The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

1466 posts Page 71 of 98
Previous 1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74 ... 98 Next
Re: Are there any runners here?
14 Sep 2014, 20:17
Hi all, no run to report from me this week because I went climbing in Wales instead and had a brilliant time. Well done Susan, trail running is the best and especially in the hills but sadly no longer an option for me.

After much deliberation and research I had a consultation with a local orthopaedic surgeon to see if a resurfacing operation would be suitable/available/necessary for my worse hip (the left one). And he said yes, which is good, but leaves me with the decision to make. It could be done before Xmas and takes a good six months to recover with a possibility of still being able to jog on soft surfaces and the hope of a greater range of movement and less pain when climbing. Expected life of the metal bits is 15 years+, not too much risk in the procedure - what do you think? The better hip has a couple of years left in it according to the X-ray...
14 Sep 2014, 20:35
Hi @CreakyPete I think it's a decision only you can make really. But I do know someone who had the resurfacing done and she hasn't looked back - she's a competitive tennis player and her game hasn't suffered long term.

Congratulations on your relay @Franglais

On another note, I completed the Chesterfield Half Marathon this morning. Not quite in the style I envisioned but I did it and I'm happy.

Now for the excuses
My 12 week training plan (BUPA finishing with race day) went pear-shaped at week 4 with a virus that took 3 weeks out of my training and then the last two weeks didn't really happen either. I did manage a 12mile run at the end of week 9 with no ill effects so decided all was go.

The course was good - listed as a fast one, was that because it was on dual carriageways at times? The first 6 miles seemed to be mainly uphill to varying degrees and there was loads of support most of the way round. I'd love to give a witty and interesting mile by mile account but as I didn't know where I was half the time, or how I got to the bits I did know I'm afraid that is not happening. However, what I do know is that from mile 8 and a bit I started to get cramping in my calves, so from then on it was run until they protested then walk until they had freed up plus a bit longer, in the hope it wouldn't come back. I had got to less than half a mile from the end when the cramp got me big time and I actually dropped to the floor. Luckily for me there was a physio watching and I got an impromptu leg massage right there flat on my back in the road. This set me up to complete - at a run, no less, in an unofficial (but given by Miss Garmin) time of 2hrs 38mins 17 seconds, 8 minutes slower than I was hoping for but I finished and will be back next year.

The organisation on the course was great with plenty of marshals, first aid and drinks available and as the mileage rose, other goodies like gels and Jelly Babies were available. Fruit, water and chocolate given out at the end too - what's not to like? Nice medal too.
15 Sep 2014, 12:18
It's Monday morning here, guess I'll chime in now that I'm stationed in my cubicle....
Congrats Franglaise on the trail run, that sounds like a very nice challenging run, much different running on uneven surfaces as opposed to the flat tarmac, I understand that it's better for the feet in the long run. AnnieW, nice job toughing it out with the cramped calves and I know that feeling as of late, lot's of ice alternating with heat and deep massage for me. Nice jobs MaryAnn and ADFnFuel. And Pete, I feel for you and the decision you must make. It sounds like you have done the research and are making an informed decision. I see myself facing similar ones down the road. As for me, I have continued with my weekly training, a 2 miler, a 6 miler and the half on Sat morning. I'm looking to get through the next 3 weeks before winding down to just short runs on grass and trails until early spring 2015 when it will be time to resume distance running, God willing ! Enjoy the fall weather everyone !

Along one of my favorite routes ... Would love to see a pic of your route !

IMG_2276.JPG
Sept 1st
IMG_2276.JPG (71.05 KiB) Viewed 412 times
IMG_2394.JPG
Oct 11
(84.13 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
16 Sep 2014, 11:48
Some great runs and times guys and gals.
It's a massive decision @CreakyPete. You seem to have more or less made up your mind. The resurfacing option seems the better one but it is still an operation and still scary.
I really feel for you @AnnieW I had a massive calf cramp in a recent 5k and the prospect of continuing on for many more miles was not even remotely a possibility to me. Well done on picking a place with a physio waiting. :)
I have given up on my sub 25mins 5 k for the moment. As I have ramped up the speed I have had a catalogue of niggles and injuries and, as a result, I have decided to rebuild my endurance base and will then try again. The Manchester Marathon is on my mind next April so, hopefully, I will shatter the 25 min 5k goal along the way.
20 Sep 2014, 09:20
Hi Guys,

pleased to report that my first parkrun was this morning. :victory:
Managed 28.55 on my watch, was lots of fun. :grin:
Super proud of my lovely wife who went along and also finished. :like:
20 Sep 2014, 10:08
Well done Brian/Mrs Brian - now to start chasing PB times!

Mrs Pete & I just attended the first running of Kesgrave parkrun, in the pouring rain. Very flat and all on grass so fairly slow dodging big puddles etc - but easier to get a PB next time! Must try and improve by a second at a time...
27 Sep 2014, 18:02
Back at our home parkrun this week, and a minute quicker than last week's soggy horror.

MrsPete showed a similar improvement and easily beat me on percentage, as she usually does nowadays.

Still not committed myself regarding the hip op, must do something this week...
29 Sep 2014, 00:48
Good luck with your decision, Pete.

I've got my first half marathon of the season coming up on Oct. 11. My last long run wasn't great--I only got in 15k and it was a bit slow. I want to get one more in before the big day.
01 Oct 2014, 10:27
Good luck with your decision, Pete, it isn't an easy one to make. My neighbour had a hip operation recently and recovered really quickly. He doesn't run, but is a farmer and very active.
I'm resting at the moment. I have anaemia due to an iron deficiency, plus a kidney infection. I think my body is trying to tell me something! I wondered why my running times were worse and worse and I was so tired, it is all due to lack of iron, something that is particularly common in female runners especially. I'm hoping to be fit enough to at least participate in a 10k run in 10 days time in Rennes, a huge event.I originally wanted to do the half but it probably isn't a good idea with my current health. And doing a 10k should be a walk in the park after my last 40km trail race....
Good luck with your upcoming half marathon @MaryAnn
02 Oct 2014, 06:43
Thanks, @Franglaise! Feel better soon!
02 Oct 2014, 16:48
Hello All Runners!
Sorry for being away so long, it's been (and is) a busy life for me. I have big decisions to make in my professional life and at such times I'm less socially active, such as writing here. Have no doubts though, I really enjoy reading about all your ventures in running :victory:
For myself I finished Berlin Marathon in a new PB, now 3:45:07 is my best. (Shoes: New Balance Minimus Road) The best thing is I want to do another and I am signed up for Paris Marathon in spring 2015. That said, it was no easy run. From 25 K onwards it was first stomach pains (no more gels for me), then side stitch (burning in the side?) and after that I was completely burned after 33 K. I mean seriously dead legged zombie feeling.
For that and other reasons I want to reach my weight goal here, which I have not. It has been really tough to fast this summer and get a routine, partly because I've been adding miles to the running schedule and I couldn't break the code to eat enough/the right stuff on normal days (which made the fast days definitely in the no fun category)
Good luck to Pete and Franglaise and recovery!
Cheers to Brian1, Simon Egan, Annie W, Nessie, ADFnFuel, MaryAnn and Brougham!
04 Oct 2014, 18:57
Well done in Berlin, one of my colleagues also ran and did 3h47 IIRC.
I did parkrun 2 today and knocked off 2 minutes off my first one.

I really like this mobile site.
05 Oct 2014, 04:46
Well done on your improved time, @brian1!

My half-marathon may be cancelled due to typhoon :-(
05 Oct 2014, 10:12
Oh dear, a typhoon doesn't sound good!

How's your decision making, Pete?

Happy 10th birthday, parkrun! Great little piece on the BBC. I ran my home run with my new gadgets - cable free headphones, Garmin watch and hands-free dog leash. Stromed to an all-time PB of 25:46, which I am so pleased with - I thought after my injury back in May that I'd run my fastest 5k.
06 Oct 2014, 18:26
Well done Linda, and you beat me by 40 seconds! Despite perfect conditions we were both slow this time - so much for getting PBs by a few seconds every week...

Hip decision close, wife suggests waiting till after Xmas while I was thinking mid-Nov so Xmas was recuperation, not a time for rushing around trying to be sociable. Currently the better hip is almost as painful but the surgeon will not do both at the same time because recovery is much slower. If I don't go climbing the pain gets better but I still want to climb and unlike running I can still do as well as a lot of the youngsters in the club (at least on outdoor climbs, they are all better on the indoor walls due to my stiff hips). The day when MrsPete catches me at parkrun is nigh...
Previous 1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74 ... 98 Next
1466 posts Page 71 of 98