The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

1467 posts Page 10 of 98
Previous 1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 98 Next
Re: Are there any runners here?
20 Apr 2013, 20:42
CreakyPete wrote: Well done ladies! Mark - you are a silly sod, always run through the puddles! Good luck tomorrow with these shoes...

Those very words came to mind as soon as the first shoe came off.

Elaine78 wrote: Itadakimasu, you weren't tempted by this barefoot running thing, then?

It was more like paddling than running except you normally get to take your socks off for paddling.

I've learned my lesson...in future I'm going to risk the possibility of wet feet over the strong probability of wet and muddy feet and fishing shoes out of the mud.

By the way, my time today was 29:54 so had I have been the 30 minute pacer today I would have been quite close.
20 Apr 2013, 21:55
WOOT !
I just got my time 37mins 40 sec
Now I know this is still slow but less slow than I thought :)
21 Apr 2013, 07:12
That's a great first time, Sian, onwards and downwards!

I'm doing this one today
http://www.athleticsni.org/Events/Titanic-Quarter-10K-

Bit rainy this morning, but the weatherman says it'll dry up later.
21 Apr 2013, 07:24
Japan doesn't have anything like parkrun as far as I know, but they do have alot of local races that you can sign up for. There are usually at least two distances for each event. I did one yesterday that had a 10K and half-marathon. I did the 10K. It included a bridge to a small island with absolutely amazing views. The half-marathon did that bridge plus another longer one to a second island. It's an afternoon/evening run timed to catch the sunset, but it was too cloudy yesterday. And towards the end it started really pouring, so not much fun. Races in Okinawa are really fun. Lots of people along the route come out and cheer you on, sometimes with drums. Yesterday there was a band playing "Popeye the Sailor Man" as I ran past. I've never run such a hilly 10k, but it was a great day overall.
21 Apr 2013, 12:17
Very pleased, first week of running for at least 18 months, 3rd run of the week...2x 2 mile runs earlier in the week and straight into Parkrun yesterday. I did it in 33.48. It's a fit group here in Southend, came 106 of 112 and was feeling the pressure a bit! So pleased I did it though and thrilled that I ran the whole 5k :0D
21 Apr 2013, 17:54
Hi
Melanie how did your run go?
vebnorahs great run!
MaryAnn you make a towpath in Kent seem very mundane :)
21 Apr 2013, 18:41
It was a great run - tough, bit of wind, some light rain and some sunshine, but my chip time was 1:03:43, a more than 10 minute improvement on last year's time. My 5km time was 31:41, which compared with my last 2 ParkRun times of 31.15 is not too shabby!
21 Apr 2013, 20:41
I'm very impressed by you all. I completed week 3 of the C25K podcast today. So I've been doing two three minute runs and next week it's up to 5 minute runs! Seems a bit daunting from my point of view. But I'm excited by the idea of being able to do it. So far I've been able to keep up with it without much difficulty. It doesn't seem believable that I'm already a third of the way through the programme but I can't really believe that I'll be able to jog for the 30 minutes. But I suppose it might be true if I stick with it.
21 Apr 2013, 20:47
Well done and keep going... You will do it .... In another 6 weeks you'll be running 30 mins+

And it just builds from there ... Going further and faster .... And every time you go further or faster it feels really good ;)

I did 10 miles today at an average of 9:46 per mile, but I started out like everybody else - huffing and puffing through 1 minute at a time before gratefully slowing to walk .... And never believing I could run continually for 30 mins let alone an hour or more.....
22 Apr 2013, 03:44
SianS wrote: MaryAnn you make a towpath in Kent seem very mundane :)

I moved here from Sheffield. I really miss running in the UK. I used to run in the Rivelin Valley in Sheffield and it was so beautiful. When I lived in London, I ran on Hamstead Heath, which was also amazing.

It will soon be too hot and humid in Okinawa to do much outdoors, unless it involves the ocean. Luckily the machines in the gym have a built in fan! (Gosh, I must sound really spoiled!)
22 Apr 2013, 08:05
Looks like everyone had a good run over the weekend. Well done everyone. I did a 12k off-road yesterday http://www.pewseyvalerunningclub.org/races_10k.aspx
Really enjoyed it, plenty of hills and a few obsticles to negotiate. Some quite breathtaking scenery too.I managed to complete it in 1 hour and 12 minutes so quite pleased really.

MaryAnn, as my username suggests I've always been an admirer of the Japanese and Japan is a country I've always wanted to visit. I'm currently reading a book by Runner Chris Pavey called 'Running Against Time' about his attempt at the Mount Fuji Half Marathon. It's quite a good read.
22 Apr 2013, 23:07
Wow, that looks like a beautiful place to run.
I don't know if I'm running before I can fall about backwards, or whatever the expression is but I'm getting a bit excited by the possibilities of this running thing.
I'm wondering about setting myself some sort of challenge. Bear in mind that I'm only up to week 3 of the podcast and can just about do the 3 minutes at the moment. Though I managed that without too much difficulty. My plan is to complete the podcast and then if I've done reasonably well and feel reasonably confident to join the local Park Run.

I live in Leeds and in July there's this Jane Tomlinson Run for All 10K thing. Does it seem like an unrealistic challenge to go for it? I don't have to make a decision now, of course maybe see how far I get with what I'm doing at the moment. I suppose the question is, will I be able to run 10k comfortably within 12 weeks?
23 Apr 2013, 03:00
MaryAnn - Try cycling when the humidity starts to pick up. Japanese roads are brilliant for cycling especially compared to UK ones, drivers are also more considerate and slower than the UK. Its by far my favourite cycling country once out of the urban areas.
23 Apr 2013, 06:19
Elaine78: I don't see why not, assuming that you do not pick up an injury that limits your training in that time. There used to be 12-week marathon training plans for non-runners so as long as you are sensible and don't hurt yourself (you have to listen to your body) you should be able to get round 10k. Not necessarily without some walking, but get round in one piece. It is good to have a goal - it is not absolutely necessary to achieve it first time!
23 Apr 2013, 08:12
skippyscuffleton wrote: MaryAnn - Try cycling when the humidity starts to pick up. Japanese roads are brilliant for cycling especially compared to UK ones, drivers are also more considerate and slower than the UK. Its by far my favourite cycling country once out of the urban areas.

That's a great idea. I really need to invest in a new bike. I live in a fairly unpopulated region of Okinawa, so it's really good for cycling.
Previous 1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 98 Next
1467 posts Page 10 of 98