The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

306 posts Page 10 of 21
Previous 1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 21 Next
Re: Starting the 30 Day Shred
14 Jun 2013, 09:15
Great news about the weight loss janeg. Hope you have fab holidays!
16 Jun 2013, 22:17
Oh dear...I shredded last Monday, then Thursday and that's it...and I meant to shred today but our flight was delayed so I didn't get time. Anyway, back to shredding and 5:2 tomorrow after my little break, think I'm going to go with level 2 again!

Well done BethP and Janeg for your results, and well done mummybunny and Effie for keeping going!
17 Jun 2013, 10:19
Welcome back Nicky_94 - I was getting lonely! I had an unintended break on Friday as we went out to dinner and the service was SO SLOW I didn't get home till after midnight. I had intended to Shred when I got home but there was no way I was doing it at that time.

Back on track Saturday and Sunday, but motivation is really starting to flag. Since starting this I have done it every single day except 4. All the breaks I've had have been forced on me to a certain extent - I really wanted to do it on those days but either I was injured or it was too late or I forced myself in the name of sanity and avoiding obsession to take a night off. I'm not really in that place anymore! I'm deep into Level 3 and doing Natalie moves on almost everything - can't do the pikes but I've graduated from Anita on just about everything else. But it's really hard psyching myself up right now. Maybe that's because I'm not really losing any weight and I wonder why I'm bothering. I'm going to keep going every day this week as I have a ball on Saturday and want to at least feel like I TRIED to look decent (that was what was motivating me to start this WoE in the first place), and then I'm going to take stock of where I am and where I want to go. I won't lie and say I'm not disappointed.
17 Jun 2013, 18:11
I bit the bullet and moved on to Level 3. My forearms are going to hurt tomorrow :doh:

I have a little hernia which is messing up some of the abs moves, and I did yell a few choice words at Jillian as she suggested some new crazy activity!

So I'm still here mummybunny, keep shredding :grin:
18 Jun 2013, 12:00
I've just started the shred, having taken inspiration from this forum. I've been fasting since March with consistent, if not dramatic, results I'm very happy with. I was finding it hard to commit to more than a day a week at the gym which was getting me quite frustrated. This seems to fit quite well.

Day 4 today, yesterday was my first fast day workout which I was a little nervous about but I actually found I was far less tired yesterday than on the two previous days (on Sunday I finished the DVD, crawled onto my bed to rest and fell flat asleep on my face...Classy bird).

Aching all over but feels good, down 2lb since I started which I won't grumble about!

Any other new starters?
18 Jun 2013, 12:20
Hi

I have done 6 days of this, but then missed Saturday, Sunday and Monday, whoops! Back on it today.

I find the cardio easy peasy, crunches not too bad, but some of the arm stuff KILLS me. The sideways lunges where you lift the weights to your eyes, really hard. Ditto press ups, really really struggle. Makes me want to cry

But then the chest one with the weights is fine, and so are bicep curls. Weird.

4 more days for me then move up to level 2. My biggest worry is I am so uncoordinated, I struggle to follow moves. Level one was fine though .
18 Jun 2013, 12:28
Welcome redzep66 and emilymeg! Glad you've taken up the Shred - lots of us here have become evangelical about it, as you can tell.

I heartily recommend watching the next level before attempting it - for many of the moves you can't watch and do it at the same time because your head is down.

Good luck, and let us know how you're getting on!
18 Jun 2013, 23:27
So I've been watching this thread for a bit and I decided to start shredding! You've all inspired me. :)

I just started today and, whew, I am beat. I run and bike ride, so I hadn't thought that Level One would be so hard for me. As it turns out, my arms are far weaker than I realized and the core and strength work kicked my butt.

But it'll be improvement from here on out, right?
20 Jun 2013, 08:24
Zarthicus - I think it gets better from about day 4, I seem to remember days 2/3 being worse than day one, but don't let that put you off!!

I'm having a hard time getting back into shredding, I didn't shred yesterday or on Monday :confused: so I must shred today, I would move onto level 3 but I can't do the plank jacks yet so I'm waiting for a bit. At this rate it's going to be a 300 day shred for me :shock:
20 Jun 2013, 08:33
I have just done my 2nd day of the shred. I really felt it today. I am not sure whether to give it a rest tomorrow or go for it. I love the way it works the whole body, especially inner thighs and bingos. Yehhhh!!!!
20 Jun 2013, 09:51
nicky_94, I wouldn't let lack of ability to do plank jacks stop you from moving onto Level 3 - there are none there.

emsy44 and zarthicus, I found when I started Level 1 I was fine for the first couple of days, and then by Days 3 and 4 I was almost crying at the thought of stairs (we were calling it the "comedy walk" upthread). But oddly enough doing the Shred on the days I thought I was going to die was a relief, a physical relief from the pain. By Day 5 it was all gone. I sometimes feel a little stiff now right after shredding, but a bath in Epsom salts usually sees me right, and I don't really ever feel pain the morning after shredding.

I have lost count of the number of days I have been shredding but think it is getting pretty close to 30 if not past that. I have had 4 days off in there for various reasons. A rest every so often is beneficial for the muscles but I find that taking a rest always raises the risk I won't start again! So far I have always gotten back in the saddle and I'm proud of that. I am going to a ball on Saturday and that will be my last day of the shred. I'll post my before and after measurements, though I will warn you that weight loss is probably no more than half a pound.

So what should I move on to? Ripped in 30? 6 pack in 6 weeks? I do like Jillian Michaels, find her endearingly awkward ("I could always use a good chest fly in my life" - really??!!) and motivating. I'd be grateful for any suggestions!
20 Jun 2013, 16:10
Have just counted - it's been 35 days since I started and I've had 4 days off so today is Day 30! I'll try to remember to measure tonight.
20 Jun 2013, 16:24
mummybunny2005 wrote: Have just counted - it's been 35 days since I started and I've had 4 days off so today is Day 30! I'll try to remember to measure tonight.

:like: Well done you!!

I think I'm going to try level 3 tomorrow as I seem to be getting worse at level 2, not better, partly because I'm bored with it, but as I've lost count of the days I have no idea which day I'm on LOL!
20 Jun 2013, 17:49
mummybunny2005 wrote: So what should I move on to? Ripped in 30? 6 pack in 6 weeks? I do like Jillian Michaels, find her endearingly awkward ("I could always use a good chest fly in my life" - really??!!) and motivating. I'd be grateful for any suggestions!

I only did Level 3 for one day. It wasn't too bad but I have realised it is now 30 days until I go on holiday (my reason for 5:2 and shredding in the first place) so I have decided to start at Level 1 again. This time I will try to be more Natalie than Anita (who am I kidding) and I will take a before photo - although you may never see it!

Looking forward to starting this without the initial aches and stiffness. Not doing to badly for someone who hadn't exercised since PE lessons at school :wink:
20 Jun 2013, 18:20
mummybunny2005 - I am a HUGE Jillian Michaels fan. I've done 30DS, Ripped in 30, 6 week 6 pack, Extreme Shed and Shred, No more Trouble Zones and Banish Fat Boost Metabolism.

I rotate through 30DS, Ripped and 6W6P before work. I do two weeks of each level, which is usually roughly 10 days as one day a week I do a longer workout, (rotating between Extreme Shed and Shred, Banish Fat Boost Metabolism and No More Trouble Zones) and take one day a week off.
I'm currently 9 days into level 4 of Ripped so Saturday I'm moving on to 6W6P.

Ripped is HARD. It is really tough. But I always figure better to try, and fail then slowly improve gradually than not to have attempted. Even doing 3/4 of a ripped level is still a hell of a work-out. For me personally the hardest is the first cardio section of level 2. Plank jacks followed by mountain climbers, then plank jacks and mountain climbers again. 2 minutes of cardio in plank. It is AGONY. But there's no feeling like the first time you make it all the way through, no matter how long it takes.

They are ALL worth trying. I'm a bit of a Jillian expert, having been doing her work-outs for around 15 months now. Some days are harder than others but I figure that trying to complete the work-out even if I don't manage it is going to burn more calories and give my body a better work-out than not making the attempt.
Previous 1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 21 Next
306 posts Page 10 of 21