The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

1466 posts Page 93 of 98
Previous 1 ... 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96 ... 98 Next
Re: Are there any runners here?
11 Jan 2016, 23:58
Simon Egan wrote: ... Does anyone have any tips for carrying water on a run? I don't like to run with a bottle in my hand but am unsure what alternatives are available. I am at the point now where I will need to hydrate mid-run especially when the temperature start to rise again.

Three styles are popular at longer foot races and all have their tradeoffs.

One, the Camelback, is essentially a bag of water backpack with a tube clipped to your shirt collar; take a sip of water whenever you want it virtually hands free. Probably the second most popular system on this side of the pond. Disadvantage? Water is heavy and chest straps can be confining. Do you want to carry water weight higher up on your back?

Another common and probably the most popular style, holds a varying number of ~200 ml rectangular slimline bottles - like ammo packs - on a waist belt in either clipped or elastic strap holders. Pull one out when you need it, drink, then and return it to its holder. These bottles are frequently seen on the ground along half and full marathon courses. They are always selling more bottles at the expos, so reattaching a bottle can sometimes be problematic. These are ideal if you prefer to take a variety of fluids along.

A third style holds one or two half to one liter bottles that are identical in shape and operation to those always seen clipped to bicycle frames. These are attached to a waist belt with a single bottle held front-center (rarely) or one to two bottles held along the back (providing arm swing clearance on the side) in either in vertical or 45-degree angle. The angle is quite useful. It makes the bottles easier to remove and return while on the run and it tends to keep them from falling out.
16 Jan 2016, 17:48
Oxford parkrun cancelled again today, still too wet, so I drove to Buckingham for my 50th, went great, finished 50th in the field and a PB of 24.23. ☺
16 Jan 2016, 20:15
brian1 wrote: Oxford parkrun cancelled again today, still too wet, so I drove to Buckingham for my 50th, went great, finished 50th in the field and a PB of 24.23. ☺

WooHoo!
I could beat that. On a bicycle. Down hill. With a motor. Me? Envious? Noooo, not me.

GREAT RUN!
:like: :like: :like:
16 Jan 2016, 20:20
Well done @brian1: you beat me today, I was pleased to get 24:31 as a best time this year on my home course (which was frosty but perfectly runnable). Next week will be my 50th parkrun with the metal hip, hoping for a few more seconds off to celebrate!

Cheers,

Pete
16 Jan 2016, 20:49
Awesome Pete, it seems that hip is all sorted now.
Buckingham course is way quicker than Oxford which is a bit of a mud pit in the winter.
23 Jan 2016, 11:52
I really love Buckingham, thinking of moving there.
Another PB today, knocked nearly 30 sec off to finish in 23.57.
ok maybe moving the family is a bit extreme.
23 Jan 2016, 12:29
Wow Brian, you are on fire! Well done again...
I did knock a few seconds off on my 50th metal-hip parkrun, 24:24 is a PB for 2016, but you are disappearing over the horizon!
30 Jan 2016, 13:36
Hi everyone, I'm going to be training for a 5K that's at the end of April (at the zoo!) I did it 2 years ago, but haven't kept up with the running. I usually listen to music, which works fine, but I was thinking of trying out an audio book this time. Does anyone listen to books when they run or is it too hard to focus on it?
30 Jan 2016, 14:48
@brian1: I demand a drugs test! How are you managing to keep up your current rate of progress?
Well done, again...
30 Jan 2016, 15:00
Oh boy Pete, you won't believe it, I almost don't.
Another PB today 23.35.
Did I mention I really like Buckingham.
Cblasz, I also listen to music when I run, haven't tried an ebook but I don't see why not.
Good luck with the prep for your run.
01 Feb 2016, 13:40
cblasz wrote: Hi everyone, I'm going to be training for a 5K that's at the end of April (at the zoo!) I did it 2 years ago, but haven't kept up with the running. I usually listen to music, which works fine, but I was thinking of trying out an audio book this time. Does anyone listen to books when they run or is it too hard to focus on it?

I have listened to ebooks as well as talk radio while running but only non-timed casual mindless runs. I find it relaxing and passes the time nicely, but if I'm working on my pace I go for something upbeat to help keep cadence !
06 Feb 2016, 13:25
Good run Pete.
It seemed that my trench foot was clearing up a bit so I headed back to Oxford today. ☺
PB at Oxford but not quite up to Buckingham pace.
06 Feb 2016, 19:58
Hi Brian, you still beat me - despite running a 2016 PB of 24:12 you still ended up 7 seconds in front of me - I guess it is not that Buckingham is short (which is good news as I had considered making the 100 mile round trip!) but you really have made a breakthrough in your running. I definitely felt like a runner today, just need to sharpen up a bit!

Cheers, Pete
07 Feb 2016, 16:36
I wish I could run as fast as you guys. I am a bit of a plodder. Signed up for a couple of half marathons this year as I did one last year and really enjoyed it. I just got my 50 parkrun t shirt and I'm about to get my 25 Volunteer t shirt too. I don't run with music or anything else cblasz but I do know lots of people that listen to all sorts of things while running.
09 Feb 2016, 20:57
A link that will strike a familiar chord in both beginner and veteran runners:

http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2016/01/re ... ances.html

"... In other words, you should be challenging yourself in a passion project in a field you know you can conquer and are pretty good at — but not quite yet the best at. ..."
Previous 1 ... 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96 ... 98 Next
1466 posts Page 93 of 98