

Hi Stowgate Resident, my name is actually Mary Lou. We make and sell Kettle Corn at festivals, fairs and venues like that. We also do high school football games in the fall. It is a Sweet and Salty popcorn. You make it with corn oil, sugar, popcorn and salt. Thats all there is to it and it is a big hit here in the states. People love their Kettle Corn. Here is a youtube site that shows you how we do it in the big kettle. You can also make it at home in a smaller pan. You can probably find out how to do it on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns0l3XJ74Hk. Its a fun little business for us retired folks, LOL. I hope we keep in touch during this journey. So far its been pretty slow, but it has only been since January 7th and I probably have some tweaking to do. I am trying to be patient, after all, I didn't put all this weight on over night. The first two weeks on fasting days were kind of rough, but it is much easier now and I have stepped up my walking 100 percent. Its so nice to have a place to share information, especially from across the pond! :) Take care!
25 Jan 2016, 16:36
It's warming up to 30 this week! We have been ice skating on our pond for the last 2 weeks now. I'm on a fast day today and so far it is really easy. GolfinGoldy I have the same problem as you. Most fast days are easy but it's the non fast days that set me back. I have been doing 5-2 for a year and a half and the first 4 months I lost weight but then I have been maintaining. Not gaining is my victory at this point as I can't add in a 3rd fast day. I need to work more on my non-fast days.
25 Jan 2016, 18:35
Hello from Seattle! I feel a little churlish complaining about our rain, given that our temps are positively balmy compared to most of the US (40-50F). And I'm annoyed that it's SUNNY today, when we haven't gotten out for an outdoor skate in WEEKS because the weekends have all been wet... :frown: Not that I'd mind a little snow, we haven't gotten any in a few years. But there's a lot in the mountains (less than an hour's drive), good for the skiers (I'm not one); we had 2 crap ski seasons in a row, so they are happy now! Today is a light day; I can chime in on the difficulties controlling one's intake on normal days. Oh well; at least for me, this wouldn't be doable long-term if I had to watch every bite; that's why I'm not at my "ideal" weight in the first place; just can't do the everyday deprivation forever...
25 Jan 2016, 18:42
While on vacation, I spent a week in Seattle one afternoon...

Actually we'd driven the entire delightful coast from the bottom of Oregon to the top of Washington state without a drop of rain the entire time.

Until we were waiting for the plane in Seattle, that is.

A few minutes of drizzle, then it stopped.
25 Jan 2016, 19:05
I recently moved to Texas from Illinois. So I know how you feel, ferretgal, about complaining about rain when it's so cold and snowy elsewhere. But I endured cold and icy winters for a long time and I was so ready for a change! I didn't even un-box our winter coats! I really do try to contain my enthusiasm around my family who is still back home. And my sympathies go out to those who still endure. But I don't miss it one bit!
25 Jan 2016, 20:40
Hi!
The storm only gave us 8-9 inches of snow, but just a little further south they got 30 inches! 20 minutes to the north of us got nothing! My sister is dealing with 28 inches down near Philadelphia. Beautiful, sunny day today.....feels like Spring out there! I wish!
Previous 1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 47 Next
703 posts Page 37 of 47