The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

1467 posts Page 62 of 98
Previous 1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65 ... 98 Next
Re: Are there any runners here?
30 May 2014, 17:35
@brian1Thank you, I hope you achieve your goal.
30 May 2014, 18:46
Inspired by you all I've just entered my first half. Chesterfield is having it's first full and half marathon on 14th September and will be the first time the dual carriageways have been closed so they can be run on - so I thought it would be rude not to enter. It's also very near to home, another reason to have a go. Have done 10k's previously but never a half marathon distance. 'Proper' training being looked into! Any tips gratefully received.
31 May 2014, 22:23
Way to accept a challenge @AnnieW! :like:

Remember how you felt when you registered for your first 10K? And before that, for your first 5K?
The same thoughts occured both times, didn't they?

Bet money they came back when you signed up for Chesterfield. Those races worked out fine. This one will too! Welcome to the 'crazy' tent!

:smile:
01 Jun 2014, 14:17
Yeah @AnnieW! That's great!
There are lots and lots of half marathon plans out there an you can find one, here is an example of one I like
http://running.competitor.com/2013/03/training/half-marathon-training-program_68037
It's ambitious, so don't be scared, you do not need the long runs above 10 miles to get through! I never did more than 9 miles before my first come back half marathon. But if you can, it's of course better to do the longer runs, very slowly (it will feel like that)

My own top half marathon tips for the first time:
1. Do 3-4 runs a week, 3 is fine, quality is more important than miles.
2. One of the days do a longer slow run. Work up to as long as you can, but 9 miles is cool. Distance is the essence, Not speed at all.
3. One of the days do some short sprints in the middle of your run.
4. One of the days run a faster tempo for a mile.
5. Keep enjoying running, just getting out there running is quite fine if intervals and whatnot seems too much.

On race day:
1. Start slowly and ease in to the race. let the others race! You will be rewarded by overtaking more people than you imagine in the last 2 miles.
2. Drink in the morning and drink at every aid station. You don't lose any significant time stopping or walking at the depots.
3. Forget about your time: Completing a big race is a big thing in itself!
4. Oh, and don't wear/eat/try anything new on race day.

Good luck.
01 Jun 2014, 17:38
Thank you @ADfnFuel and @RunningOlsen. Will take all on board. Have a nice start to training as just about to have 2 weeks holiday when I can run without day to day life butting in which will stand me in good stead for getting out there regularly when the training starts on my return.

Thanks for the link too @RunningOlsen. Only been able to have a quick view but it looks really interesting.
01 Jun 2014, 19:19
Excellent @AnnieW congratulations on signing up for your first half!
Agree with all excellent tips from @RunningOlsen
If you are used to doing 10k races you will be fine. Just don't start off at the pace you do a 10k as a half marathon is a completely different beast. You don't need to carb load in the week previously, but drink a lot the week before rather than the morning of the race. Visit the toilet regularly before the race too!
For training, my longest run was around 18kms but you don't need to do that much. 16km should be fine. My training was as Olsen said, one long run, one tempo and one slow run plus circuit training.
Good luck!
05 Jun 2014, 04:54
Good for you, @AnnieW. Because of my knee issues, I do fewer training runs per week than most (2- one hill run or tempo run and one long run) but I try to make up for it on the elliptical (where I do HIIT). I've heard that training up to 3/4 of the race distance should be sufficient. I do tend to struggle in the last few Ks. I'm not sure if it's pacing or running out of fuel or lack of fitness for the distance.

I haven't been for a run in ages now. I ran in Italy once (oh man, was it amazing--rolling hills full of orchards and vineyards), but didn't run for the rest of my holiday because I got sick. This cold is still hanging on, but I'll try to get out for an easy run at least on the weekend to get back in the swing of things. I'm feeling like a slug these days...
05 Jun 2014, 17:09
MaryAnn wrote: ... Because of my knee issues, I do fewer training runs per week than most (2- one hill run or tempo run and one long run) but I try to make up for it on the elliptical (where I do HIIT). I've heard that training up to 3/4 of the race distance should be sufficient. I do tend to struggle in the last few Ks. I'm not sure if it's pacing or running out of fuel or lack of fitness for the distance.

@MaryAnn
I'm curious if you've tried or considered mid-foot landing as opposed to heel landing while running? It definitely takes a while to convert to midfoot (because of the change to eccentric use of calf muscles) but the landing forces are very-much reduced. A simple way to experiment with this is to run-in-place where forefoot landing is a natural response. Then lean forward slightly from the ankles while continuing to land forefoot/midfoot. The change in center of gravity resulting from the lean will cause you to move forward to prevent falling over.

Also have you considered step rate? Lower step rates are harder on the knees, promote longer strides, and landing in front of the body causing a braking action. Higher step rates reduce impact forces and shorten stride length and bring the foot closer to CG. A clip-on metronome works wonders here.

http://www.amazon.com/Seiko-DM50S-Digit ... roduct_top

edit: added metronome link...
06 Jun 2014, 02:26
I'll give that a whirl, @ADFnFuel. I tried shortening my stride and increasing my step rate (on your advice, I think--on someone's advice here anyway) for the last half-marathon because of my sciatica and hamstring problems. That definitely helped, but it's hard on the quads.
07 Jun 2014, 07:32
Did another 10km this morning, it was cold, about 3 deg but lovely sunshine, managed 55.44, so still improving, happy with that.
07 Jun 2014, 20:51
On my holidays in France and hopefully will be doing my first run tomorrow on the beach :like: . Haven't figured out the tides yet but if it's low tide looks like I'll be in for a treat as there is a wide bay to run along and back by quiet lanes. If The tide's in looks like I'll be exploring the nearby villages. That said have just come in from a beach party so maybe the run will be postponed until Monday :grin: :oops:
09 Jun 2014, 15:12
I hope you are having a good holiday @AnnieW -the weather here is very 'lourd'. I ran 15km yesterday morning, it was much easier than the same run I did Thursday evening when it was really too hot to run. I've got another half marathon (well, 22km) race on Sunday morning and it is in a forest for the most part so hopefully it won't be too hot. I'm going to run the race with a friend from the running club this time - we are around the same pace wise so it will be inerteresting to see if it is easier or more difficult to run a race with a 'buddy', as opposed just to doing training runs with someone.
10 Jun 2014, 04:14
Good luck, @Franglaise! A forest half marathon sounds lovely :-)
12 Jun 2014, 07:14
Hi folks! Havent been around for a few weeks as I broke a bone in a my ankle - ouch! So I've been parkrun volunteering and really really missing my running. I'm considering swiming tonight, a core strength class tomorrow, and maybe a trip on my bicycle at the weekend.
12 Jun 2014, 08:45
Ouch! I hope you heal quickly!
Previous 1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65 ... 98 Next
1467 posts Page 62 of 98