The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

1466 posts Page 92 of 98
Previous 1 ... 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95 ... 98 Next
Re: Are there any runners here?
17 Dec 2015, 20:30
PF is still giving me trouble. I've run a few times in Riverside park, which is near me and lovely. At the north end there are unpaved trails thought the woods. Why did I think that was a good idea? Now I've twisted my ankle and and hobbling around - PF in one foot and a sprained ankle in the other.
17 Dec 2015, 21:21
MaryAnn wrote: PF is still giving me trouble. I've run a few times in Riverside park, which is near me and lovely. At the north end there are unpaved trails thought the woods. Why did I think that was a good idea? Now I've twisted my ankle and and hobbling around - PF in one foot and a sprained ankle in the other.

Uh Oh! Cautiously - where angels fear to tread, dare I suggest the wheelchair division? But then you'd need a helmet, go-fasty goggles, flowing scarf, reflective gloves, shoulder pads, matching big-buckle seat belt, ... heating pad.

Welcome back MaryAnn! Long-time no read.
18 Dec 2015, 11:28
@MaryAnn
MaryAnn wrote: PF is still giving me trouble. I've run a few times in Riverside park, which is near me and lovely. At the north end there are unpaved trails thought the woods. Why did I think that was a good idea? Now I've twisted my ankle and and hobbling around - PF in one foot and a sprained ankle in the other.

I managed to fall on a flat path during parkrun and cut my knee and hand, necessitating one trip to A&E and two to minor injuries. Healing well now, should be able to train this weekend, just in time to start my marathon programme for Brighton.

Hope you recover well.

Stay safe everyone!
25 Dec 2015, 15:53
Ran our latest local parkrun this morning and despite not being keen on the course managed a best percentage (also helped by being a year older a couple of days ago) and became (briefly, I expect) the course record-holder for the V65 category. Not a bad Xmas present, but have to do it again tomorrow!
Merry Xmas and New-year PBs to all my running friends XXX

Captain's Log supplementary: Boxing day parkrun went even better - 24:34 - and starting to feel like a proper runner again. Still the V65 course record holder!
25 Dec 2015, 16:09
Well done Pete, wife and I drove to Buckingham parkrun as Oxford not on today, had a nice run. Will probably do the trip once in a while for a bit of variety.
27 Dec 2015, 13:33

I had the steroid injection in mine several years ago....no prob since. But now you can get a special sock/brace to wear at night which stios the ligament tightening up. Worth a look but not very sexy
03 Jan 2016, 11:37
Hi runners!
I'm back after two years away from this forum. I had just started running at that stage, and in the meantime I have become a much more regular runner and I enjoy it very much. I usually run two to four times a week, with a goal of 20K a week. I enter local races and got one trophy last March (still not sure how)! My husband is a very keen, fast runner so he drags me along to races.
Anyway, I must admit I have not been fasting for two years and want to get back into it as I have put on a few pounds and keep reading new evidence about the health / mental benefits of fasting.
Basically, I have never been a runner and a faster at the same time. It worries me a great deal! I tend to have very low energy most days, and very low BP. I have to drag myself out for runs. Fasting really knocks me out, and I am concerned I won't be able to run when I have fasted all day. I usually keep all my calories for the evening on fast days. Also, I can't pick myself up with sugar/carbs, as I am pre-diabetic. Extra info: I am 40 and at top end of a healthy BMI.
Any advice on the running / fasting combo for someone like me?

Finally, here are my (over-ambitious) running goals for 2016! I'd love to know yours!
-Beat my 5K record: (25'36" on track or 26'32" on road)
-Beat my 10K record (55'09" on road)
-Run a half-marathon
-Get another trophy ;P
06 Jan 2016, 13:43
@MaryAnn - so sorry to hear about your ankle, I hope 2016 is the year you get back to full fitness
@CreakyPete - so pleased you are feeling like a 'proper runner again'!
Happy New Year to everyone, I've been away for a while and not fasting, need to lose 2 or 3 kgs to get back to bottom of BMI range, so am back here. I'm currently marathon training for the Barcelona marathon in March, so I'm trying 5:2 on easy days, but not going as low as 500 cals as with all the running I do (around 50 miles a week) my calorie requirement is at least 2500 per day.
@Nanou - it is possible to fast and run, I did it before quite successfully. I never had a problem running on a fast day but to run the day after without eating much was more difficult. Try fitting your fast days between easy runs, or alternatively do a 16:8 and eat within a 16 hour window but just two meals.
My main goal is a time of 3h30m for the marathon (3h40m the last one)
My PB for a 10k is now 45m50s so anything below that would be good
PB for a HM is 1h42 so anything below that would be good.
I do so many trails now and times are a lot more haphazard so no PBs planned there, just continue to enjoy them and keep getting the podiums (I had 11 last year at age 50 so not bad!)

Good luck to all the runners for 2016, may your podiums and PBs be plentiful!
06 Jan 2016, 15:18
I'm not here very often so I've just noticed these posts. Thanks for the well wishes, everyone. That's quite a picture you've painted, @ADFnFuel! Good luck with your Brighton marathon training, @egduf. Well done on your V65 record, @creakypete!

carieoates wrote: I had the steroid injection in mine several years ago....no prob since. But now you can get a special sock/brace to wear at night which stios the ligament tightening up. Worth a look but not very sexy

For the ankle I just wore a brace and it seems to be better now. I'll look into the PF sock, @carieoates.

Running update: I've been doing 20-30 minutes on the treadmill lately. It seems to be going ok. It's too cold outside so I'm happy on the treadmill for now even though it's boring.
06 Jan 2016, 15:26
Nanou wrote: Hi runners!
I'm back after two years away from this forum. I had just started running at that stage, and in the meantime I have become a much more regular runner and I enjoy it very much. I usually run two to four times a week, with a goal of 20K a week. I enter local races and got one trophy last March (still not sure how)! My husband is a very keen, fast runner so he drags me along to races.
Anyway, I must admit I have not been fasting for two years and want to get back into it as I have put on a few pounds and keep reading new evidence about the health / mental benefits of fasting.
Basically, I have never been a runner and a faster at the same time. It worries me a great deal! I tend to have very low energy most days, and very low BP. I have to drag myself out for runs. Fasting really knocks me out, and I am concerned I won't be able to run when I have fasted all day. I usually keep all my calories for the evening on fast days. Also, I can't pick myself up with sugar/carbs, as I am pre-diabetic. Extra info: I am 40 and at top end of a healthy BMI.
Any advice on the running / fasting combo for someone like me?

Finally, here are my (over-ambitious) running goals for 2016! I'd love to know yours!
-Beat my 5K record: (25'36" on track or 26'32" on road)
-Beat my 10K record (55'09" on road)
-Run a half-marathon
-Get another trophy ;P

Have you considered doing 16:8 instead of 5:2 style fasting? That way you have a long fast every day, but also, you eat a reasonable amount every day so its less likely to affect your running (depending on when you run). A lot of people here find it works well for weigh loss/maintenance.
07 Jan 2016, 11:46
16:8 sounds like a great idea. We have lunch very early where I work so it should be easy to skip breakfast. I sometimes run at 5:30am (yikes! the heat makes it the only option in the morning, and I start work at 7am), but mostly at 5:30pm.
How does 16:8 work exactly? Can I eat normally, without counting, during the 8 hour window? Do I need to fast any day of the week on top of it?
Maybe I will read about it on here. Thanks for the suggestion!
09 Jan 2016, 13:15
Bah, stymied by the weather.
Ready for parkrun 50 today, cycled to the park only to be told parts of the course are flooded so no run today.
Oh well, next week then.
09 Jan 2016, 13:52
Hi @nanou

The 16:8 works like this: You eat no calories for 16 consecutive hours, but you can have calorie-free drinks e.g. black coffee, green or herb teas, water. If you are OK with artificial sweeteners than you can have these in your drinks and also diet sodas etc.

You eat all your food, and have any calorific drinks within the other 8 consecutive hours. So for example, you may have a breakfast at 8 and lunch at 1, and a small snack just before 4, and then eat nothing until 8 am the next day. Or you may have lunch at 12, a snack mid-afternoon, and finish your evening meal by 8, having no more calories until next day' s lunch at 12.

Eating Windows are done every day of the week. Whether you need or want to have 2 low calorie days as well, or restrict calories in the 8 hour window is up to you and how you are doing. I suspect that to avoid consciously restricting calories, the eating period could be shorter, which is why I do 19:5.
10 Jan 2016, 06:39
Great, thanks! I'm starting tomorrow!
Planning a long-ish run today but am very jet-lagged so we'll see how it goes.
I have to say 16:8 sounds much less daunting than 5:2, especially with with running thrown into the mix. I have a 15K trail race at the end of the month so I need to keep my energy up while trying to lose a bit of weight!
11 Jan 2016, 12:22
I managed a 21k training run on Saturday but it was so cold and wet that it took me the rest of the day to warm up again.
Does anyone have any tips for carrying water on a run? I don't like to run with a bottle in my hand but am unsure what alternatives are available. I am at the point now where I will need to hydrate mid-run especially when the temperature start to rise again.
Previous 1 ... 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95 ... 98 Next
1466 posts Page 92 of 98