The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

703 posts Page 38 of 47
Previous 1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 47 Next
Re: Anyone in the US?
25 Jan 2016, 21:55
Wow! Welcome to the new people :-)

The storm totally missed us. I live in upstate NY and I'm *SUPPOSED* to get blizzards that dump 3' of snow at a go, with temps not venturing above freezing for the whole month of January. But thanks to climate change, storm Jonas graced us with such a light dusting of snow that it wasn't even measurable. At during my walk today, it was definitely above freezing - my guess was 36. I think it was 50 last weekend, I was wandering NYC without a coat on. Crazy.
25 Jan 2016, 23:20
Hi everyone. I just joined and really like the look of this site; it's chill, not all flashy like so many. I'm Marcia from Seattle and I knit and used to spin (wool that is). I've been on an internet sabbatical for over a year (loved it), but circumstances have forced me to rejoin the 21st century, so here I am on boards and all.
I am trying to eat Paleo/Primal, particularly limiting grains and refined sugars. I have arthritis in my knees and get real relief when I am strictly Paleo. I also need to loose additional weight. I have lost over 90 pounds from my all time high and think dropping another 30 would be very advantageous. I love Paleo eating except for food prep. I hate to cook and wish I could just open a can! I found this site looking for recipes for fast days and think it will be a boon.
My biggest concern right now is my body fat%. It just doesn't seem to budge. Oh, and the cooking.
25 Jan 2016, 23:49
Welcome @RavingKiko! I lived in the Puget Sound area for about 10 years, from about 1991 until 2000. I'm a knitter too :-)

I really need to be better about limiting my grains and refined sugars. I eat too much of those. sigh.
26 Jan 2016, 14:15
Hi Marcia - Welcome! I LOVE Seattle. I hope to move their someday, but I've been a bit of a wimp about making such a big change!
Tracie - I'm in CT and we got a good amount of snow but not enough to shut us down for more than a day. I'm a teacher, so I would've preferred it on a Monday, but I liked it anyway! The weather has been crazy though!
I just decided yesterday to switch to 16:8 because I haven't been doing that great with 5:2, so we'll see how it goes.
Have a nice day, ladies!
26 Jan 2016, 15:58
raving, regarding your arthritis, all my symptoms stopped when I stopped eating gluten several years ago. When I "cheat" all the old symptoms come back. It's horrible. I can't even eat gluten free oats, I'm so sensitive to grains. I'm not paleo, but I do need to keep the carbs down and am starting lower carb eating today.

Anyway, this is a very nice forum. I'll officially be starting my 5:2ing on Monday. Have a great day everyone!
26 Jan 2016, 16:09
cblasz let us know how 16:8 goes for you. I do great at 5:2 but loose control on non fast days. I have been trying to figure out something for the non fast days and so I'm going to give 16:8 yet another try on non fast days. I have tried several times before but it just hasn't clicked for me yet.
26 Jan 2016, 16:44
happysheryl wrote: raving, regarding your arthritis, all my symptoms stopped when I stopped eating gluten several years ago. When I "cheat" all the old symptoms come back. It's horrible.

I had the same experience, when I ate strict Paleo, my inflammatory symptoms WENT AWAY COMPLETELY. When I stopped eating Paleo they came back. Food is so powerful, even though I know the consequences, I eat stuff that is damaging. I'm hoping fasting helps me to stay on Paleo. My biggest problem is the food prep. If only there was a McPrimal on every block.
Thanks to everyone for your well wishes. My fast day went well. I lost 3 pounds :wink: . I don't want to become scale-obsessed, but I think I will follow the advice to weigh every day and view the average.
Marcia
27 Jan 2016, 02:32
Quick nonscale victory for me today - I had to take my son for a vaccination and I asked them to check my blood pressure. It was 110/70. That's great for still being obese. :-)
28 Jan 2016, 22:57
Excellent BP news @tracieknits! That's a very big deal. I'm having trouble keeping my bp under control, even with meds.
I've set an interim goal for myself. I almost bought a salad shooter on amazon, but said, hey keep with this (fasting, reading, posting, tracking) and reward yourself with it. So a 10 pound loss or 1 month participation (whichever comes first) and a useful, but unnecessary, kitchen gadget is all mine.
29 Jan 2016, 00:51
Hey @ravingkiko, I also live in Seattle, northern border (across the street from Jackson Park golf course, near Northgate). @cblasz, anything you want to know about my hometown, ask away! And for our newbies, ravingkiko and @happysheryl, here's the pdf I put together for a friend of mine.
5-2 et al.pdf
5.2 basics
(590.6 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
29 Jan 2016, 01:03
Thanks @ferretgal - I've been to Seattle 6 times I think. I've had 2 different sets of friends move there. I haven't been in 10 years though!! I am hoping to go back this summer though, if I can afford it!
29 Jan 2016, 02:21
ferretgal wrote: Hey @ravingkiko, I also live in Seattle, northern border (across the street from Jackson Park golf course, near Northgate). @cblasz, anything you want to know about my hometown, ask away! And for our newbies, ravingkiko and @happysheryl, here's the pdf I put together for a friend of mine.
5-2 et al.pdf

That's 4 miles from my brother's home in the Ravenna area!
29 Jan 2016, 17:34
@ferretgal, @cblasz, @wendyjane, I live in Pioneer Square and got rid of my car when I moved here. My immediate neighborhood is a grocery wasteland, 7/11, a few really down and out groceries (no produce or fresh foods, filthy, cute little resident dog sprays the lower shelves, just saw a package of pasta with a best by date of 2009...), or pretend groceries that are too hip and don't sell basics (like cider vinegar, kosher salt), but if I walk 10 blocks I can grocery shop at Pike Place Market or Uwajimaya in the International districthttp://www.uwajimaya.com/departments/detail/produce. I bought all my Thanksgiving groceries from a local bistro/deli (Delicatus) including a spatchcocked turkey (thank you Alton Brown, it was DELICIOUS). I got the most beautiful box of goodies and cooked it all myself.
Let me know if any of you are coming my way, we can sync feed days - there is no shortage of restaurants!
29 Jan 2016, 18:52
@ravingkiko, I understand; years ago, I lived on Capitol Hill for awhile and my car gathered dust; I worked a mile from my apt and walked back and forth--was faster than finding parking! I'm a bit of a wuss about traffic so I don't drive downtown (which includes P Square), but my friend took us to Uwajimaya a couple weeks ago...love that place! I feel guilty, I'm surrounded by great grocery stores--have you been to either Central Market? I'm close to the Shoreline store, but the Mill Creek one is even better. And of course Whole Foods and PCC...though I'm about a mile from the "greenest" Safeway in Pinehurst. And if you wanted to join me to explore the north end, I'm a quick bus ride (from the tunnel) via Routes 41 or 73. I assume you've been to the Kress IGA? That's less than a block from where I used to work. Not a bad little store... Oh, and the new Trader Joe's opening in Shoreline (NE 175th) on Feb 26; we've been looking forward to that, won't have to drive 9 miles each way to Lynnwood (I don't like the U Dist store, parking is insane).
29 Jan 2016, 19:47
Hi @ferretgal. I used to shop at Central Market in Mill Creek all the time - loved it. I used to work at Main Street Yarn in the MC Town Center. Loved having the market, bookstore, work, all right there, manicure, jamba juice (glad there's not one near me now). I was really unhappy in the burbs, so that's when I moved downtown. Had to get a new job (the yarn shop was fun-employment anyway - can't believe I got paid), and first thing I did was give my car to my son (who lived on Cap Hill at the time and promptly sold it, I remember trying to find a parking spot that day...understand why he sold it). I just used instacart to get groceries from Central Co-op (was the Metropolitan market), and I used to get almost everything thru Amazon Fresh (but they really ticked me off - $300 annual fee for delivery? really? or am I just cheap?) Instacart has free delivery on first order btw. I stocked up!
Previous 1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 47 Next
703 posts Page 38 of 47