The FastDay Forum

5:2 Diet Recipes

155 posts Page 7 of 11
Previous 1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 Next
Re: THE HAIRY TENT!
30 Mar 2014, 18:32
The burgers were lovely everyone ate them. I have 3 more in the freezer will be making them again.
30 Mar 2014, 19:29
Oh great, glad they were a success. Note to self...burgers

:starving:
31 Mar 2014, 18:21
Oh rats i meant to borrow the HB books from my Beau today but forgot to pick them up
Beau is a good cook,has lots of recipe books... I am from the FOP school of cookery ..Freezer,Oven,Plate..but am hoping HBs will inspire me to do better :razz: x
How you today@nursebean young beanster? Can't see you in any of the tents or anywhere...ohhh no..i hope you havent bean captured and now on a plate with yr baked brothers and sisters..on top of a slice of toast :confused: :frown: :doh:
( Hope you're feeling ok today x)
01 Apr 2014, 22:02
DD2 and I made the fish with chorizo crust from the yellow book tonight. Absolutely scrumptious! We used cod loins. DD1 found it a little spicy for her taste but she is a total wimp :lol: She still enjoyed the fish though, just scraped off the crust.
01 Apr 2014, 22:27
Ohhhhhhhhh i had forgotten but just this minute remembered!
I have borrowed a Hairy book from Boyf
Look forward to perusing it tomozz and turning from a "freezer - oven - plate " cook to a beezer chef cooking from scratch! X can't wait! :like:
02 Apr 2014, 07:24
Keep us all posted @candicemarie and tell us what you cook!
02 Apr 2014, 07:31
Winsome wrote: DD2 and I made the fish with chorizo crust from the yellow book tonight. Absolutely scrumptious! We used cod loins. DD1 found it a little spicy for her taste but she is a total wimp :lol: She still enjoyed the fish though, just scraped off the crust.

I did that the other week and The DH an dmd looooved it, the son not, so he scraped of all that lovely crust ;(

Think I will do the Madrass thing (yellow book) tonight, need to start out in time though.

The problem I find will all English recipes is that many of the ingredients mentioned can't be found here and since I have no clue on what they taste like, I have to be inventive :shock: Like parts of meat,,,,good braising meat???? Is that chuck or what? And gravy powder....or curry paste...They do have curry cooking sauces or there are like tikka masala powder.....and red Thai curry paste...

Eh for blips sake, shut up Wolfie
02 Apr 2014, 07:42
Personally, I don't think that the recipes lack spiciness. Beef stroganoff for example is traditionally NOT a spicy dish - the paprika sprinkled on at the end is for garnish not flavour. Certainly, if anything, I've had to reduce the chilli content of some dishes when feeding my mine year olds and DH. It's a rare child that enjoys hot food in my experience. If catering only for myself the heat level in most things would be perfect as I quite like a kick, however not from every meal.

I do think your palate adjusts to hot food. The more you have, the more you need to get that 'hot and spicy' feeling. Wolfie will be adding scotch bonnets to her breakfast soon :razz:
02 Apr 2014, 11:51
Oh no Winsome - there is a limit to my chilly craziness...Of course we couldn't have hot food when the kids where small, but they kind of grow into the taste as years passed by and now John (15) helps me to spice it nice in the kitchen :) Last winter we bough a hot pepper sauce that we have named the "kaboom" sauce, you have to use a pipette and only use like 3-4 drops which he used to take out revenge on his father for some slight...It was evil but laughable at the same time. :shock:

And I promise, this year I won't use the hot air oven to dry my hot chili harvest, but will do it the natural way. :wink:
02 Apr 2014, 17:55
:lol: Wolfie :grin:

Four hungry girls aged 9-10 demolished the Hairy Very Berry Fool (and also some lacy oatmeal biscuits) this afternoon. I did have to add some sugar to the frozen berries because mine were very tart. I followed the instructions against my better instinct; next time I will mix the custard and 3/4 of the berry purée together, then fold in the whipped cream. It was delicious but a little sloppy. Not that any of them complained :wink:
02 Apr 2014, 19:26
I miss those days @Winsome of my little girl at home and her friends coming round
Happy days! X
03 Apr 2014, 08:32
Made the Madrass curry last evening and even though the color was ugly (brown with tiny red specks, hence no pic) the taste was great. I didn't have as many red chilies the recipe called for so I added some tabasco, plus some more curry and even a ssh of Thai red curry powder. Also upped the amount of raw suger. And - the amount of broth was way to high -750ml, which made the dish more soupy even though it cooked for over 2 hrs. I also used some cornstarch to thicken the soup.
BUT the dish was highly appreciated and not a single piece of meat was left over :smile:
07 Apr 2014, 09:42
Brand-ie wrote: I am going to have ago at making the beef burgers from the Hairy book. i am going to prepare them today for lunch tomorrow.

From which of their cookbook is that? I',m still waiting for the first diet one and the asian one to come to me ;9
07 Apr 2014, 11:33
From the first diet one. They were lovely. I adjusted the recipe a bit and made 6 ( froze 3)
09 Apr 2014, 16:48
Made the Chicken jerk (or was it jerky chicken) today from the yellow book. Did have exactly the chilies required, but found a light yellow green hiding behind the curtain (the main surviving plant from last summer) and a big dried Anjou type that I used instead. The recipe calls for 2hr or more marinating, but that I realized round 5pm...Well, turned the chicken in the marinade and into the oven. And whatdayaknow - it turned out great anyhow and every single pice of chicken (and almost all air fried potatoes) was eaten, even though there was no sauce but some lime wedges. And honestly - it was really tasty and - I followed the recipe to the T, except for the chilies then. The DH asked if it was a bikers recipe ;) Dang that Amazon don't ship the other book until the end of the month:(
Previous 1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 Next
155 posts Page 7 of 11