The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

1467 posts Page 58 of 98
Previous 1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61 ... 98 Next
Re: Are there any runners here?
11 May 2014, 17:16
@MaryAnnFantastic! You must be thrilled, to shave that much off your PB with an injury is quite something. Well done and have a good rest this week.
11 May 2014, 17:51
@MaryAnn Well done. It is good when a plan works out :like: :lol:
11 May 2014, 19:37
Fantastic outcome given your doubts about finishing the distance - very well done indeed! Hope you recover swiftly too...
11 May 2014, 21:34
It's done! I completed my very first half marathon on Saturday. My goal was not to be the last one finished, but I managed to finish pretty much right in the middle with a time of 2hrs 13min. I know it's not earth shattering fast - but a year ago I couldn't even run 1km!

The course was really nice - through vineyards and along a river bank with musicians playing at various spots on the course & chocolate & gelato - which I didn't try (probably would have if I'd walked it though!) I would have loved to look at the scenery more, but I was to busy trying not to trip up or stand on the back of someone else's shoes. Running with so many other people was an interesting experience as all my training was done on country roads with just my training partner (the dog)! Hardly ever saw anyone else, just the occasional vehicle.

I feel a bit lost today without a training run to do! Taking this week off though, as my legs are still rather sore. Not sure what to do next - might do another half or may try some 10km races. I would like to improve my speed, although I'm not sure how to go about doing that? If I do another half - I'd like to know how to train to make the last 3km easier?

Lots to contemplate & a bottle of wine to try!
(Everyone who finished the run got a bottle of wine which was nice touch).
11 May 2014, 22:53
Congrats, @Philippa!
12 May 2014, 00:41
Philippa wrote: It's done! I completed my very first half marathon on Saturday. My goal was not to be the last one finished, but I managed to finish pretty much right in the middle with a time of 2hrs 13min. I know it's not earth shattering fast - but a year ago I couldn't even run 1km!

Congratulations! A Personal Best with an excellent time.

Slow static stretches and body weight over a foam roller (or even a rolling pin) along the back of the hamstrings and calves (and yes, even the shins) will go along way to relieve the aches and relax tired muscles. Aim for a pain level of no more than 5-6 when you do this. Where it aches the most is where concentrated gentle pressures back-n-forth will do the most good. A few minutes can make a very big difference.
12 May 2014, 07:12
Philippa wrote: ...Not sure what to do next - might do another half or may try some 10km races. I would like to improve my speed, although I'm not sure how to go about doing that? If I do another half - I'd like to know how to train to make the last 3km easier?

I'm not really sure what the key is to speed. Losing weight seems to have made the biggest difference for me. Intervals are supposed to help. Also, forcing yourself to run up hills as part of your training.

I do a mix of 10Ks and half-marathons. I find pacing easier with the 10k. I have a goal time, and I really push myself to try to make it. With the half marathon, my goal has just been to finish, and that's been enough so far. I've only done three, and each time I've run out of steam at the end, probably because I was pushing myself harder during the race than I normally do during training. Maybe just experience is enough to keep that happening?
12 May 2014, 11:37
Well done Philippa. :victory:
It feels good, doesn't it. :like:
12 May 2014, 14:30
Well done @Philippa! Big gratz! While you recover you can surf the web for the next run. At least I find it inspiring and motivating.
12 May 2014, 21:20
My next one won't be until October. I'm still so sore after Sundays race I'm actually happy about that!
13 May 2014, 05:45
Congratulations @Philippa! It's great to have completed your first half marathon. Most people work up more slowly through 5 and 10k races before venturing to tackle a half!
I agree with Mary Ann, losing weight helps your speed increase. You can also improve it by incorporating interval training into your training. Short sprints at high speed, for example, start with a 45minute jog, and then do shorter distances, e.g 12 x 200metres, aiming for 48 secs per 200 m with a 30 second recoup time between each.
13 May 2014, 08:47
There's not much on in the running calendar here now until Oct/Nov - but 10km races appeal at the moment. (I am doing things a bit backwards by starting with a half aren't I!!!)

Anyway, I was wondering how often everyone runs each week? I was running 4 days per week with one day of cross training, but I've seen some training plans where you run 6 days a week.
13 May 2014, 09:19
Your current training sounds sufficient, and seems to be working! There are all sorts of options from running once a week, like me, to spare your joints from damage to running twice on some days and trying to maintain 60/70 miles a week...

As long as you are getting some variation in pace and distance, and terrain if possible, stick with what is working and keep the resting days.

Have a look at Mark's Daily Apple to see what he thinks of 'Chronic Cardio', having been a professional athlete...
13 May 2014, 10:51
Wow, just checking in and see there are many to send congrats to:
MaryAnn, Brian1, Philippa !!! All your hard work is paying off.
I'm still slugging it out as well, This years Half #7 last weekend with the "Miles for Mankind charity". My times keep improving little by little, PB is 1:51. Found that doing a little longer warmup helps and adding Goji berries to nibble on mid run boosts energy.
13 May 2014, 15:50
@Philippa I only train 3 or 4 days a week, around 45kms running in total, which isn't much compared to @CreakyPete, but I don't have time to do anymore than that with my work and family commitments. I'd love to do more if I could! But the sessions I do are quite intense or long, usually either a 45 minute jog with 5+kms of assorted interval training, or a long run of 1,5 to 2 hours. My club coach says it is better to do a longer training session every other day than a short half hour session every day, for example. It gives your muscles time to repair.
Running a 10k race is different to a half marathon, it is much more intense as you go at a higher speed. During a half marathon I could chat to other people, during a 10k it isn't possible!
Previous 1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61 ... 98 Next
1467 posts Page 58 of 98