The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

703 posts Page 39 of 47
Previous 1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 47 Next
Re: Anyone in the US?
01 Feb 2016, 19:08
sourbaby wrote: Hi all!

I'm so curious why I the 5:2 diet is so much more popular in the UK than in the US. Maybe because it's a diet that actually involves purchasing LESS food, and doesn't promote buying "fad" products that are expensive and benefit the diet industry? Hmm. Not sure. Anyway.

Looking for anyone in the US who is following this plan, I'm on PST (in Arizona), would be nice to say hello to you all!

Hi 'sourbaby'! I'm on the other side of the US, in Maine. Welcome!
I wonder if 5:2 is popular in UK because it was researched there and tried there first. Few around here have heard of it, so there are no local support groups. I'm still in month one, and love this forum. Encouragement in your fasting!
06 Feb 2016, 17:00
Dear All in the US, is Brad Pilon's "Eat Stop Eat" popular over there? I have read a lot on his website, seems very similar to 5:2, and I sometimes do it Brad's way when life gets in the way of my 5:2 plans. I have visited the US a few times since about 1980 and have always been stunned by the portion sizes over there....the last time I went I ordered what was mean to be a "lite bite" a pasta dish which arrived on what seemed to be a tea tray, covering the entire thing. It was absolutely delicious, and not wanting to be rude to the chef I ate the whole thing, watched by my incredulous husband, who reminds me of it periodically....he's a lifelong whippet, by the way, at 61 he is the same weight as when he was 18, and has a BMI of about 20, so he is always super-smug about weight. After the pasta incident I had to lie down for several hours while the rest of the party went on a turning leaf tour of New England
07 Feb 2016, 00:29
You should NEVER worry about offending the chef. You can always take it to go!!
07 Feb 2016, 11:58
You are so right cblasz, people are still a bit snobby about that in the UK, which is really silly. My mother, at 95, now goes everywhere with a box to take extra food home rather than struggle through it. She is still living independently and is the longest living person any of us know about in our extended family, I'm sure that being a lightweight has a lot to do with it.
09 Feb 2016, 18:35
JLmid wrote: Dear All in the US, is Brad Pilon's "Eat Stop Eat" popular over there?

He has a following, but it is not "mainstream" popular. As far as I am aware, fasting is not a mainstream answer for American dieters. I came to fasting originally through Paleo eating, which is gaining popularity, but still most people think it's pretty wacko. The same sorts who look into Paleo also look into fasting.
Michael Mosley's documentary was shown on public TV (at least here in Seattle) and it could definitely use more exposure. Jamie Oliver really brought to light the problem with our school lunch program, and some schools ARE making changes, but he had a weekly platform, on network (or maybe it was cable) TV in the form of a weekly reality series. Maybe if MM got a weekly series...(insert me looking wistful)... Nobody needs it more than overweight US eaters, and that's about the only way to reach us! :usa: God Bless America! No sarcasm, I bleed Red White and Blue!
11 Feb 2016, 01:31
Virginia Here
16 Feb 2016, 19:20
ravingkiko wrote: I've set an interim goal for myself. I almost bought a salad shooter on amazon, but said, hey keep with this (fasting, reading, posting, tracking) and reward yourself with it. So a 10 pound loss or 1 month participation (whichever comes first) and a useful, but unnecessary, kitchen gadget is all mine.

OK, jumping the gun a bit, but this gadget just became a must have and I found one like-new on Amazon Warehouse Deals for $19 so I ordered it. It made the jump from unnecessary to must-have due to my discovery of cauliflower rice! I can't believe how good it is and how hard it is to grate cauliflower manually, without shredding my knuckles that is. The 10 pound loss is not going to be coming soon, but the 1 month participation will be met (or nearly) by the time it arrives (I elected slow, free shipping).
I've ordered stainless steel pans from Warehouse Deals in the past. If they were a returned item it didn't really matter (and I saved a ton of money). I hope I'm not disappointed with the condition of an electric appliance. We'll see; kind of a gamble.
20 Feb 2016, 05:04
Hi! I'm from the US (Idaho) and just started the 5:2 Eating Plan February 15, 2015 (right after Valentine's day) I have 85 pounds to lose. I just jumped right in after doing some online research. Monday, I only ate when hungry and when I got to 500 calories, I stopped. I waited for certain death ... I did get a little hungry and a little headachy but I didn't die :) The next day I felt so very proud of myself. I did another fast day yesterday and it went even more smoothly than Monday. I've lost 5# just in these first five days of new, intermittent fasting. I know it's most likely water loss, but it's very encouraging nonetheless. I'm so happy to have found this site with people to talk to, a tracker, and recipes! I've also found some lovely recipes on Pinterest.
20 Feb 2016, 21:44
Welcome to the forums!! Glad to hear it's going so well for you :-)
22 Feb 2016, 17:53
I'm still here... not gaining weight..but not loosing
23 Feb 2016, 11:51
:clover:
DPaine wrote: Hi! I'm from the US (Idaho) and just started the 5:2 Eating Plan February 15, 2015 (right after Valentine's day) I have 85 pounds to lose. I just jumped right in after doing some online research. Monday, I only ate when hungry and when I got to 500 calories, I stopped. I waited for certain death ... I did get a little hungry and a little headachy but I didn't die :) The next day I felt so very proud of myself. I did another fast day yesterday and it went even more smoothly than Monday. I've lost 5# just in these first five days of new, intermittent fasting. I know it's most likely water loss, but it's very encouraging nonetheless. I'm so happy to have found this site with people to talk to, a tracker, and recipes! I've also found some lovely recipes on Pinterest.

:smile: Hi DPaine, and welcome! I'm new Jan. 11, and I love this way of eating.
I was pleased to see someone else who wants to lose 85 pounds eventually. This group of people is very encouraging, even when we don't lose. I'm in Maine, and always gain in the winter, so this is new. Good luck! :clover:
23 Feb 2016, 14:34
Yes, I am living in California. I like this diet and it is easy to follow. :victory:
23 Feb 2016, 17:05
DPaine wrote: Hi! I'm from the US (Idaho)

HI! @DPaine Welcome! I'm in Seattle, BUT I'm from Idaho.
This is a great place for support. It's making a huge difference for me. I'm struggling each week right now, but I keep coming back and checking in. I hope you will find it as helpful as I do.
07 Mar 2016, 22:57
Well I think I convinced my mom to try a fast once a week. She would never try 2 times a week but her doc says she can't take anything to lower her cholesterol and I told her fasting does that naturally. I'm praying she gives it a good shot once a week and maybe she can try 2 times later.

Meanwhile I have come to the conclusion that 2 times a week is maintenance for me. So I am going to attempt to add a 3rd day on Saturday. If I can't do it that Saturday I won't feel bad.. my goal is at least 2 Saturdays a month. I am so thankful I haven't gained any weight in the last year but I need to kick myself in the butt and this is the only thing I think that might work. I'm so thankful for 5-2
08 Mar 2016, 00:53
Sounds to me like an extremely good reason to spend a fast day with mom to benefit you both. You'll be there to keep her busy, to commiserate with the grumblies of early fasting, and finish the day by celebrating a 1,000 calorie dinner for two.

Don't forget to say "Hi!" to mom for us!
Previous 1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 47 Next
703 posts Page 39 of 47