The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

1466 posts Page 72 of 98
Previous 1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75 ... 98 Next
Re: Are there any runners here?
07 Oct 2014, 18:17
I saw this and thought of you!
I am still running, but nothing major. Just about 30 to 40mins 3 times a week.
08 Oct 2014, 00:52
This typhoon has gotten very strong. It seems to have slowed down, though, so maybe, maybe they'll still have the race on Saturday. The trouble is…. I have to take a ferry to get there.
vongfong5d.gif
(15.83 KiB) Downloaded 181 times
09 Oct 2014, 05:50
It's officially cancelled. As a sort of consolation, a friend of mine has organized a trim Marathon for Monday starting at work. There should be at least 3 of us. It's better than nothing!
10 Oct 2014, 06:13
So sorry that your half marathon has been cancelled @MaryAnn.
I hope the typhoon didn't do too much damage.
Congrats on your Berlinhalf marathon @RunningOlsen and your park runs Brian and Melanie.
I'm not going to do the 10k on Sunday, am feeling a lot better having had a kidney infection and anaemia at the same time, but I don't think doing a race now will help my iron levels so I'll just stick with the training 3 times a week. Main goal is the Rome marathon in March, nothing serious until then so plenty of time to train and hopefully run a good time.
Good luck with your hip decision @CreakyPete I know you will make the right one.
10 Oct 2014, 06:28
Cheers @Franglaise, I wish you a quick recovery :clover:
11 Oct 2014, 10:55
After registering for Parkrun about 8 months ago I finally ran my first race this morning and managed 30.51, which is about what I was expecting ... now I have a goal to get under 30 mins!
11 Oct 2014, 18:42
Well done Lizzie.
I did Parkrun #3 today, took my bicycle and rode to the venue, about 8km, did the run and then rode home.
Bit concerned because my left archilles is a bit inflamed and swolen, will see how it feels tomorrow.
11 Oct 2014, 20:14
Well done Lizzie and Brian, sorry to hear about the Achilles & hope ice and rest fix it quickly. parkrun number 160 for me today but nothing special - faster than last week but a minute slower than two weeks ago. Losing aerobic fitness as well as getting more hip pain, have not been out on the bike all week due to the weather and things needing doing.
On the other hand, MrsPete managed her second-best time today and really enjoyed her run, only just over a minute behind me...
12 Oct 2014, 08:42
Well done Lizzie, welcome to the club!

I managed a birthday-eve PB of 25:30, so that 25 barrier is in my sights now...
13 Oct 2014, 13:14
So no new PB today; in fact, almost 20 minutes slower. Clearly I need to drop a few pounds and start training harder!
14 Oct 2014, 07:23
@MaryAnn Sorry about your time, but don't be disheartened there are so many factors that impact the speed we run!
At least you were brave enough to run. We aren't getting any younger either which doesn't help. I'm scared of doing another 10k or half marathon because I'm sure I'm not as fast as when I'd just started running! But I will have to bite the bullet soon I suppose. I like trail racing as it is so not about time and you really can't compare one race with another because the courses are so different.
I'm 2kg over target of 57kg but my weight is staying pretty stable without fasting so I'm happy with that, I think I look better too. But I'm conscious that the extra 2kgs will probably have an impact on my next 10k time!
14 Oct 2014, 07:59
Hi all. Hip resurfacing operation booked for November 18th, after much deliberation. Glad the decision has been made but still a bit nervous about the whole thing, as you might expect. Everything I have read by people who have had the op has been very positive, friends who have had total hip replacements have been very encouraging (but they don't run any more). There is a risk that my bones might not be good enough for the resurface once opened up in which case I will end up with a ceramic total replacement so that will be the end of running but not climbing/mountaineering. And the other hip will probably need doing within the next couple of years. But as Susan says above, we are not getting any younger so it must be better to take this opportunity now whilst I am still active rather than just limp around getting slower and slower and in more pain?
Will continue parkrun up to the last minute but I think 25 minutes is beyond me at the moment - well done Linda, you seem to be the current fastest parkrunner on the forum!
14 Oct 2014, 12:47
The decision is made now Pete. I am sure it is a weight off your mind. Your right about age but I suspect someone like yourself will just find another mountain to climb (probably a real one in your case) if running has to be put on hold for a while.
It s amazing that so many people do Parkruns now. I hadn't even heard about it until it was mentioned on this forum. I have another one loosely scheduled for a couple of weeks time. I will definitely be avoiding Heaton Park though as my last few runs there were horrendous.
It also helps, in a bizzare way, to hear that people get niggles and injuries but still recover and run well. I am getting back to fitness now but it has taken so long this time. I guess that is the effect that Father Time has on us all. Things were so bad that I have even started a stretching routine after every training session and run which is not something that I ever expected to have to do. I guess, in reality, I just need to take a bit more care of myself. :)
Take care y'all and run well this weekend.
14 Oct 2014, 14:43
It will be interesting to see whether Simon or Melanie breaks the 25 minute barrier first - and maybe Franglaise will pop over and sort us all out on a flying visit sometime?
15 Oct 2014, 01:17
Congrats on your decision, Pete. Best wishes for a speedy recover after the surgery.

I'm trying not to get down about my time. My pace was slower than my PB half, obviously, but also the distance was a bit longer (by about 1km), and the course hillier. We also had some pretty strong winds to content with, with the remnants of Typhoon Vongfong (Cantonese for wasp, evidently) hanging around. And… there were only 4 of us running, and the others were well ahead of me, so I didn't have that race day excitement and crowd to spur me on. I knew I wasn't training hard enough in the summer because of the heat. And I've gone further above goal weight than I'm comfortable with. I'm sure once I drop the weight and get more/better training in now that the weather is cooler, I'll be fine. Age really does matter, though, doesn't it. If I had put this sort of effort into running 10 years ago, imagine what I could have accomplished!

Because the DIY half/5k went so well (4 people ran each, which is a good turnout here for a work organized event, last minute as it was), I was trying to convince the organizer to do something like park run more frequently. He thinks there are too many local races to compete with, though, so he's not too keen. If we make the start within walking distance of campus, though, I reckon we'd do ok. On Monday, we even had a volunteer organize some people to hand out drinks along the course and throw us a little party after the slowest one (ahem) got back. It was fun for the non-runners to get involved! Maybe I'll convince him to have another if there's slow month for organized races...
Previous 1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75 ... 98 Next
1466 posts Page 72 of 98