The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

495 posts Page 23 of 33
Previous 1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 33 Next
janeg wrote:
My next hurdle is two nights away in a hotel. No madmax and not enough interwebs for the shred programme which I watch/shout at via youtube.
I go tomorrow so can shred in the morning before we go, need something for Friday and Saturday.
It has a pool but probably isn't big enough for HIIting
Crosstrainer if it has a gym? Bedroom exercises (I wish :oops: )
Suggestions gratefully accepted.

Check out the free 7-minute exercise apps. They're the kind of exercises which you can do in a hotel room - star jumps, planks, knee high run on spot, wall sit, push ups, step ups, squats, lunges, etc. Depending on your fitness you can do more than one circuit. It looks easier than it is as there is little rest in between.
Yesterday I did a minute and a half on the exercise bike. 30 secs max and ten secs rest. It was a killer. So much harder than the 20 mins hiit I'd been doing off bike! I had planned to carry on afterwards but couldn't get my legs to move then were like jelly.

Unfortunately though, I'm going to take a little break from hiit for now. The doc told me yesterday that I have osteoarthritis in my knees and an inflamed hip :( I need to rethink the hiit I think. Maybe limiting it to arm strength exercises as usual but keeping leg exercises restricted to the bike. Any suggestions happily received.

In the meantime whilst I'm taking the anti inflammatories, I'm not going to do any hiit.

Good luck to today' a hiiters :)
@Umleila what was the 20min protocol you were using? I have been doing Boutcher protocol (8s up/12s down) for 20…

sorry to hear about your osteoarthritis :-(
Hi Maryann. It was a double whammy of the seven minute exercise mentioned above by wmr309 with a few more added 30 secs sets of jumping jacks, high knees running in place and twist jumps. I did it all with the help of a timer app called gymboss :)
I've never tried that 7 minute routine. I wondered about doing some of those exercises fast. Strength exercises in general aren't meant to be done fast; they're meant to be done slow and with careful attention to form so that you can avoid injury. With jumping jacks or running in place, I'm not worried, but even something like lunges with my dodgy knees would be a problem…

And I've already gone on ad nauseam about my issues on the bike… I've thought about writing to some of the scientists on the papers to ask about this...
Oh, we're all falling to bits! And this exercise thing is supposed to be good for us.
@Umleila punches/boxing are good aerobic upper body exercises. I used to Tae-Bo and loved it especially the punching :D You can really get your heart rate up with that. Hope your knees and hips calm down with the rest and anti-inflamatories.
@MaryAnn- I was eyeing up padded bike shorts yesterday as MAdMax is really hurting my tail and bum. The seat isn't padded so I must investigate if that's an option and also maybe try and get my posture and position checked out. The 20 minutes are getting painful towards the end and if I am to improve I need to increase time as well.
Ho Hum...mutter mutter ...good for you...mutter
Uggh . just found out that the move of the treadmill from storage to back room wont be happening due to renovations. I have a long term plan of putting it in another room but thats not for at least 12 months. oh well.

plan b.. tell me everyone what should plan B be?

arm is still playing up but happy to work tummy and legs. floor exercises?
I was doing so well darn it and my hip just gone off on a tangent felt weird like it went and now feel like I am waddling like a duck. You can laugh honestly I may as well laugh along with you too. Am icing it and taking it easy and no workout planned until I feel more human

HIT a wall, can only say more tendon stretches might have been advisable. Open to suggestions. Already been well advised to ice 72 hrs and rest and not work out

No dog walks either but mine took himself off in forest and is out for the count still, his snores say it all
oh no @janeg. I hope you don't end up walking around with a pillow like me! I ended up with padded shorts and a gel pad I can slip over the bike seat, though I've been using the elliptical until I can get a cyclist friend to advise me on seat height, etc.

@Juliana.Rivers, what about exercising outside? is it too hot there? Alternatively, try that 7 minute workout (with jumping jacks and push ups, etc., that's been linked to a few times). Or… do you have a gym nearby? TBH, a treadmill isn't the easiest way to do HIIT anyway--changing the speed isn't easy/fast.

@gillymary, I won't laugh; it sounds painful. Get well soon!
Can I please join? I do Phil Campbell's Sprint 8 on a recumbent bike for 20 min. 3 x weekly.

The Sprint 8 HIIT exercise protocol begins with a 2.5 minute warm-up period, also known as the "active recovery pace" (ARP), followed by 30 seconds of full-sprint cardiovascular activity. After the 30 second sprint component, return to ARP for 1.5 minutes. After the 1.5 minute ARP, repeat the sprint component for 30 seconds. This process continues until eight sprints are performed, with a final 3 minute cool-down period, totaling 20 minutes.

:?: ~ Ann
Back at it today and hoping I don't end up needing a pillow @MaryAnn. I don't think I'm on for long enough to do any damage- just discomfort bordering on pain.
Change of routine this morning as I really wanted to have breakfast with Beloved, so instead of HIIting madmax first thing, I've had breakfast and intend to fight with him in 2 hours. That's the plan and hoping I still have resolve/don't get distracted/come up with an excuse...
Join at your own risk @slimnana! Only joking but if you read the last few posts it looks as though HIIT is turning us into invalids!
Recumbent bike sounds interesting. I've seen a couple of road bikes like that and it scares the bejesus out of me :shock:. Stationary ones must be safer.
How long have you been doing it? Are you seeing any improvements in your fitness? How do you ramp it up if it starts getting a bit easier?
@Julianna.Rivers will no doubt be along to give you a number and do the official welcome.
I can tell how disappointed you are julianna that you can't get the treadmill out ;) :lol:
Plan B... em, um,
gym and stationary bike?
home and floor exercises? as in videos?
Umeila's and wmr709's 7 min protocol?
There must be something you fancy!
Suppose as long as you're doing something you can incorporate HIIT at some point.
Hope something tickles your fancy and works with your arms ;)
slimnana wrote: Can I please join? I do Phil Campbell's Sprint 8 on a recumbent bike for 20 min. 3 x weekly.

The Sprint 8 HIIT exercise protocol begins with a 2.5 minute warm-up period, also known as the "active recovery pace" (ARP), followed by 30 seconds of full-sprint cardiovascular activity. After the 30 second sprint component, return to ARP for 1.5 minutes. After the 1.5 minute ARP, repeat the sprint component for 30 seconds. This process continues until eight sprints are performed, with a final 3 minute cool-down period, totaling 20 minutes.

:?: HIIT Member #39? ~ Ann

Hi you are member 40 Ana @slimnana Welcome aboard the fast and active train
Wmr309 wrote:
janeg wrote:
My next hurdle is two nights away in a hotel. No madmax and not enough interwebs for the shred programme which I watch/shout at via youtube.
I go tomorrow so can shred in the morning before we go, need something for Friday and Saturday.
It has a pool but probably isn't big enough for HIIting
Crosstrainer if it has a gym? Bedroom exercises (I wish :oops: )
Suggestions gratefully accepted.

Check out the free 7-minute exercise apps. They're the kind of exercises which you can do in a hotel room - star jumps, planks, knee high run on spot, wall sit, push ups, step ups, squats, lunges, etc. Depending on your fitness you can do more than one circuit. It looks easier than it is as there is little rest in between.

hey your suggestions to janeg @wmr309 might suit my situation. i cant have the equipment in my back room so its like needing to exercise in a hotel.

just cant manage the gym thing unless i can find one that does pay by the visits . ive spent too much time on "unused" annual memberships and i dont want to be tied to any gym even for 12 mnths.
MaryAnn wrote: oh no @janeg.

@Juliana.Rivers, what about exercising outside? is it too hot there? Alternatively, try that 7 minute workout (with jumping jacks and push ups, etc., that's been linked to a few times). Or… do you have a gym nearby? TBH, a treadmill isn't the easiest way to do HIIT anyway--changing the speed isn't easy/fast.

@gillymary, I won't laugh; it sounds painful. Get well soon!

Thanks MaryAnn can take on board your suggestions.. gym... see post above.
@Julianna.Rivers swimming? just a thought..
YAY! despite the changed routine (not hittinh HIIT first thing)I have just done my HIIT for today. And managed to increase slightly again. The knee is ok- new trainers and put on a compression sock. I know it's there but it's not sore.

Increased regime
5 mins warm up
5 sets of going at it hell for leather 20 up, 40 sec recovery
1 minute recovery
3 sets (up 1 from last time) 20 up 40 down and
1 min recovery
then off madmax for stretches /cool down.

15 mins madmax time - that can be pushed to 20 mins in the future. I can see where this is going :)
pulse 132 after maxfight
120 after stretches/cool down.
No intention to push it any further for this 6 day set.
Tomorrow the shred thing. Still the same one- that will move to a different level in the next 6 day set.
So, all in all, doing not too badly.
*quietly chuffed*
Good luck to fellow HIITers :clover:
Previous 1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 33 Next
495 posts Page 23 of 33