The FastDay Forum

5:2 Diet Recipes

155 posts Page 6 of 11
Previous 1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11 Next
Re: THE HAIRY TENT!
26 Mar 2014, 13:06
Think you've strayed into the wrong thread@nursebean :razz:
We're getting into Breaking Bad - done up to 2 episodes of series 2 - a long way to go methinks
28 Mar 2014, 11:11
I am going to have ago at making the beef burgers from the Hairy book. i am going to prepare them today for lunch tomorrow.
28 Mar 2014, 12:03
Yesterday I made Chicken Chow Mei (yellow book) and I had no sweet peppers so I used broccoli, one Roscoff onion, three sling onions instead and I had no sherry, so I used a bit of Mirin. No canned bean spurts, bt used fresh alalfa and sunflower seed ones. And for more flavor I sliced up 1/2 long red chili pepper plus added a bit of hoisin sauce, more soy and spices. Tasted great and John asked if this too was low cal and when I said yes, he took a large seconds:)
28 Mar 2014, 13:14
I made the burgers used shallots instead of onion and used dried mixed herbs because that's all I had. I also had tomato and vegetable puree rather than sun dried. I also had 500g of mince. Put into recipe calculator and made 6 burgers at 116 cals each. Will report on taste tomorrow.
28 Mar 2014, 17:36
I made their burgers that have courgette (zucchini) in them last summer (from the white book) and my son who claims that courgette is poison never even noticed the stealth vegetable content! They were great and particularly useful when you have a courgette glut!

The meatballs with stealth carrot were also successful.

I love tricking DS into eating vegetables :grin:
28 Mar 2014, 17:41
Ooh @Wolfie that looks really delish! The trouble with me is I'm not very good at improvising so if I didn't have the ingredients I don't know what I'd do. People like you are geniuses to me :grin:

Bean :starving:
28 Mar 2014, 18:02
@wolfie. Looks wonderful.
28 Mar 2014, 20:08
Definitely up to the same standard as photos in a cook book. :like: :victory: :cool: bet it tasted fab too :wink:
29 Mar 2014, 09:31
Bean darling, there is nothing magic about it at all. Hopefully you have some veggies and meat in the fridge, no matter what I think (now someone might slap my hand and say that some veggies are more kcal than others :shock: ,but honestly I don't think so....
The same goes for meat and since The Hairy guys use all sorts of them, I think it's ok to swap them.

My mom was a home ed teacher so I grow up in school training kitchens and the one at home, but didn't start to cook on my own until I was 13. That gives a heck of a lot of practice years. I think round 10yrs ago or so, I was confident enough to stop slavishly following cookbook etc recipes, then I was brave enough to start experimenting on my own and I think I could be able to make my own tiny cookbook by now. The only recipes I do follow like a slave, is baking :shock:

When it comes to seasoning it's all trial and error and in time you learn what goes with what and even hor to cross over. My 15 yr John usually comes into the kitchen when I make dinner, takes a spoon and does a little testing. You can see if he thinks it's 100% or not and nowadays I let him do the final touches the way he pleases and it turns out great every time. Watching him is like watching ballet :smile: :heart:

Today will be simple, some steaks, corn of the cob and asparagus on the grill, potatoes in the Darth Vadar machine and some sauce - might do a bearnaise (there I go by the recipe too) and some nice red wine:)
29 Mar 2014, 11:35
I LOVE the Hairy Dieters & use their two books every week - I've got their lamb tagine, chicken provencale and something else all batch cooked and in the freezer...I do agree about the calorie counting though - I feel they are a bit on the "optimistic" side, but for non-Fast days, we use them a lot!
29 Mar 2014, 12:12
Oh @Wolfie it must have bean great growing up with cooks. Sounds as though you SHOULD create your own recipe book. I'd buy one! You could make a fortune :wink:

Have you found most Hairy recipes need more seasoning or spicing up? My dad (who never cooks) is going to attempt a Hairy beef stroganoff. I think you needed to add chilli and stuff to that didn't you? I'm much lay looking forward to it, though, I must say.

Happy, hairy cooking everyone xx

Bean :smile:
29 Mar 2014, 12:31
nursebean wrote: Oh @Wolfie it must have bean great growing up with cooks. Sounds as though you SHOULD create your own recipe book. I'd buy one! You could make a fortune :wink:

Have you found most Hairy recipes need more seasoning or spicing up? My dad (who never cooks) is going to attempt a Hairy beef stroganoff. I think you needed to add chilli and stuff to that didn't you? I'm much lay looking forward to it, though, I must say.

Happy, hairy cooking everyone xx

Bean :smile:

So far every Hairy recipe as well as most I have come across either wise need spicing up. Maybe that's because we do love our hot in this family? Well anyhow, the Beef Stroganoff don't need to be hot, just more taste - so I added sweet paprika powder, Anjou Chili Powder (just taste, not hot), Chili Explosion (a spice mill from Santa Maria brand), a LOT of freshly ground black pepper and a bit of raw suger to even out the taste. If your dad like it hot he can ad a dash of Tabasco and/or some cayenne powder. Good Luck to all :wink:
29 Mar 2014, 14:03
image.jpg
Hairy mince and veg pies
I have got some packet pizza base mix and mince. So this week I will attempt the hairy mince and veg pies.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/low-f ... _and_34423
29 Mar 2014, 17:48
Didn't eat the burgers today tomorrow tea instead. I did make the skinny lemon muffins but used lemon quark instead of yoghurt as smell of yoghurt makes me heave. They were lovely.
29 Mar 2014, 21:22
Well I like the sound of pies and muffins. Will have to put my thinking cap on

Bean :confused:
Previous 1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11 Next
155 posts Page 6 of 11