The FastDay Forum

Non-diet Chat

126 posts Page 5 of 9
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
Re: Any Americans in the house?
19 Mar 2013, 17:40
Hello! I am American and SO excited to be doing this plan...and to be able to lurk and participate on your fantastic forum. I heard a blurb about 5:2 on a news show, and watched the Horizon show the next day...then read the book the day after that! I've only a smidge of weight to lose, but super interested in all the other health benefits offered by intermittent fasting...namely cutting my cancer risk and lowering my resting heart rate. I'm so happy that all of you are here for support and humor. With the wealth of knowledge you all bring to the forum, I didn't even feel the least bit trepidacious about starting. Thanks so much for your warmth and wisdom! Wish a silly American newbie luck! :oops:
19 Mar 2013, 17:42
American in Boston! Heard about the 5:2 from my mother-in-law was skeptical but watched the video online and quickly ordered the Kindle book read it and said why not give it a try? I had lost 8 pounds on Atkins but was tired of carb counting. Yesterday was my 3rd fast and down 1.5 pounds. I am OK with fasting during the day and have kept pretty close to the 500. My problem is sleeping, anybody else?
19 Mar 2013, 17:55
Skinnygirlinside: Some people do find the alertness caused by 5:2 causes issues getting to sleep. Dr Mosley recommends a small glass of milk (from your daily cals allowance) before bed to help send you off :)

By the way, if any Americans are reading this and have been doing 5:2 for a little while with success, would you please have a look at this topic? :) Or if you know of any Americans who fit the bill & might be willing to help?
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2358
19 Mar 2013, 19:00
Hi- I live in Florida with my husband and 2 young sons. I lost my pregnancy weight doing weight watchers but I am so tired of the constant tracking and cooking 2 dinners most nights. I'm hoping that fasting 2x's a week and then, eventually once a week, will be doable and fit in with our lifestyle. I don't have that much weight to lose but if I ease up on watching my intake, I immediately start gaining weight. I haven't read most of the posts yet but looking forward to doing so!
19 Mar 2013, 20:11
I have just started today! As this has only recently been brought to my attention on the web, I can assume many others will be trying the 5:2 with us! I am very excited to start and wil be doing my first fast day on Thursday!
20 Mar 2013, 03:25
Wow - so many in one day! that's fantastic! Welcome everyone :-)

HeatherRoberts - good luck on your first fast tomorrow! That was the hardest one for me. Now they're easy peasy :-)
20 Mar 2013, 04:20
American living in Germany here! What's up with the stones? :grin: Lol! Seriously though, how much is a stone? I didn't think anyone used that anymore. I thought that the Americans were the only ones that still used the Imperial weight system and everyone else was on board with the metric system.

I just started the 5:2 diet 2 1/2 weeks ago after seeing Dr. Mosely on the Today show. It seems too good to be true! So far I have lost 6 pounds! I've been fasting on T & TH but think that I will change to M & TH next week. I must eat breakfast, so I start the day with 2 eggs and a slice of Ezekial bread (0700) and then wait until dinner (1900) to have a bowl of soup. This is totally doable for me. The hardest part of the day is when my body is expecting lunch (around 11-1300). I just drink lots of water and herbal tea to get me through. Once I'm over that hurdle, it's smooth sailing for the rest of the day. It definitely gets easier the longer that you do it; I think because you know what to expect. I hope to be able to keep this up for the long haul. I think that the weight loss is a bonus, the real benefit of this diet is how age related diseases are halted.

I've tried to talk co-workers into joining me on "fast days" at work. No one is interested. I'm glad I found this forum for support!
20 Mar 2013, 04:27
American here! I'm doing my first ever fast day tomorrow here in Utah. :)
20 Mar 2013, 04:34
American here in Portland,OR! Loving this forum - have been reading posts here all day. It's 9:30pm and I'm just about done with my first day of fasting and I feel fantastic!! Not hungry at all and in a great mood, despite eating only 500 calories. Looking forward to getting to know everyone!
20 Mar 2013, 23:24
Hello there from sunny Phoenix, Arizona! First heard about this on the Diane Rhem show last week, so I think word is spreading. Tomorrow is my second fast day. Hubby and I are doing this together, and if we have great results I can probably recruit some other family members. ;)
21 Mar 2013, 00:29
I'm American. I live in Titusville, FL. It's where Kennedy Space Center is. I watch rocket launches from my yard. I'm originally from Norhtern Illinois (please don't say the "S"). I grew up surrounded by Dairy Farms and cornfields. I moved to Florida in 2002 after my divoce so my parents could help with my children. My kids are on their own now, and I'm now attending college. I'm hoping to get a degree in computer science.
I found the 5:2 diet on Youtube. After, finding info and reading blogs on the net, I decided to try it. It seems like a diet I can do and it's one of the few that let you have coffee.
I was looking for support forums on-line and found my way here.
Wow, there is so much information.
I've begun menopause, and over the last year my weight has crept up on me. I was overweight before, but now it's ridiculous. I'm at the point when I look in the mirror and I don't even recognise myself.

I am looking forward to getting to know all of you.
21 Mar 2013, 00:50
American here from Colorado. Started 5:2 after seeing it on the news....the very next day! Almost 3 weeks now and it's going very well. I enjoy fast days :heart: , my husband maybe not as much. But he's hanging in there.
I recently ordered the "Hairy Dieter's cookbook". Will take a while to get here from the UK. :grin: We should have fun figuring out the conversions! But so many people seem to love it! Had to see what they are talking about.
I do love this forum.
21 Mar 2013, 01:26
I am in Washington State USA! Have tried IF off and on for the past year but never found a system that wasn't overly restrictive until I read about the 5:2 Plan. I have only been doing this for a week and a half; three fast days total but I have found very do-able thus far. I am very interested in nutrition and health, I read a lot and am always looking for new ways to tweak my diet for optimum health and weight. The scale says I have lost 2.2 lbs in the past week but I'll see what happens after a month before I make any proclamations!

I think the press in the US so far has been negative towards this way of eating, so it is being chalked up as a "fad" diet, at least in what I have read. I really think this could be incredible for many people if they just took the chance!
22 Mar 2013, 01:33
Welcome everyone! Wow, so many today :-) This is fabulous!
22 Mar 2013, 02:18
Another yankee here! I'm currently living in Wisconsin, but spent most of my life in northern Illinois. Today was my first fasting day, and it was surprisingly easy. I didn't eat all day and had my one meal at dinnertime. I'm sure they won't all be so simple, but I was pleased with how it went. I didn't feel hungry most of the day; mostly I just felt in control and that felt really good. I'm really hopeful that this could be the plan that actually works for the rest of my life.

Mary
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
126 posts Page 5 of 9