The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

1467 posts Page 55 of 98
Previous 1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 ... 98 Next
Re: Are there any runners here?
18 Apr 2014, 05:48
[quote="MaryAnn"]Oh boy did I jump the gun with that question. I probably can't run on Sat. Suddenly in agony. It may be sciatica.
I'm having to come around to the fact that I really shouldn't run on Sat even if I feel better on the day (which is looking unlikely).
(((Oh no Mary Ann))) but it is just one race, it you are going to be in too much pain, don't do it! 13 miles is a long way!
18 Apr 2014, 06:52
The doctor was pretty adamant that I not do any exercise for the next little while. I'm sad about it, but I am not considering running tomorrow.

To console myself I've been looking around for other races to enter. Okinawa's season is over--tomorrow's race is the last one except for triathlons. But I found a nice one in Tokyo in May. It's called the International Diversity Run. This is its first year. It's dedicated to Beate Gordon. Here's a blurb about her from the site:
Ms. Beate Sirota Gordon who contributed herself to the draft of the article of the the new Constitution of Japan about human rights and gender equality after the World War II, we succeed to her achievement and hold an awarding event as well as a running event for women who play an active part in a new era in and out of Japan.

though perhaps her obituary is more informative: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/02/world ... at-89.html

I felt so much better today than yesterday, I have reasonably high hopes for recovering soon, so hopefully can resume training before too much longer. It's on May 11. It's an excuse to go to Tokyo, and I'd only be out $50 if I can't run. hmmm. perhaps I'm crazy.
18 Apr 2014, 07:27
Oh, @CreakyPete, but I too admire those fast guys and girls too!

@MaryAnn I do hope you can make your Tokyo run. I also browse for future runs, big and small. It's a lot of fun to get out and meet other runners and it keeps me motivated on any rainy or tired day to get even a little exercise.
18 Apr 2014, 07:54
@MaryAnn, I have had sciatica for about two years- which developed after a back injury. I have been seeing a physiotherapist for about a month & she has given me Pilates exercises & stretches which have helped heaps. (I really wish I'd gone to see her earlier!) The pain still pops up when I move in certain ways - but I now have ways to relieve it.

Hope the pain improves for you & I would highly recommend physiotherapy!
22 Apr 2014, 00:54
well… still not convinced it's the best idea, but I've signed up for the half-marathon. I really need to ask about stretches and exercises. So far everything has been passive (and I've still only seen a chiropractor!) I do feel loads better, though...
22 Apr 2014, 05:50
Quite pleased with myself, completed my first 10km race, for a long time, yesterday. I have been struggling with injury after injury since Sept last year, it has been a frustrating time. :frown:

Anyhow, Garmin says it was 10.05km and ended in 60min 25sec, some way off my PB but heres to the start of my comeback. :victory:
22 Apr 2014, 07:35
congrats, @brian1!
22 Apr 2014, 10:15
Hi alll, just checking in from Tenerife whilst waiting for breakfast. For some unaccountable reason I have been able to run three days out of four, and walked 7 miles on the other day, without doing significant damage to my hips. Not fast, but to be able to run at all on consecutive days has been impossible recently. Quite chuffed!
Sorry to hear about your problem MaryAnn, hope for a quick resolution - and well done Brian on your 10k.
That's all for now, food and sunbathing for the rest of the day!
22 Apr 2014, 12:04
Really Pete, that last sentence was necessary why?

Just kidding enjoy the vacation. :wink:
22 Apr 2014, 16:46
Congratulations on getting back into racing and your 10k race @brian1its just the start of your comeback after injury, well done!
@MaryAnnI would have signed up too...it gives you a goal to aim for and if you aren't fit enough, then tough, but at least you will have the motivation now, good luck!
@CreakyPeteHope you are having a lovely holiday! I'm on a week's rest, walking lots but not running. I'm not missing it as much as I thought I would, but a week isn't long. Not as hungry as usual either, so hopefully I won't put on any weight!
23 Apr 2014, 06:55
Hi runners! I'm new to running but loving it, so I thought I would join!
My husband has been running for a year and trying to make me run but I resisted his attempts until 6 weeks ago. I'm now running 3 or 4 times a week. I'm still slow and not going very far, but I'm enjoying it. I got a nice Garmin watch and enter all my data on Strava, it really motivates me.
I'm hoping to enter a small race at some stage, just 3 or 5K to start with. I'm on a program very similar to C25K and it's working well for me.
23 Apr 2014, 07:03
i think starting slow is smart. It's easy to injure yourself running, especially if you overdo it (says the girl who has been limping around for a week…)

I love entering races. They're very motivating. Shorter races tend to be very community oriented, and not crazy competitive, so a lot of fun.
23 Apr 2014, 07:16
Entering your first race can be so daunting, am I ready, will I make it, I've never run that far in one go, who will see me etc. etc.

And then you do it and you realise that there are so many people there and they don't really care about you but at the same time there is a total feeling of camaraderie.

Old or young, big or small, walking or running, they are all there and enjoying themselves. You get that first medal and you are so proud, and rightly so, then before you know it you have a box full of useless medals somewhere in the garage.

Be sensible, sure, don't overdo it even if you feel invincible but if you are thinking about a 3k or 5k race then you are probably ready. Take the plunge.
23 Apr 2014, 07:29
Hi @Nanou welcome to the runner's thread!
I'm really pleased you are enjoying your running and entering a race is a great motivator. A lot of people in the UK on this thread do 5k park runs every Saturday, do you have any near you? That could also be good to do before a race. +1 for what brian1 said, there is a great atmosphere on the shorter run distance races. Enjoy and keep us updated on your progress!
23 Apr 2014, 07:37
I no longer live in the UK, although I do go back yearly and could enter a park run there one day. There are plenty of races where I live, although right now is the hot season, with monsoon looming, so it's a bit slow race-wise. It suits me, as it gives me a bit longer to get ready!
Previous 1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 ... 98 Next
1467 posts Page 55 of 98